StudentsReview :: Grove City College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College -- Norton, MA
Messiah College -- Grantham, PA

Grove City College

I grew to enjoy my time at Grove City.Quite BrightAccounting
I grew to enjoy my time at Grove City. So Grove City is a Christian school so you will definitely have a strong Christian element. However, as a Christian school, there are still a wide variety of views on many things.

I became a Christian as a teenager and was heavily influenced by Washer, Piper, Ravenhill, etc. and I still love those guys more than ever. However, here is what I learned at Grove City. There are a lot of people that may disagree with you on many things. Some may find sexual humor to be appropriate, others might not mind bad lyrics in a song, etc. What you have to understand, and what I grew to understand, is that sure some of these people may not be Christian or born again, but some of them might be Christian and are ignorant to the truth of the Scriptures. Remember the Apostle Paul had to instruct the early Christians to abstain from fornication (something that would be a no-brainer in our culture). So from my experience, I would say I got exposed to the American Church at large, but had to humbly learn what to accept and what to reject.

So I grew a lot in my time there. But I think honestly for a devoted Christian who likes to have innocent fun this school is ideal. I am in graduate school now and I do not think there is a better school out there for undergrad.

Faculty is top notch. Studying and work is hard. Huge pick-up sports scene. Town is pretty boring. Cafeteria food is good. In conclusion, I loved my time at Grove City College and I think it is very ideal for the devoted Christian who wants to grow in his/her faith, study, and have innocent fun. Good luck :)!

5th Year Male -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Surrounding City: C
I went to GCC for my freshman year.AveragePsychology
I went to GCC for my freshman year. I stayed one semester. The faculty were extremely unhelpful. Especially in my department. I know other departments are run differently, so don't take that to mean all of them are bad. I cannot stress enough about how hard this school is. I have known people that went here and they tried to prepare me for it, but nothing I did prepared me for GCC. There is a lot of busy work and a lot of tests and quizzes that make up most of your grades. There is no one at this school that acts as a guidance counselor, so if you are at all unsure about what you want to do, good luck finding someone to help you. My first day on campus I tried to get my schedule changed (they make your freshman schedule for you and trust me, half of the classes are incorrect) and there was no one to help me figure out what classes I could be taking instead so I ended up in more than one class that I either did not have to take at all, or should not have been taking as a freshman. Everyone is required to take humanities classes which on the outside do not sound bad. Depending on the professor you are stuck with, maybe they aren't, but my professor was a joke. You are also required to take what is basically a gym class. I cannot really say that I enjoyed any of my classes, even the ones I was supposed to be in, because of my professors. Completely unhelpful, the only advice I got was to study more. On that note, you will be studying all day, every day. Weekends are welcomed with open arms because there is more time to study without classes in the way. Even if you aren't studying there is NOTHING to do. Nothing. The town is completely dead and everything closes around 5pm. And did I mention that freshmen can't have cars? Completely absurd considering there is plenty of room for them to park in the lots. The dining hours are ridiculous and you can only swipe in 3 times a day in the designated times. If you want food between or after 7pm you have to walk all the way across campus to the SAC (student union) and buy it. The gym is almost never open, but when it is it's packed to the brim. My dorm had no real windows and was completely separate from the other freshman. Don't even get me started on inter-visitation. I felt like I went to an all girls school with the way that people act and all the rules set in place to keep the girls and the boys apart. There is no social aspect whatsoever apart from seeing everyone you know in the dining halls. I participated in rushing for a sorority and enjoyed it, mainly because it was something social to do and one of the only opportunities to meet new people. But one of the positive thing about this school is that it is very safe. People literally leave their computers on tables in the SAC and the library for hours and they're perfectly safe. You can also walk around at night and you'll be completely fine. Most people are very judgey but I know I have met a few friends for life.
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Education Quality: F
One of the best aspects of the collegeBrightBiology
One of the best aspects of the college is the faculty. Faculty are excellent and are accessible and approachable. Even years after graduating, faculty remember you and are willing to lend a hand or celebrate your accomplishments.

Being a small school tends to limit diversity in the student body, but students are friendly and approachable.The school offers rigorous and competitive academics. The school is a Christian-based, private institution. Your openness to this should be considered when deciding whether or not to attend the school.

4th Year Male -- Class 2001