StudentsReview :: Drexel University - Comments and Student Experiences

Villanova University -- Villanova, PA

Drexel University

I was not planning on going to DrexelQuite BrightComputer Science
I was not planning on going to Drexel and only looked at it because we were at Penn next door. I am not big on reviews but was searching for some information and found this site. I think the Drexel now is different than even a few years ago at least per my experience and what I have been reading. I was not charged when I was on coop and I know that is a recent change. I found the student body to be very "real" and hardworking and helpful. The academic world has spun out of control and I feel Drexel offers incredible opportunities to stand out IF you take out advantage of all they offer. TAKE the research opportunities, MEET with your professors after class, SEE the cultural activies at a discount all around you, NETWORK with like minded motivated students and have some FUN too. I was offered a really great scholarship that helped but I also added in the 18 months of paid co op experience to deduct from my total. I do know some upperclassmen who have moved off campus and have saved a lot. So I am incredibly proud to be at DREXEL and feel part of the upward movement of this rising and hip school. Perhaps it's not cool to be positive on this site, but that's my 2 cents. Best of luck to everyone searching and hope to see you on campus. It certainly helps too if you like an urban environment. I will share that initally I was looking at more rural campuses. I had an awakening when I did an overnight and realized that my social options involved a red cup every weekend. I'm not against that but I do like to see concerts, sports, maybe go out to a real restaurant. Having Drexel/Penn together makes for a great college feel in a big city. I'm having the time of life.
more→Jan 08 2015
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: B
While the co-op program is a large plusQuite BrightCivil Engineering
While the co-op program is a large plus for the university (and the reason I've stayed until the start of my 3rd year), I will be leaving at the end of the year. Part of my reasoning is personal, but a large is due to the University.

First, the campus is horrendous. I have no problem with construction going on, but there has been a construction site somewhere on campus since I've stepped foot in Philadelphia. It's all concrete and buildings, most of which are ugly.

Second, the price is extremely high for a mid-tier school. I come from a middle class family and received no financial aid from Drexel. I did get a scholarship, which is the only reason I can (barely) afford this school. The debt just isn't worth the mediocre education Not to mention there are a lot of upper class kids at Drexel, which I have no problem with... until they flaunt their wealth and start talking about how they have a Mercedes or visited numerous continents. The shit get's tiring, and quite a few are arrogant.

Third, the area surrounding Drexel isn't the best (unless you count Penn's campus), and I wouldn't venture too far north or west at night. Luckily center city is a short walk away, and public transit is readily available. Public Safety can usually be found roaming around as well and you always run into at least two on the way to class, but they usually mind their own business. Also, if your looking for Parties, this sin't the place to do it. Drexel is usually pretty dry minus the frats.

Fourth, the academic advisors aren't that great. I asked mine to start the process so I could double major, and I had to email her 3 times to make sure she actually started because she never responded!

Fifth, some professors are hard to reach, (they usually hold office hours when I had other classes), and I feel aren't that approachable. Granted, there are a few good/great ones, but the rest are sub-par or bad. I'm a Civil Engineering major, and I'd say 2 of my three favorite professors came from the English and Screenwriting departments.

Overall, I loathe it here. It's been toxic for my mental health (and I came in with no problems), the school is more focused on grades than the students actually learning (minus co-op), and there's no campus spirit. I can not wait for the day I leave Drexel. I'll be riding out with my middle finger over my shoulder and heading towards greener pastures.

more→Nov 26 2014
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Surrounding City: A-, Useful Schoolwork: D
Electrical Engineering
Going to drexel has easily been one of the worst decisions I've ever made
more→Nov 23 2014