StudentsReview :: Carnegie Mellon University - Comments and Student Experiences

Cornell University -- Ithaca, NY
Massachusetts Institute of Technology -- Cambridge, MA

Carnegie Mellon University

I would definitely say that CMU is a

Feb 03 2002PreMed and Medical
I would definitely say that CMU is a "nerd school"-the work is tough and there's a lot of it, but it's also very student-oriented. It's very dissimilar to some other "big-name" schools in that it treats everyone like a person with something important to contribute. I love it here, although sometimes I wish it was a more relaxed atmosphere, and that I had more time to just go out and party.
1st Year Female -- Class 2005
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: C

People at this school ARE different

Oct 16 2001Biology
People at this school ARE different. Given that I belive that that makes this school that much better. The more different personalities there are the better the experience at a school is. Yes you are going to have weekends here where there is nothing to do, but there are other weekends where there is a to of stuff to do. It's all how you look at things, I see CMU as a good place to get a good education and a good place to make friends and have fun, so it is for me. Others see it as a place of intense work, people who only worry about their own major and work, and no fun. So it is that way for them. I would recommend this school to anyone who is open minded, granted you will get frustrated with some people here who aren't, if you are open minded you won't mind then will you?
1st Year Male -- Class 2004
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: C-

I came to CMU totally unprepared

Dec 12 2001Architecture
I came to CMU totally unprepared. I did minimal research when I was choosing a college, and did most of my application on the day it had to be postmarked. I knew nothing about my major, and little about the school. I started to be a little worried when I got here, and when people heard that I was an architecture major, they told me the horror stories about their archie friends who spent ridiculus amounts of time in the studio. Also, at the first meeting of the freshman architecture class, they told us that CMU was currently the #2 architecture school in the country. At a school where students are known for working all the time, architecture students are generally acknowledged to be some of the busiest, hardest workers on campus.

The program is great, the teachers really care, and the students are amazingly talented and versitile. However this is not a program for the unsure. You won't pick an elective until your 4th semester, and you won't have time to explore any other options. You will wonder if you are devoting your life to this because you want to or because you will not do well if you don't give all of you self. If you do have a few free moments, you won't feel like rethinking any major life decisions, or for that matter, like thinking at all. This is not a school for the lazy, or for procrastinaters. This is not a school for people who need sleep... EVER. This is, however, an amazing place to be and learn and experience life. You will work, and you will bleed. If you don't succeed it will be your own fault. While you are expected to succeed, the faculty will do whatever has to be done to make you able to do what you need to do. Architecture is like no other major or proffesion, and CMU is like no other place.

1st Year Female -- Class 2006