StudentsReview :: The Edinboro University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

The Edinboro University of Pennsylvania

Before I start, I want to say thatQuite BrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Before I start, I want to say that no matter where you go, a good chunk of your college experience (maybe 70% or so, it can vary more or less) is what you make of it.

I'm currently a Junior here at EUP, transferred a year ago here due to how much I loathed my previous school. As of now, I can say that I'm very happy that I transferred here and that my experience has helped me grow into a better person. I'm mostly writing this to anyone thinking the grass is greener elsewhere, because it could be, but it might not be either.

It's a good school, and I recommend it to anyone majoring in anything from the arts, education, social work, nursing, or anyone planning on going into graduate, law, or medical school (seeing that it is pretty damn cheap compared to other schools so you can spend all of your precious money on post-graduate education). However, it's not for everyone. I wouldn't recommend going here if you're going to get a generic degree like psychology or english if you don't plan on going further with your education, you'll probably never find a job, or it will just be a lot harder for you.

The professors I found can be very helpful, I've been lucky enough to only run into a few that I'd never like to see in my life again, and a number of them want to know about you, what you want, what you're looking for, what they can do to help you achieve that. They have plenty of office hours and other ways to contact them. For the most part, they are concerned that you learn and succeed.

I found that there's a lot to get involved in on campus, you just have to exit your dorm room and look. There's posters and things everywhere with things to do and things to get involved in. Maybe with jobs, not so much, but there are several clubs and other organizations that appeal to at least someone. If not, make one. It looks good on a resume later on, and even though it's a small-ish campus, there will probably be people who share a similar interest.

People are generally nice, but there are a lot of students who are very ignorant and are probably the rudest people I've ever met in my short life. Take it as a life lesson, as you will probably run into rude people no matter what field you go in...at least you'll learn how to deal with them in college rather than later when it matters more.

If you don't like the cold...more specifically, if you hate snow with a burning passion, don't go here. Just don't. The college is in a snow belt, which means for about 4-5 months out of the year, you're basically buried under snow, and whoever is in charge of clearing roads and sidewalks usually doesn't give two craps. Buy boots. Go on a winter shopping spree, you'll need it if you're not from around here. It's not a joke.

But, on the bright side, there is a (very) small (and very affordable) ski resort about a ten minute drive away from the college, which I highly recommend. There might be a bus service for it, but don't take my word for it.

The last thing I wanted to mention was the coursework. It's...in a word, adequate. Personally, I don't find it challenging other than how to learn time-management skills, although a lot of the stuff learned in class usually has a practical use...they just keep it very basic in class for everyone to get a general understanding of it. If you go into science programs or 4-credit labs and such, it's much more challenging, but doable, and you'll get a lot out of it, academically. It prepares you enough for the MCATs, I hear from others.

Campus living is expensive, the food is mediocre like it is at any other campus. Dorm living can suck anywhere you go. Generic things that suck about college life in general, but it gets better as the years go by.

No matter where you go, make the best of what you can, don't wait until you get your degree to start making a difference. Learning in college isn't just done in the classroom. Learning how to deal with people is a very important skill that many people surprisingly don't know how to do. Last thing I want to say is know what's best for you. Look at your goals, your financial situation, your wants and needs, and decide on where you want to go with that, and not just at a college's pedigree. I wish anyone the best of luck with finding a college, or transferring, or what have you.

1st Year Female -- Class 2014
Faculty Accessibility: A, Surrounding City: D
I love Edinboro, it's a great school toSuper BrilliantBiology
I love Edinboro, it's a great school to attend.
SCHOOL:
- Decent sized town
- Good education
- Greek Life is awesome
- Highlands (dorms) are really sweet...and so as the traditional dorms too.
The cops are rough though, since the only thing that goes on in this city is the college, cops always bust college students.

There are many job opportunities on campus, people say there is nothing because they don't look hard enough.

The school is undergoing renovations...It's gonna look sweet when they are done. Edinboro is a school for the future. Give it 5 years and it will be one of the top schools in PA easily.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2013
Useful Schoolwork: A+, Campus Aesthetics: C+
Okay so I have mixed feelings about myNot so brightEnglish
Okay so I have mixed feelings about my first year at Edinboro University. And I am still deciding if I want to stay there for the full four years. I hate to say that I probably chose Edinboro for social reasons instead of thinking about the campus and my education. In my high school my grades were just above average. However when I came to Edinboro I found myself to be way above average. I got a 4.0 both semesters and even though I studied alot, it was not that hard. I also hate the snow and it snows alot here. I was not prepared to be as bored as I was. I went out on the weekends and I often worried about getting caught by cops. If you like to party, dont come here. Cops are everywhere. Okay now im going to talk about the positives. I have met some good friends here that I think are the only reason I am still sane. Without them I dont know what I would have done. I also like being so close to home and Erie. The Erie mall was something to do when i was bored out of my mind.Finally if you get involved with Greek life or sports you will probably like it here.
1st Year Female -- Class 2014