StudentsReview :: Grove City College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College -- Wheaton, IL
Wheaton College -- Norton, MA
Messiah College -- Grantham, PA

Grove City College

This is a fantastic school.AverageComputer Science
This is a fantastic school.
However, the work load is excessive.
Also, the course selection is slightly limited. But also seeing continuous growth.
Please also keep in mind that this is an extremely religious school. Attending chapel is required. And God is likely to come up in just about every conversation you have in campus. Being a Christian myself, I find this to be a great benefit of attending this college. But I do find it to be excessive at times.

Please also know that it is commonly believed that grove city has little to no racial diversity. This has not been the case in my time at the school. It is majority white. But there is a strong minority presence on campus as well.

The students here also, in general, have politically conservative views. But are accepting of those who have more liberal views. Politics rarely cone up in conversation at grove. So this should not be a major concern .But is still worth mentioning.

The campus is beautiful in every possible way. The architecture is impressive. The trees are nice. The flowers are gorgeous when in bloom. The grass is very well kept. The river through campus and bridges across it are are very cool. As well as many other features that make this campus one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. And definitely the most attractive college campus I can think of.

The weather is, for the most part, great. Though it does rain a tad bit more than I'd like.
The food is not great, but is acceptable.
The dorms in every building are in nice shape, and have adequate space. The dorm furniture is far better than I had expected. The desks are super nice. The chairs are odd at first, but functional. The beds are reasonably confortable.

The health services office is easily accessible and incredibly helpful.
The counceling center is phenomenal.
The professors are great. They are knowledgeable, caring, flexible, helpful, encouraging, and approachable.

The vast majority of the students are incredibly friendly.
Campus safety officers are rarely needed, but are always fast and easily reachable in the rare occasion that there is an incident. And they are calm, kind and helpful. And are very well prepared.

The town around the college is very minimal. So most of your time will likely be spent on campus. But there are a few nice shops and restaurants around. And there is plenty to do on campus, so time spent off campus is largely unnecessary.My only major complaint is the strict policy regarding visitation hours in opposite sex dormitories. But the policy does make sense. And is not unreasonable or unnecessarily restrictive. So I see no reason not to stand by it.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
This college is a very beautiful campus inSuper BrilliantHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
This college is a very beautiful campus in a small town in a lovely part of Pennsylvania. The professors are really wonderful; my experience with the faculty members on average has been that they are excellent. They're very passionate about their fields of expertise and are very eager to help students understand the lessons. The student body is pretty unpleasant in as a whole, but I've met several friendly people, and, after all, meeting other students was not a main reason I came here. The Greek types are terrible. In early February, all the Greek groups have their pledge weeks and that makes the campus miserable for everybody. Otherwise you can mostly be left alone. RAs in male dorms are very hands-off and we can do about anything we want. I know some female RAs are more anal retentive and difficult to live with.
2nd Year Male -- Class 1921
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Social Life: C-
Life at Grove City College is in seriousSuper BrilliantHistory/Histories (art history/etc.)
Life at Grove City College is in serious need of reform. I regard myself as a very adaptable person, having traveled overseas multiple times and lived in a foreign country for more than six months. However, despite this, I have never been able to adapt to life at Grove City. The college looks attractive on the outside, but is miserable within. This has nothing to do with the faculty and staff; many of my professors have been extremely helpful and all-around excellent people. The students, on an individual basis, can't be blamed either. Whenever they are away from the college, they are among the friendliest and kindest people on the planet. It's only whenever you throw everyone together that things start to go wrong. If I could use two images to describe life on campus, one would be John Calvin's Geneva and the other would be Great Britain's penal settlement in Van Diemen's Land (now Tasmania). In regards to the first image, Grove City prides itself on its puritanical moral system. I actually have no problem with the rules in and of themselves (as those are the standards I try to live by), but I do have a problem with the rule's enforcement. There is no room for love or mercy, only harsh punishment. In the eyes of the administration, students are totally depraved sinners, whose natural tendencies need to be beaten out of them using whatever means necessary. The result is a seriously repressed student body which does not know how to enjoy life. Grove City is also like Calvin's Geneva in its narrowness of outlook. There is only one correct way of looking at the world, and that is the Biblical Worldview. Anything else is either ignored or, worse, considered heresy. The second image of Grove City College is that of Van Diemen's Land. After the American Revolution, Great Britain was forced to look for a new place to transport their unwanted prisoners. They decided eventually on the newly discovered continent of Australia, setting up the first penal colony at Sydney. South of the mainland is the island of Tasmania, once known as Van Diemen's Land after a Dutch explorer. The island was an inhospitable wilderness where the worst of the convicts were sent to abide in utter desolation and despair. (Read the book The Fatal Shore by Robert Hughes for more information). Although students are not forced to attend Grove City, once there it can be difficult for them to escape. There is a daily regimen of mind numbing study to do, with little, if anything, to look forward to in the future. The exclusivity of the student culture, and the general frostiness of the people feeds emotions of isolation and loneliness. I remember several times sitting by the window, trapped in my little room while the wind would howl outside and the rain would lash against the windowpane. There were times also when I would cry myself silently to sleep. I wouldn't be able to count the number of phone calls I made to my mom trying to find some way that I could get adjusted. But there was never any answer except to keep on bearing it. I've seen the life of one of my closest friends fall apart before my very eyes because of this school. My own life nearly fell apart, but I was strong enough to be able to pull through. Of course, when I say all these things, I don't mean that every student will have the same experience. Some may have the time of their life at Grove City and perhaps even meet their future husband or wife. However, for me, whenever I'm at Grove City it will always feel like I am stranded on the far off shores of Van Diemen's Land.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2017