StudentsReview :: Dickinson College - Comments and Student Experiences

Indiana Business College (Lafayette) -- Lafayette, IN
Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Dickinson College

The school is overcrowded and housing in horrible.Quite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
The school is overcrowded and housing in horrible. Kids are crammed in rooms and options are very few. Resources for students are limited. Some professors are exceptional, and for that I am thankful I am here. But if you are not a Lacross player or football player (both seem to run the school), its not the right place for you. The residents of Carlisle simply despise the students and the college and there is not a good relationship between the two. As a student if you try to shop in Carlisle you are given dirty looks and people are rude.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I recommend students find a similar liberal artsQuite BrightEconomics
I recommend students find a similar liberal arts college that is more interested in the student. There is little support for internship opportunities, research opportunities, etc...the things that are most important on a graduate school application. The school is over crowded, and education is sacrificed to enter in more students to increase their financial situation.
Preparedness: C Reputation: F
After spending almost a year at Dickinson, it'sQuite BrightEconomics
After spending almost a year at Dickinson, it's safe to say this institution is not for me, and I found many problems with the institution.

I'll start with the good.
The academics are excellent. The alumni connection is strong and growing stronger, many successful people in all fields attended this college. The professors are engaging, brilliant, and genuinely want you to succeed. The campus is gorgeous and well kept.

The college has few upsides, the downfalls by far outweigh the good.
The social aspect is terrible. I found many students to be cliquish, standoffish, arrogant, unfriendly, and somewhat snobby. It's a small school, so friend groups somehow magically form quickly and people start to shut others out. I found there are two types of people. The preppy kids which make up a majority of the student population, and the nerdy, artsy population which makes up the other half. Middle grounders, like me, aren't plenty and it may be hard to fit in. Parties are very sports and club based. It's possible to get in if you know the right people. I found the nightlife got monotonous quickly, it's mediocre at best.

The town of Carlisle is far from a college town. The relationship between the residents of Carlisle and the students is broken. Many residents (townies) are hostile towards students and don't like us. There isn't much to do in Carlisle. Having a car or a friend with one will make everything better. There are some good restaurants and shops, but not many. The college is located next to the worse part of town. Students have been robbed and assaulted, the college and town has gotten much more dangerous over the years.

The administration doesn't really tend to students needs. It's very disconnected from the student population. Many students complain about the administration and agree changes need to be made to it.

The food is decent. It has some on and off days. The lack of a 24-hour option is somewhat inconvenient as clubs, sports, and work can make it difficult to eat at certain times. The "caf" is packed during peak hours.

The housing is unfair and some dorms are downright awful. The walls are paper thin; doors can be heard slamming down the hall, other noises can be heard during the night as well. I found many students left their dorms and common areas messy. The lack of consideration for themselves and their peers was shocking. Housing apparently gets better, but it's a lottery system and it's easy to get bad housing again.To conclude the review, I heed this to any prospective student. Know what you really want in a school. I had no clue what I really wanted. I blew $62,000 for an experience I wish I hadn't gone through. Know the school, people, and environment you wish to be in the next 4 years of your life. Choosing your college is a vital decision for the growth of yourself as an adult and student. If anyone interested in Dickinson asks me if they should go, I would tell them to run far away and don't look back.

1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A, Surrounding City: D+
Dickinson College
Compare DickinsonSave Dickinson

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→