StudentsReview :: The Edinboro University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

The Edinboro University of Pennsylvania

I left a comment last year after myBrightEnglish
I left a comment last year after my first year experience at Edinboro University and because of many changes I feel the need to update my opinions. If I have learned anything my second year at Edinboro it has been that college is only what you make of it. I hated it my first year but I wasn't getting involved or making the best of what the University had to offer. This year I made friends and really became involved in my major. Yes, Edinboro is not the most exciting place but Erie is only 20 minutes away and once you find your group of friends and have a positive attitude your experience will be well worth it. It is also an extremely safe place to be and it's good for students who do not like the big college feel. I do not regret my decision going to Edinboro University and am going to miss it much more than I anticipated.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2014
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Useful Schoolwork: C-
Came to this university for their innovative nursingBrightNursing
Came to this university for their innovative nursing program (second-degree BSN). If you're considering this program at this school, keep looking. They've already kicked two people out for frivolous, inappropriate reasons, and will personally insult you if given the chance. Most of the department will act nice to your face, but they'll turn on you quickly if they don't like you for whatever reason. They will claim that it's a learning environment, but make one small mistake once and you're done. Professors will often say incorrect things during lecture, so you have to read everything just to make sure that you get accurate information. Or, they'll completely leave something out in lecture and expect you to know it in detail for exams. It is not, by any means, a pro-learning environment.

That was just the nursing department. The school as a whole is a mess. Communication and organization is the poorest that I've ever encountered (and I've studied at multiple PA universities). Nobody ever knows what anyone else is doing, and instead of talking to each other, they instruct non-innovative students to pass important information onto the innovative students. When registering for classes, dates / times are incorrect and getting accurate information is nearly impossible (we registered for classes weeks ago - we STILL don't know the correct dates / times for most of the courses).

They'll try to make you think the program is SOOO competitive, but it's not. They accepted at least 5 (that's 25% of the whole class) of the innovates into the program within 1 month of the start of classes, 2 of which weren't accepted until 2 days before the start of class. Why? Because a lot of the original accepted students opted to come here (and they're wiser because of it). I could write a book about this school in general, and the nursing department specifically. I'm not a disgruntled student. I just know poor quality when I see it, and I'm seeing a lot of it here. Do yourself a favor and look at other nursing programs.

1st Year Female -- Class 2012
Surrounding City: A-, Individual Value: D
I live in state, and Edinboro is theQuite BrightEducation
I live in state, and Edinboro is the cheapest school to attended, even though they have raised their tution prices in the past year.

Dorm Life
I will admit that I am very happy with the roommates I got, but as for the dorm, not at all. The Highlands are nice (sometimes) but extremely expensive and poorly built. I live in the newest dorm, Highlands 8, which they "finished" building not even a week before we moved in. My room is always filled with gnatts and we have asked for attention to the problem twice with no answer. The other students are noisy and rude during all hours of the night. Screaming, stomping, running up and down the halls. Unless you have a car to drive to Erie, then you really will have no fun on campus or around Edinboro cause there is nothing here.

Financial
Edinboro is cheap compared to others, but they do not help at all when it comes to financial aid or any other office assitence. The workers in the office are rude the majority of the time, and could care less about your problems to help you. Also the information they provide about mostly anything on there website is so confusing that if you do not understand it is your fault.The only reason I am staying at this school is because it supposivly has a good education program. But I'm not too sure of that yet cause I am taking classes here that I have already taken in high school. Wasting my time with these credits? I think so.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015