StudentsReview :: Delaware County Community College - Comments and Student Experiences

Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA
Saint Mary's College of Maryland -- St. Mary's City, MD
Maryland Institute College of Art -- Baltimore, MD

Delaware County Community College

Overall, I am extremely disappointed with DCCC.BrightCommunications
Overall, I am extremely disappointed with DCCC. Each time major issues occurred. Once, I demanded my money back for an English Comp 1 class, in which we had 6 teachers in 6 weeks. I didn't learn a thing-And they left it on my transcript as an F. Also, I took a paralegal class that the teacher was supposed to teach to criminal justice-but used advanced material from Paralegal program & unless you had the prerequisites you were screwed. She messed up big time but I have the F. I hate this school-don't waste your money!

They are disorganized & incompetent. My girlfriends husband graduated in PTK garb only to get a letter 6 mos. later, he hadn't graduated!! Unbelievable, I've got debt for F's.

Now, they've got the system down & I'm an online student-it's Thanksgiving-there's no one to communicate with!! I've got deadlines, but no access!!!!!!!!!!Lastly, although I've been a high gpa student (3.86), Due to those F's & some other mistakes, they put me on academic/financial aid probation. One would think the intelligent thing to do would be to give this student a heads up-not screw then on every turn. I am transferring to another school because this one is incompetent!!

2nd Year Female -- Class 2018
University Resource Use/ spending: B+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Delaware County Community College has an excellent GraphicDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Delaware County Community College has an excellent Graphic Design program. After receiving my AFA in 2012, I decided to continue on at a four-year institution. I am far better prepared for the coursework than other students that have only attended the four-year university or attended other colleges prior to the one we're in now.DCCC's instructors are extremely professional and care about each student's success. My advise to any prospective student is to come prepared, take the coursework seriously, don't cut classes, be on time or early for classes, and enjoy the experience.
The paralegal program at this school is aQuite BrightOther
The paralegal program at this school is a joke, though it has somehow managed to attain accreditation from the American Bar Association. My goal was to leverage the power of that ABA accreditation while getting my certificate here (post-bacculaureate work) but I have now decided to transfer to a different institution to complete my coursework as a result of substandard teaching, poor feedback, and professors who could best be described as aloof.

All of the professors I've had at DCCC, at least in the paralegal program, are practicing attorney. Their practical experience is not in dispute. Where they are seriously lacking is their ability to actually teach a class, convey information, and provide a real education to students. All too often, classes descend into tangents, anecdotes, and other unhelpful miscellany that gets us all nowhere. Most professors don't want to be in class and dismiss early as a result. Grading is arbitrary, since most assignments involve writing. Explanations for grades are not provided, so students are left guessing as to where/why they can improve, and how.

I took two classes outside of the paralegal program just for personal enrichment, and those classes were moderately better. Even so, the professors still seemed to be a bit absentee and distracted by other things. I get that these people are adjuncts, but I shouldn't feel as if my education is their secondary concern. If that's the case, get another job.

The online experience is not that great, either. Two of my classes were entirely online, and the WebStudy interface made that a huge pain. WebStudy seems like a distance learning application from 2002, and it hasn't been updated since at least that year. The DelaGATE portal is clunky and tiresome to navigate, and also looks like it hasn't been updated since the turn of the century.

The financial aid department is unhelpful and provides ZERO communication. The paralegal program director either does not respond to emails or takes 3+ weeks to do so. Professors are inconsistent with email reply times and the helpfulness of their replies can be mediocre at best.With that said, DCCC has done some things right. Ample parking is available, the school offers secure wifi to students, and there are plenty of computers available throughout the day. Classrooms are clean and mostly updated, though some look bleak and decidedly Soviet in nature. If given the choice, however, I would undo this past semester at DCCC and choose to get my certification from another program, perhaps the online options at Boston University, Duke, Rutgers, and elsewhere.

1st Year Male -- Class 2015