StudentsReview :: Franklin and Marshall College - Comments and Student Experiences

Dickinson School of Law of Penn State -- Carlisle, PA
Indiana Business College (Lafayette) -- Lafayette, IN

Franklin and Marshall College

Sep 21 2014Undecided
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am so happy I was able to transfer. The work load is manageable. The housing system is odd. The students are stuck up. Go greek or go home. And the food is inedible. Transferred to a better school and am so much happier.
1st Year Male -- Class 2017
Useful Schoolwork: A-, Social Life: D
Jul 22 2014Economics
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
F&M is an atrocity to higher education. For four years my parents' spent over a third of their yearly income paying my tuition at F&M. I worked my butt off as an Econ major and earned a 2.8 GPA because the professors hold students to an extremely high standard and expect them to conform to their opinions. Several papers I wrote I received bad marks on because I did not agree with my professor's personal views on highly debatable topics. I was extremely unhappy socially, as I had no interest in greek life, which apparently made me a loser by default even though I was a varsity athlete. When I walked across the podium to receive my degree I received an embarrassingly underwhelming applause, while the rich underachieving frat bros had all the girls hooting at them. I never had a girlfriend at F&M, which I know wasn't my fault because I do well with women in any other social environment. After graduation I was unable to find employment for over a year. I had about five interviews during which I was asked about my "low" GPA from a college they had never heard of. I live in New Jersey, so I'm not even far from campus. After working as a table busser at a restaurant for 6 months to fund my expenses, I finally found employment as an accountant for a low-tier used car dealership crunching numbers in a poorly air-conditioned cube of an office. I hate my job and I still live with my parents. When I was at F&M campus housing was atrocious, and when I moved to off-campus housing (College Hill Apartments) they charged my family an unbelievable amount of money for damages caused by other students (ex. $60 to clean a "sticky substance from the mailroom floor" and $100 for "light post pulled out of the ground by sidewalk") because somewhere in the 300 page lease I signed they were allowed to do that. Now my parents can't afford to send my younger siblings to other expensive schools because of the unanticipated dent F&M put in their bank account. I'm ashamed of my experience at this school, and if you read more reviews about this school you'll find I am by no means alone. The new president Dan Porterfield is the best BS-er I've ever been forced to listen to. He is a pro at convincing prospective students that the F&M experience or "mission" is the complete opposite of the reality, making him no better than a lying corrupt politician. Franklin & Marshall College is a despicable place, I have friends who went to Rutgers and Penn State satellite campuses for a tenth of the price and had a highly better and more rewarding experience. I can't even think about grad school right now given the personal debt I still have from unsubsidized government loans I took out to help with tuition. If something in my life doesn't change dramatically then I blame Franklin & Marshall College for my unhappiness and unpromising future. Please, please, do not go here, you will regret it.
Starting Job: Accountant - Used Car Dealership Preparedness: D+ Reputation: F
Feb 04 2014Political Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Franklin and Marshall makes it as painful as possible to go to college.
I was a member of a Fraternity, and I return regularly as a part of alumni events. What I have heard from the undergraduates echos my experience.

Greek life is the only social life on campus. So if you don't plan on pledging don't go. The school also has made it their absolute mission (intensified in the last year) to make sure no parties happen on their campus.

You will have a happier, more productive, and cheaper college experience going anywhere else. The school is so bad that I am taking the time to write about it 9 years after I graduated.

You will have no fun, get laid less than you should, and will be overseen by people who enjoy fucking with your life.

Don't go.