StudentsReview :: Chatham University - Comments and Student Experiences

Chatham University

The campus was breathtakingly beautiful and so wereQuite BrightCommunications
The campus was breathtakingly beautiful and so were the surrounding neighbourhoods. Although I was an international student, it felt so at home in Pittsburgh and at Chatham College (when I graduated it was still Chatham College). Professors were an institution in their own right and the women I studied with were some of the smartest I've come across. Would never trade my three years there as an undergraduate for anything in the world.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2006
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use: B+
It's really a let down what this schoolPsychology
It's really a let down what this school has become. I feel very sorry for those students just coming in and feel relieved that I'm going out! I stayed because I didn't like the surrounding schools too much; Chatham often has a very low-key environment, especially in the evening. It use to be a very beautiful campus, with nothing but developing LADIES on the campus who respected themselves, others opinions and beliefs, and studied hard to become "Word ready women." Today that image has drastically changed with the start of the new university status. When the president decided to pursue university status I knew then that things were going to drastically change.

I'm a "straight" woman and I've become very offended by the open display of homosexuality. There is no respect for those of us who appreciate being heterosexual. In addition, there is very little respect for Christian principles or those of us who do support the Christian life and live it.

I have also been extremely disappointed by the lack of challenge that is there. I assumed I would receive a rather challenging educational experience, and that has not been the case for the past 4 years. The professors, adjuct, and instructors there are lacking in the ability to provide mental stimulation. This would also depend on the major of your choice, however. Some of the faculty are very friendly, one of the reasons I decided to stay. Others, especially some of the adjucts, are rather rude and uncaring. The music department faculty could really care less about students understanding of the curriculum. They are losing a lot of students because of the poor quality of the program. Many students minor in music because of this.

The psychology department really is the best program there, and it passes according to my opinion with a B+. It could certainly be better, but it has been okay enough to keep me there.

The forensics department is okay, it could certainly be better and so could the faculty that is hired, especially the adjuct. It appears that most of the previous faculty who were highly respected and taught well have either passed-away or moved on to another university where their educational level will be respected.

There are unfortunately a lot of people coming in who are more focused on social acceptance and fun than education and "studiousness." Unfortunately I have been in a pool of social-animals for the past 4yrs. If you are like me, studious, low-key and serious, I would encourage you to rethink Chatham. It was a nice place back in 2006; but again, following the university status, things became bigger and bad. The smaller the campus environment, the better it was. Many admired people have left and many of the students, such as myself, are on their way out because of this and the many disappointments. I really am counting down the days to graduation and I can't wait. The environment is very immature at times. Every now and then you will meet someone who is mature, serious, focused, and carries themselves in a lady-like fashion. Everyone is not the same. I would hope that no one would generalize and lump me in with the group I so readily want to escape from! I have been patient because of circumstance. But each year a new fall season comes and new students are accepted, the environment changes.

I know things much change, but the changes here have changed things for the worst and I'm afraid to see what Chatham will become in the next 2-3 years.

I wish you luck if you are seriously thinking of attending. I would not go so far as to intentionally discourage you; but I would encourage you to keep your eyes and mind open for things before making a final decision. A lot of times the credits you have earned will not transfer to other colleges, another reason why I stayed, so it's best to make sure you want to attend. Duquesne is okay, Carlow is okay, Chatham is okay,but Pitt is really not a good choice unless you like large settings where things may take some time to get accomplished with the administration, registration, and financial aid.

In conclusion, one of the most disappointing things about Chatham is that when I've ever done something outside of Chatham, people would credit them for how I am. I could never smile and go along, because I knew deep down that Chatham had very little to do with my overall development. I would encourage you to take control of your own education, that is, anywhere you decide to go, but especially at Chatham. YOu just have to know how much more information you need to survive there. In other words, you need to evaluate whether or not you're receiving the proper education and if you aren't and must still attend, do outside research and learn on your own.

It is also best to keep in mind that no college is perfect! There are imperfections in our imperfect world. But there are institutions that can come close to your expectations and that's why I applied to Chatham some years ago. It came closest to my expectations of a college. Just remember that each passing year will create changes at your school.

Best of luck! p.s. one good thing is that the college is becoming more co-ed, and so that lessens the homosexual over-tone the school can appear to have some days. My mom sent me here to help me stay focused and to keep males out of my way while I pursue positive things! But homosexuality was something we did not foresee or expect. I guess we were blinded! But the good thing is that there are more males now and young women who are not homosexual and that keeps things even!

I will not beQuite BrightCommunications
I will not be going back to this school. Horrible teachers, students and all around let down for a person who loves to be around people and learn.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013