StudentsReview :: Drexel University - Comments and Student Experiences

Villanova University -- Villanova, PA

Drexel University

I'm an Interactive Digital Media (design and programming)Super BrilliantDesign Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
I'm an Interactive Digital Media (design and programming) major in the Westphal College of Media Arts and Design. While one might thing that an arts major is an easier plan of study, it really is not. Every class I take is relevant to my field and pushes me to work the hardest I ever have, and I learn a lot. I am actually a transfer student from another university, who used to be a physics major. I can easily say that this design program (which is heavily group projects and long term assignments) is much more difficult than science and math courses which are mainly exam based. Drexel's design school is one of the best out there- especially when you consider coop. Coop provides students with 6 months of intensive work experience in their field, and typically is paid. The first two and a half years of study are prepping your portfolio for coop, so take it seriously! Even the basic intro courses will leave you with some of your best work, so don't slack.Drexel University as a whole isn't for the faint-hearted. This is a school for students that are ambitious, hard-working, and persistent. If you don't have these qualities, you won't succeed here.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: C
Drexel uses the tagline "Drexel is different" liberally,Super BrilliantEngineering Department
Drexel uses the tagline "Drexel is different" liberally, but it really is when compared to the traditional higher education, and it's taking some time for the different model to really gain acceptance. The co-op program is irreplaceable and absolutely worth it even if it causes a less-than-average amount of school spirit since not everyone is on campus at one time.

Drexel is infamous for its "Drexel shaft," or endless bureaucratic inconvenience, but I've learned that it's really only because of the insane amount of resources that Drexel makes available to its students. This isn't a school where administration will hold your hand and help you get your education: you have to work for it, but once you take the first step, all of Drexel's various departments (honors program, department resources, fellowships office, civic center/community service, and so on) will provide everything in their power to ensure your success.

Drexel is inseparable from Philadelphia. Many Philadelphian initiatives are connected to university happenings and projects, and nightlife is almost completely dependent on either Center City or UPenn next door.

I am a biomedical engineering major, and I've never found the department to be lacking. Faculty are not so absorbed by their research that they ignore their students - in fact, they are especially open to undergraduate research and innovation, as is the rest of the university, in my experience with other departments. There is so much amazing research going on that isn't happening out of sight of the students.

Pennoni Honors College is popping. So much going on and many productive dialogues being had. It's a priceless supplement to my education, as are the humanities departments, which are not completely separate from engineering, though the amount of communication could be better.

There's always something going on on campus. Even though most students are commuters, the majority of them live in Powelton Village just off campus and still spend a lot of time in campus buildings. There are many, many student organizations worth your time that hold events frequently. Campus Activities Board can always be relied on to hold fun events actually worth going to and to get plenty of discounted show tickets for students.

I'll admit, Drexel gets expensive, but I'm here on a full-tuition scholarship that they've followed through with completely. Co-op allows students to make a good chunk of that money back, but freshman housing and meal plans still get pricey.

Ultimately, Drexel is absolutely worth it. I've had a fantastic couple of years so far and can't wait to get back into classes since I'm on co-op now. Sometimes the bureaucracy and the lack of political or social activism on campus can get me down, but the resources and the people are here, so long as students take the initiative.Not to mention that Drexel is the best possible place to launch a career, period. I've had countless connections and fully-paid trips to present my research because of Drexel co-op and research initiatives. My resume is great, all thanks to the helpful people in administration. I know that if I didn't reach out to them on my own time, then my resume would look terrible because no one came and spoonfed me the help; the effort to seek out those people is necessary, but it's not difficult to find them.

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C+
I was not planning on going to DrexelQuite BrightComputer Science
I was not planning on going to Drexel and only looked at it because we were at Penn next door. I am not big on reviews but was searching for some information and found this site. I think the Drexel now is different than even a few years ago at least per my experience and what I have been reading. I was not charged when I was on coop and I know that is a recent change. I found the student body to be very "real" and hardworking and helpful. The academic world has spun out of control and I feel Drexel offers incredible opportunities to stand out IF you take out advantage of all they offer. TAKE the research opportunities, MEET with your professors after class, SEE the cultural activies at a discount all around you, NETWORK with like minded motivated students and have some FUN too. I was offered a really great scholarship that helped but I also added in the 18 months of paid co op experience to deduct from my total. I do know some upperclassmen who have moved off campus and have saved a lot. So I am incredibly proud to be at DREXEL and feel part of the upward movement of this rising and hip school. Perhaps it's not cool to be positive on this site, but that's my 2 cents. Best of luck to everyone searching and hope to see you on campus. It certainly helps too if you like an urban environment. I will share that initally I was looking at more rural campuses. I had an awakening when I did an overnight and realized that my social options involved a red cup every weekend. I'm not against that but I do like to see concerts, sports, maybe go out to a real restaurant. Having Drexel/Penn together makes for a great college feel in a big city. I'm having the time of life.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2013