StudentsReview :: Chestnut Hill College - Comments and Student Experiences

Duke University -- Durham, NC

Chestnut Hill College

The campus is beautiful- the architecture is quiteBrightAccounting
The campus is beautiful- the architecture is quite lovely. The surrounding town of Chestnut Hill is safe, quaint, and nostalgic. However, it is a wealthier section of Philadelphia, so many college students may find that certain shops and restraunts are out of the question. There is no social life at this school, not so much because of the small size but because of the high school attitudes of the students. The students are cliquey, judgemental, and snooty in general- and the athletes get away with whatever they want. An athlete was caught with marijuana and a bong, and the president of the school swept it under the rug. The maintenance of the building is deplorable- there is no air conditioning, which was unbearable until November. If it's 90 outside, it will be 95< in your room. The showers are old and satisfactory at best, and were out of order for a day for emergency repairs (which happen often). The bathrooms are where the laundry machine and dryer are, both located three feet from the front of the stalls. For two weeks the sink in the bathroom could not be used because it was clogged. The toilets were out of order for almost two days because of water pressure issues, which happens at least once per semester. The education I am receiving is decent, though I have caught my accounting professor in errors and mistakes. They will try to eneamor potential students with the architecture, the proximity to the heart of Philadelphia, and the town of Chestnut Hill, but those are not factors that will make up for the overall disappointment you will feel if you come to this school. Another tactic they'll tell you is "get involved" and "join clubs": there are not many to pick from, and the ones that are available really don't do much. I transferred here as my Junior Year with my head filled with beautiful buildings, Harry Potter week (the amount of people using the bathrooms caused the water pressure issues), and frequenting Philly- but now I see that it was a tactic to mask the problems of the school. My heart is broken because I wanted to love this school, but I have never felt so unwelcome or alienated by a community in my life. I wish I had all of my private-school tuition back so that I could transfer to a different school.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Scholastic Success: F
I attended Chestnut Hill College the first yearEnglish
I attended Chestnut Hill College the first year that they accepted males to the college. Even now, almost 10 years later, I can say that I have amazing friends from my time spent at CHC. That being said, I don't think anyone should pay $120K just for friendships. I have to agree with a lot of these posts, I didn't find my time at CHC academically challenging. I found that I grew a lot as a person, but wasn't as mentally challenged as I should have been.

The biggest advice that I can offer to a high school student or college student looking to transfer is, look at a university or colleges career center first. Will they be able to get you a job once you graduate? Do they have great resources for internship or a large list of companies that hire students? When I graduated from CHC it was during the great recession and the only places that CHC recommended I get a job was Lowe's or Home Depot. I personally do not think that a $120K education should result in a job at Lowe's or Home Depot. I can say however that since graduating, I've had the pleasure of moving up quickly in various organizations and each time I've reached out to CHC to extend a hand and open up my office to CHC graduates and interns, I've been ignored. I haven't received a single email back or an acknowledgement from the career office. I find it sad that even as an alum, I would love to help other students get great jobs, but the college isn't doing all that it can to benefit its students.

This school is an absolute joke.Quite BrightCommunications
This school is an absolute joke. It started out okay. But soon, they started accepting swarms of athletes regardless of their actual academic capacity. And then, when that lawsuit rolled around- their true colors came out. If you want to go to a school where you will be taught by passive-aggressive nuns, never be challenged and instead spend your days doing busy work, then have nothing to do at night, this is the school for you. The athletes (most of the population by now) think they're above everyone and have even taken to calling non-athletes "NARP"s (Non-Athletic Regular People). Besides quiet dorm parties (since it is a dry campus) or regular off-campus parties, there isn't really much else to do since everything in the town surrounding the college closes by 5 PM. The transfer rate is high and growing, and chances are you'll meet at least one person who wishes they could transfer but won't because other schools don't accept our credits. Did I mention the bug-infested food and buildings that are literally falling apart, and nobody is doing anything about it? Or the amount of people who have almost dropped out because financial aid continuously screwed them over? Save your time and money, DO NOT go to CHC. It will be the biggest regret of your life.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2017