StudentsReview :: Cedar Crest College - Comments and Student Experiences

Colgate University -- Hamilton, NY

Cedar Crest College

Cedar Crest is a great school and I

Aug 02 2014Chemistry
Cedar Crest is a great school and I personally love it however the financial aid office is less than helpful. I had a scholarship my first year at Cedar Crest and needed a minimum of a GPA for my scholarship to be renewed and my GPA is higher than that. I just got my bill for the fall semester and my scholarship was not on there. I called the school and they said they would look into it and get back to me. They later called me and said everything is done by computer and they will send me another bill. I received the new bill and it still didn't have my scholarship on it. Now I have to drive up the Cedar Crest (a 45 minute drive) over my summer to get this fixed in person.
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C+

Know that this school will do everything it

Jun 03 2014English
Know that this school will do everything it can to take everything you have. The administration is unhelpful, they don't see students as people as much as they do sources of income. The school doesn't seem to worry about retention at all, students are generally miserable, but the complaints are for naught- there is no one there to listen. I have sent email after email to various offices (financial, academic, registrar, etc) and have rarely gotten replies back, I'm not even sure if they read them, to be honest. They are experts at making themselves look good, but they overcharge you for everything. I have so many friends who have transferred and are much happier now, unfortunately that was not an option for me. I have a lot of great friends here, but I have not met a single person who has not had some sort of breakdown because of this school. It was okay in my freshman year, but the quality has steadily decreased as the price steadily rises.The only redeeming quality, besides the wonderful friendships forged in the pits of despair, is the faculty. I have never met a more friendly and interesting group of people. The professors here care deeply for the students and do their best to make up for the awful experience you have everywhere else but the classroom. They are great teachers, good friends, and understanding people. I honestly don't think I would have survived this long without them. If the administration cared as much as the faculty, or the food service people who are literally like parents who do everything they can to make the schools awful meal system bearable, this school would be A+ across the board.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F

I was overwhelmed and excited by the fact

Jul 29 2014Chemistry
I was overwhelmed and excited by the fact that the science department is top notch. If you want to go into the sciences, and you are a female, this place will push you to be the best woman scientist you will be. An excellent atmosphere, many teachers of all fields will remember you and know you. It's a great feeling. You will get pushed, and they have research opportunities that you should use to your advantage.

The buildings, especially Moore Hall need repair. This year, the second and third floors had a gnat infestation during the summer. It was aggravating to deal with the constant bugs that are in your room. When it comes to the water I don't know what is in it, but you can't make ice cubes with it. Those things leave your drinks with a weird aftertaste.

Since it is a small school, you will have people who just knows everything about everyone, including deep and personal information. That can be really annoying. The drama that goes down There is a lack of racial diversity that has to be acknowledged. But that isn't a problem. Many people are friendly, and there is a few clubs that you can join.

There is a strong LGBT culture , and many of the women there are lesbian, bisexual or bi-curious. I have met a few transgendered folks there too. Many of the women are very open with their sexuality, and that is something I had to deal with constantly. It's not a negative, and I don't mind what people do in their personal lives. However, sometimes it's frustrating to hear some of my peers call someone 'ignorant' because of their personal beliefs about sexuality when they aren't blatantly attacking others. Some of the LGBT members do get preachy when it comes to their sexuality. I'm not ragging on them, it's just that people have to be fair with sexuality and beliefs. There are some ultra conservative people who are flat out ignorant. You have a little of everyone.

The food needs to improve. Badly. The food that is served upstairs in the Dining Hall is not even that great (I found a dead fly in my salad and a tree branch in my soup), so I didn't have a choice. The food at the Falcon's Nest is the same thing over and over again. They are also extremely overpriced, for very little food.

One of my personal gripes with Cedar Crest is their overemphasis on community service. I may get a lot of flack for this one, but it is really messing up my schedule as a rising sophomore. Some of the community service that they offer you is very demanding of your time, especially for science majors. I would prefer it if we can do it on our own time, not forcefully designate a generic schedule for all of the students to follow. Since I don't own a car, I can't travel long distances. It's completely unfair on the student. This school is a good school, but every school has their faults. This what I experienced as a freshman, but I really love the school for the emphasis on women empowerment and education. The president, President Ambar, is AMAZING. Please meet her. Love her. She makes the school come alive. :)

Education Quality: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F