StudentsReview :: Elizabethtown College - Comments and Student Experiences

Stetson University -- Deland, FL
Mary Washington College -- Fredericksburg, VA

Elizabethtown College

Quite BrightBiology
You are not a number here, you are part of a family.
4th Year Female -- Class 2009
Individual Value: A+, Surrounding City: B
Etown is a great school if you areBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Etown is a great school if you are looking for a challenging education with lots of opportunities to get involved on campus, volunteer, and study abroad. Business, OT, Education, and Music Therapy are all very strong and the other departments are strongly rooted in the liberal arts. Although the school has a high price tag you do get your money's worth if you make use of all the resources it has public schools do not. The school is building a good reputation in the Mid-Atlantic and many of our alumni are doing big things.

As a business student I was surprised by how much I learned after four years. I learned the business knowledge while also unknowingly developing my soft skills needed for a successful career. Professors challenge students to develop strong communication skills and student groups help students develop leadership skills. I am definitely more prepared for my first job than students from other schools.

As far as the non-educational stuff Etown has its pros and cons. It is a small school in a rural area so there is not much going on in the town, and most stuff is a drive away. The social scene is not that large and focuses around small groups based on student groups and sports teams. The party scene is not huge so if you are looking to go out and meet new people every weekend don't come here. If you were like me at 18 and not ready to take on a big school, Etown is a great place for personal growth.

The downside is there is very little diversity in the student body. Mostly white students from the surrounding states. The majority of guys came to the school to play sports and mostly consist of the jock type who wants to get wasted every weekend. The girls outnumber the guys and many are a bit idealistic and immature. That being said there are just as many solid interesting students who are active on campus. If you like to hang out with small groups of close friends on the weekends this will be a school for you.

I found some great friendships that will last a lifetime. I admit I got sick of the school after a two years so I went abroad experienced something different and was glad to be back on campus when I returned. So if you are the type of person who is highly motivated and have a smaller tight knit group of friends Etown is the right place for you. If you want a larger school with a larger social scene it is not for you.

Preparedness: B+ Reputation: C
A am a 2005 graduate.Quite BrightPolitical Science
A am a 2005 graduate. The main reason I attend Elizabethton was due to the fact that it was easy to get into if you were a transfer, and in fact the application fee was waived. What I liked: The professors were very approachable and personal. I felt safe on campus, and liked the fact that I did not have to cross 5 major highways to get to class. Things I did not like: Living in the basement of Ober. Dirty rooms, dirty hall, dirty bathroom, for 40,000 a year dirty is not what I expect. I would expect that at a public school. There is a lack of diversity. White upper class uber conservative types. The guys main goal is to get drunk and hook up on the weekends, and the girls number one agenda is to spend 4 hours straightening their hair, picking out their "outfits", spraying a bottle of perfume on, and then walking around campus in high heels roaming from one disgusting party to the next. It was hard as an out of state student with no car to leave the campus. For the two years I was there, I basically lived in a bubble around campus. It appears the town's main goal is to pretend like a college is not there. there is no interaction at all. The students who do stay on campus wake up at noon, then head to the mall, and then start their evening preparations...kinda pathetic huh. I currently owe 50,000 for two years of attendance at E-Town, to put that in perspective I pay 440.00 a month to pay back these school loans! As a school teacher this is over 1/4 of my months salary...that is wrong. Additionally the school sends emails and letter at least 4 times a month asking for donations! Please think about how much you will owe, and the type of experience you desire in college before selecting this school or anyone other college.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2005
Education Quality: A, Surrounding City: F
Compare ElizabethtownSave Elizabethtown

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→