StudentsReview :: Chestnut Hill College - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC

Chestnut Hill College

Sep 24 2013Chemistry
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I came to CHC twice. First when it was all girls and then transferred back in when it was coed. The reason why I transferred out the first time was because they offered me this enormous financial aid package my freshman year so all was good except the campus was a bit depressing, it was not the same as attending a state school socially. When it got to my second year they yanked all or most of my financial aid grants and it was way too expensive. Like 30,000 a year expensive and my parents could not help me. When I transferred back in the second time same deal. Promised lots of grants ect then yanked my senior year when trying to finish. When I went to the office for help with it they just told me to get a private student loan to pay. Not knowing much about it I did take out ALOT of private loans. To this day I am in debt up to my eyeballs. 700.00 a month loan payments to pay back and nothing to show for it. I do not regret transferring somewhere else because 1. the financial aid office helps me if I cannot financially afford it 2. I can actually afford to pay myself if I am not able to get a loan. 3. The major offered at my new school is giving me an actual license to get a job. Most of my friends that graduated from CHC do not have good jobs and have massive debt. Its just not worth it they provide liberal arts degrees teaching degree may be okay.I can thank CHC for helping me learn more about getting in massive debt and nothing to show for it.
Preparedness: B Reputation: F
May 06 2013Political Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I had an excellent experience at Chestnut Hill but like everything else in life you get out of if what you put in. In my first semester I joined several clubs and campus organizations and while there isn't the social atmosphere that one might find in a large degree factory like Temple, there is amazing individualized attention given to every student that asks for it. I think CHC is making all the right moves to be a more respected and sought after college experience and I like to think my involvement helped them in this regard. As the college grows I think more and more people will begin to value what it has to offer. As a side note, my biggest classes were maybe 15 students so you are definitely not just a number here. The administration also worked with me to graduate quickly and career development was always emailing opportunities for summer jobs and internships. Awesome experience!
2nd Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: C
Mar 19 2013Criminal
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
LOCATION: If you're a city person like me, I suggest going somewhere else (unless your a Junior or Senior with a car). There's a SEPTA bus that takes you to the mall or the little shops on Germantown Ave, but other than that, there's nowhere to go really. The school has shuttle buses that can drive you over to a couple other locations, but they aren't that reliable when it comes to arriving on time.

FOOD: Sucks
RESOURCES: The writing, math and foreign language centers are useful. The student activities office definitely is the one place I visit most frequently. They have cheap movie tickets, free tokens, and $3 independence passes.

CLASSES: The classes are small which is good. The professors for the most part are cool. Unfortunately, you have to take two religion classes in order to graduate.

OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Swim test, computer proficiency test, math proficiency test.
DORM LIFE: Eh if you're a first-year student. You'll get put in fontbonne or fournier which are pretty old. When you're a sophomore you can apply for a room in fitz or sugarloaf which are a lot nicer, but more expensive. Sugarloaf is about a mile away from the school though. There's lounges to watch tv in if you can't afford cable. There's also pool tables, ping pong tables, and foosball tables in some.

ACTIVITIES: There are a lot of different things you can get involved in. The only bad criticism I have about the clubs is the quidditch team. They don't give everyone equal opportunity to be on the field. They just throw their favorites in as much as possible rather than eliminating people off of the team. THE PEOPLE: Are all really nice. Some of the girls are immature, but that's probably going to be the case no matter where you go.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016