StudentsReview :: Duquesne University - Comments and Student Experiences

Syracuse University -- Syracuse, NY

Duquesne University

I came to Duquesne University as a freshman

Jul 22 2014Nursing
I came to Duquesne University as a freshman in the nursing program with high expectations.I transfered out following my first year to a school closer to home. I had spoken to a large number of people over facebook and everyone seemed extremely friendly and open minded. I quickly learned that this was not the case. Socially, it became very cliquey extremely quickly. Most of the people I met were from Pittsburgh and went to private schools. If that was not the case then mom and dad were very well off and were paying the full tuition. Socially, you get out of it what you put into it, greek life is big on this campus especially with the girls. If you dont rush it becomes a little bit harder to find friends. But with the numerous sororities on campus it is not hard to find your perfect fit.If I had stayed I would have rushed fall of my sophomore year.

Academically I came in with some basic understanding about medicine and the nursing profession. The classes were so easy I did not go and still got an A. For the core class requirements including writing and philosphy, those were challenging and allowed me improve my writing skills. For the most part the professors were pretty good, with the exception of my nutrition teacher who was really overweight. The advising staff was easily accessible. The nursing staff was also fairly easily accessible and if you had any questions they would respond to your emails or set up a time to meet in person.

The campus itself is beautiful and Pittsburgh is a fantastic city. You will be able to find something to do on the weekends. There's really good restaurants and bars and of course the Steelers are always a fun time. You go out and explore you will find something to do. My biggest piece of advice is if you come to Duquesne you need to put in the effort socially, people will not come to you, but once you find your friends at Duquesne you have found friends for life.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C+

The nursing school is

Feb 03 2014Nursing
The nursing school is one of the most unorganized groups I have ever been a part of. There is no communication among faculty, no one seems to know what is going on, and all plans and changes are mad last minute. I would not recommend this program to anyone.
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Surrounding City: A+, Education Quality: F

I'm so glad I came to this school

Oct 25 2014Other
I'm so glad I came to this school. If you're looking to major in OT, Duq has one of the most prestigious programs in the country, and it definitely shows in the school's academic and professional standards. It's a lot of work. BUT, the faculty is always there if you need help. Even though the school is a medium-large sized school, you really get a personal feel as an individual. Each professor is required to have office hours where you can come in and get help with anything. The faculty really wants you to succeed.

The campus is gorgeous and well-kept. The freshman dorms are not as nice, but what can you expect from freshman dorms? The freshmen can live in Assumption, Martin's, Ann's, or Towers. Assumption is the quietest, Towers is arguably the nicest (not many freshmen live here, though). No matter where you live, everyone's going to be super down to earth. The idea that Duq students are arrogant and snobby is a total myth.

There's always something to do on the weekends. If you party, there's a bus that runs up to Oakland (Pitt parties), and a bus that runs to South Side (Duq parties). If you like shopping, there's also a bus that runs up to the Waterfront. The South Side is also easily accessible in walking distance from Duq's campus. You'll find a lot of "Duquesne" school spirit in South Side as well. If you're in the Honors College, you can get into any Pittsburgh museum for free with your Duq ID. Most of the museums are scattered around the North Shore. The cultural/strip district are also in walking distance from campus. Basically, you'll never run out of things to do.

There's a club/organization for pretty much anything you're interested in. During the second or third week of school there's a day called DuqExpo where every club spreads out a table on Academic Walk and tries to get you to join. Don't be afraid to sign up for things that look fun to you, even if they don't particularly pertain to your major. The Greek system is pretty large at this school, but the Greeks don't have any kind of privilege over the students who aren't involved in Greek life. The freshmen aren't allowed to rush until Spring semester. There's an unofficial "Greek row" on South Side, but, officially, the frats and sororities live on-campus in their own wing in Towers.

Athletics aren't huge here, but they're fun to follow. You'll find the most support for soccer, football, and basketball. The athletes at this school, for the most part, are really friendly.

Duq IS a Catholic school, but it's easy to forget that once you're on campus. I never felt like the religion was shoved down my throat and they're really respectful of other religions. Not much of the student body seems to be super religious. During Orientation week, they really try to reinforce the idea that it's a Catholic uni, but that subsides once Orientation week ends.I would highly recommend Duquesne. Like I said, I'm really glad I came here. If you're looking to go into the field of Health Sciences or Pharm, Duq is one of your best options as far as prestige and academics go. The students and faculty are friendly, the food is decent, and there are so many things to do on and off the Bluff.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018