StudentsReview :: Drexel University - Comments and Student Experiences

Villanova University -- Villanova, PA

Drexel University

Nov 23 2014Electrical Engineering

Going to drexel has easily been one of the worst decisions I've ever made

NOT WORTH THE 70K

Nov 18 2014Economics
NOT WORTH THE 70K IT COSTS YOU EVERY YEAR!! For a university that takes so much money from you already, they nickel and dime you for everything else. NOT WORTH THE MONEY AT ALL!!
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

While the co-op program is a large plus

Nov 26 2014Civil Engineering
While the co-op program is a large plus for the university (and the reason I've stayed until the start of my 3rd year), I will be leaving at the end of the year. Part of my reasoning is personal, but a large is due to the University.

First, the campus is horrendous. I have no problem with construction going on, but there has been a construction site somewhere on campus since I've stepped foot in Philadelphia. It's all concrete and buildings, most of which are ugly.

Second, the price is extremely high for a mid-tier school. I come from a middle class family and received no financial aid from Drexel. I did get a scholarship, which is the only reason I can (barely) afford this school. The debt just isn't worth the mediocre education Not to mention there are a lot of upper class kids at Drexel, which I have no problem with... until they flaunt their wealth and start talking about how they have a Mercedes or visited numerous continents. The shit get's tiring, and quite a few are arrogant.

Third, the area surrounding Drexel isn't the best (unless you count Penn's campus), and I wouldn't venture too far north or west at night. Luckily center city is a short walk away, and public transit is readily available. Public Safety can usually be found roaming around as well and you always run into at least two on the way to class, but they usually mind their own business. Also, if your looking for Parties, this sin't the place to do it. Drexel is usually pretty dry minus the frats.

Fourth, the academic advisors aren't that great. I asked mine to start the process so I could double major, and I had to email her 3 times to make sure she actually started because she never responded!

Fifth, some professors are hard to reach, (they usually hold office hours when I had other classes), and I feel aren't that approachable. Granted, there are a few good/great ones, but the rest are sub-par or bad. I'm a Civil Engineering major, and I'd say 2 of my three favorite professors came from the English and Screenwriting departments.

Overall, I loathe it here. It's been toxic for my mental health (and I came in with no problems), the school is more focused on grades than the students actually learning (minus co-op), and there's no campus spirit. I can not wait for the day I leave Drexel. I'll be riding out with my middle finger over my shoulder and heading towards greener pastures.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2017