StudentsReview :: Carlow University - Comments and Student Experiences

Carlow University

I am a transfer student and it wasAverageCommunications
I am a transfer student and it was one of the greatest decisions I have ever made. Transferring was fairly easy, and was welcomed with open arms from my department. The professors here care so much about their students (at least in my department) and I wouldn't go anywhere else for my degree.

However, the one downside of this school quite honestly is the food. It really isn't the best and I recommend you bring your own. I really enjoy Carlow, I am sad to see such negative reviews about it. The trick is to stay involved in the many clubs and just meet people. If you get bored then go explore Oakland, there is always something to do.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: D-
I went to Carlow in the 2014-2015 schoolQuite BrightNursing
I went to Carlow in the 2014-2015 school year, when I transferred colleges they were very unhelpful, very unorganized, they try charging you money that you already took care of prior and have to pay it again to get transcripts and they will wait until the very last second to get things done almost making it so you can't start at your new college on time. Some professors I absolutely loved others were very arrogant and downgraded your ability and made you feel stupid especially when taking summer classes there is absolutely NO help outside of the classroom besides the professor and if they don't feel like helping or wanting to really help because they don't think you'll succeed they won't, they will change grades to make sure you don't pass the test percent average needed in the nursing field. If I had the opportunity to go back to the school with a full ride scholarship I wouldn't, you put up with way to much crap then you should with the money you pay to go there.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F
Carlow University Is A Respectable School To GoBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Carlow University Is A Respectable School To Go To:

The only reason why i am making a review is the amount of negative comments regarding Carlow and I'm here to give a positive perspective from my time here.

I am currently enrolled in Carlow's School of Business, being in my third year. I lived a year on campus then moved out into my own apartment my second and third year. I plan on returning to Carlow until my graduation, next spring. (Only taking me 4 fours to graduate, Exactly 4)

My first year on campus, I really enjoyed my time academically but socially it was not the best university. The professors in the school of business are great and really want you to succeed. Some of the professors are tough, but they demand the best quality work. Being a Liberal Arts university, all students must take random classes, but they are all pretty easy.

( I personally call them GPA boosters).
Socially...
Its about 85% female, (that is not the real percent but it's what it feels like). Personally I do not care that it is predominantly women, If you are a person that likes a mixed crowd, or is going to school to find their husband, or like being around other males more then females, Carlow is not the school for you. If you want to go to a party school, Carlow is not the school for you. It could be considered the anti-party school. Its a dry campus, completely dry. You can sneak liquor into your dorm room but beware of the security guards (actual Pittsburgh Police) who are at the entrance of the dorm building. ( Reasons why I moved out after my first year).

But after attending the school for a year, i made friends/acquaintances outside of Carlow and my social life turn out wayyyyyy better. Carlow is located in Oakland, Right beside Carlow (actually right beside... its like a 3 minutes stroll to get there) is University of Pittsburgh. So if you wanna go out and party that bad, there are other colleges close by. Also in Oakland is Carnegie Melon University. And Duquesne University is also very close (5 min bus ride) So just because you go to Carlow doesn't mean that you can't go out and party, you just have to find a person that will invite you. Also Pittsburgh is a fun small city that a lot to do.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2017