StudentsReview :: Grove City College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College -- Wheaton, IL
Wheaton College -- Norton, MA
Messiah College -- Grantham, PA

Grove City College

This is a fantastic school.AverageComputer Science
This is a fantastic school.
However, the work load is excessive.
Also, the course selection is slightly limited. But also seeing continuous growth.
Please also keep in mind that this is an extremely religious school. Attending chapel is required. And God is likely to come up in just about every conversation you have in campus. Being a Christian myself, I find this to be a great benefit of attending this college. But I do find it to be excessive at times.

Please also know that it is commonly believed that grove city has little to no racial diversity. This has not been the case in my time at the school. It is majority white. But there is a strong minority presence on campus as well.

The students here also, in general, have politically conservative views. But are accepting of those who have more liberal views. Politics rarely cone up in conversation at grove. So this should not be a major concern .But is still worth mentioning.

The campus is beautiful in every possible way. The architecture is impressive. The trees are nice. The flowers are gorgeous when in bloom. The grass is very well kept. The river through campus and bridges across it are are very cool. As well as many other features that make this campus one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. And definitely the most attractive college campus I can think of.

The weather is, for the most part, great. Though it does rain a tad bit more than I'd like.
The food is not great, but is acceptable.
The dorms in every building are in nice shape, and have adequate space. The dorm furniture is far better than I had expected. The desks are super nice. The chairs are odd at first, but functional. The beds are reasonably confortable.

The health services office is easily accessible and incredibly helpful.
The counceling center is phenomenal.
The professors are great. They are knowledgeable, caring, flexible, helpful, encouraging, and approachable.

The vast majority of the students are incredibly friendly.
Campus safety officers are rarely needed, but are always fast and easily reachable in the rare occasion that there is an incident. And they are calm, kind and helpful. And are very well prepared.

The town around the college is very minimal. So most of your time will likely be spent on campus. But there are a few nice shops and restaurants around. And there is plenty to do on campus, so time spent off campus is largely unnecessary.My only major complaint is the strict policy regarding visitation hours in opposite sex dormitories. But the policy does make sense. And is not unreasonable or unnecessarily restrictive. So I see no reason not to stand by it.

1st Year Male -- Class 1920
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F
There are good things and bad things aboutQuite BrightPolitical Science
There are good things and bad things about the Grove. The best features of the school are the academics/faculty and the low tuition price. I have learned so much from my time here at Grove City and I feel well prepared for graduating from the bubble. Thankfully, they keep their costs low enough that I won't be in debt for the rest of my life from attending GCC. Also, you never feel unsafe at the school, but that is a testament to the town and to the integrity of the students, NOT to the skill of Campus Safety.

There are some drawbacks to GCC. First, Student Life and Learning has far too much power and too many ambiguous rules (there is even a clause in the Crimson granting the SLL Director the power to cast aside rules that would theoretically restrain his power). Second, Campus Safety really only functions as the enforcers of Student Life and Learning's Orwellian policies. They do nothing to make the campus "safer," absolutely nothing. Third, a good portion of the student body comes into the college with little-to-no interaction with people who are not as fundamentalist as they are. This results in them either being extremely awkward or hostile to others who are not like them. Fourth, the weather is terrible. If you don't like rain, clouds, and cold, consider attending somewhere else. Fifth, the economics department is rather useless unless you want to work at Cato or FreedomWorks after school. Seriously, few academics and mainstream economists take the Austrian School seriously, meaning that Econ credits from GCC are useless in most grad schools and on many job applications. Also, the Austrian professors tend to dismiss any intellectual challenges to their ideology. Finally, there really is nothing to do in Grove City over the weekends. Not only does the weather limit activities, but the "city" of Grove City offers little for college students to do, other than see one of the two movies showing at the Guthrie. Even on campus, there is not a whole lot to do, especially if you're not in a Greek organization. Instead, most people voluntarily imprison themselves in the library over weekends. It gets old after a while.This overall review may have sounded bleak, but GCC has been a decent experience for me. The academics have prepared me for life after the Grove and I have made some incredible friendships here. I have just grown to dislike some of the characteristics of this school that make me (a solid political and theological conservative by most standards) look like a social and fiscal moderate (since I don't want to burn homosexuals at the stake, enjoy alcohol and think Milton Friedman was a better economist than Ludwig Van Mises). Grove City is a great school, just know what you are getting yourself into when applying. One final note, the Poli Sci Dept. has four of the greatest professors you could ever hope to take.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A, Social Life: D
I loved this school!Super BrilliantMath
I loved this school! I was in the class of 2009, and I loved so much about GCC. The campus was beautiful, I loved the difficulty of ALL the courses, not just my major (math). The required humanities courses exposed me to a lot of philosophies and viewpoints I didn't already know. In particular, the art and music history professors at Grove City are exceptional, and their classes were some of my favorites! The main downside about the school is that outside of Pennsylvania, no one has heard of it. I was a National Merit Finalist, but if I had gone to an easier college, I would likely be getting more attention from employers--choosing to challenge yourself at a school like Grove City is not always rewarded by a society that sees athletics and Ivy Leagues as the only place for intelligent people. However, if you want to be challenged, make good friends, and learn from professors who actually care about you, then Grove City is an awesome school.
4th Year Female -- Class 2009