StudentsReview :: Elizabethtown College - Comments and Student Experiences

Stetson University -- Deland, FL
Mary Washington College -- Fredericksburg, VA

Elizabethtown College

I initially came to Etown because of theBrightSocial Work
I initially came to Etown because of the Social Work Department and I thought I wanted a small school setting. My first semester, I had a relationship and a great group of friends. But once my significant other broke up with me, I lost my entire group of friends. Bottom line, if you don't have a strong social life at Etown, you will quickly become a loner. People at Etown stick to their own small cliques and are not likely to interact with anyone outside their clique. If you plan on going out to party, watch yourself because Campus Security is ready to crack down on anyone, even the dean's list students. I have had about three different roommates and I had significant problems with each one of them. If you decide to come to Etown, whatever you do, STAY OUT OF THE DRAMA. Trust me, you do not want bad blood at this school. Etown is like high school, part 2. Your reputation is everything and what people think of you does matter because you are forced to live with them. I have had people gossiping about me literally right outside my door. The only thing good I have at Etown are my jobs (jobs are pretty easy to get on campus). However, I am transferring out of Etown because even though the Social Work program is awesome, it is not worth it to have to live in such a toxic environment. If you choose Etown, please use my experiences here as a caution. Stay out of college drama, don't do anything to give yourself a bad reputation, and find a group of people who won't throw you in the dust or you will sink very fast.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Scholastic Success: A, Social Life: F
Elizabethtown College is a great school to goQuite BrightLanguage - French/Spanish/etc.
Elizabethtown College is a great school to go to if you are an occupational therapy or communications student. If you are like me, and are coming here for a liberal arts degree, be advised, the administrators do not care about you. They spend less on the programs for liberal arts students, and you are forced to share resources with the other, more highly funded majors such as business and engineering.

The main reason I decided to come to Etown is their many options for study abroad, which they claimed would be included in tuition. Little did I know, this does not include the price of airfare, meal plans, and homestay while abroad, which you have to pay in addition to the cost of tuition, which has in recent years increased to over $50,000, despite the fact that most students do not graduate and those that do do not find jobs.

The worst thing about Etown is the incompetence of many of the staff working in offices such as residence life, campus security, career services, and the financial aid office. I have no idea how any of these people managed to find a job at this college, but they are the laziest, most unhelpful people I have ever come in contact with. Especially campus security, who is not there to help students, but rather spend all of their time checking to see whether or not you have alcohol. Most recently they have devoted their time to installing cameras in all residence halls to "Keep students safe" even though we have had little to no safety threats in the past four years. I believe they are doing this to further their agenda to prevent alcohol consumption amongst the students...I could keep going but I'll leave you with this: come to Elizabethtown for the scholarships. Just remember they don't increase along with tuition.

4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A+, University Resource Use: F
This school will screw over any student.BrightEducation
This school will screw over any student. Unless you plan on spending every waking second on investing your time into school work and having no friends or any fun at all, do NOT attend. Everything is taken way too seriously and "campus security" acts like they are the navy seals and any student who even thinks of having fun will be THROWN OUT.
Innovation: A+, Surrounding City: D