StudentsReview ™ :: Holy Family University - Comments and Student Experiences

What prospective students should know:

Jan 29 2014Unknown
What prospective students should know:

Parking is terrible.
If you don't have an 8AM, you might as well not waste your time looking for parking and just find a spot on the side streets and walk. I will say it's a safe area so your car is good on the side streets, nothing to worry about in the way of danger.

Advisors are useless.
All advisors are required to be full time professors, but you wouldn't know it. I've had 3 different advisors, all equally clueless. They advise you to take courses you don't need or have already taken because the system is so convoluted. It's up to you to figure it out. They also aren't very understanding. More on that to follow.

Course selection is a joke.
I say that because of the lack of staff at HFU. I had an economics class with an Asian teacher. I earned a C in that class. I had difficulty understanding the professor, so for the second economics course I wanted to take a different professor. Unfortunately, the course is only taught by their one economics professor. They have such a small staff that your schedule flexibility is severely limited. Advisors make sure you take their courses so that they have enough students so their class is full. If you want to take a core course at a community college because HFU. Isn't offering it that semester, you're outta luck. Core courses must be taken at HFU or a different diet year college that is approved by HFU.

Transferring is impossible unless you want to add years to finally get your degree.
HFU requires 2 religion courses. Some are transferable, many aren't. For my program I had to take BUSA-101 and 102,, business math courses. Well, they don't transfer either. Most colleges require calculus for business majors which you do not take as a business major at HFU.

I've had more canceled classes then I can count.
Now you might be thinking this is cool. It's not. They cancel class without warning, and you show up to class with a note on the door. What a waste of time. I have tried countless times to get this policy into the 21st century by suggesting emails or texts for canceled classes. They say they do send emails but that's just not true. I rarely recieve an email for canceled classes. This also touches on the faculty issue. Most of my professors are adjunct and just don't put in the time to inform the students. And why should they? Their pay is despicable.

The administration is out of touch.
There are so many problems at this university it is hard to touch on them all. I truly wished I went to a different school and did moreresearch before selecting holy family. Now I feel trapped here and cannot wait to get out with my overpriced degree. Please don't be lured in by scholarship money. As others have said the grading system is tougher than most other colleges, which is not to say you get a better education. Feel free to contact me about holy family and I can share my experiences with you and suggest a better school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Perceived Campus Safety: B, Education Quality: F
Oct 18 2013Unknown

Went there 4 years and I wish I never went

4th Year Male -- Class 2012
Campus Maintenance: B, Faculty Accessibility: F

I am so over this school

Oct 08 2013Nursing
I am so over this school. I have never been to a school with such a ridiculous grading school. It isnt impossible to get a B but when you need an 86 to get a B, its just ridiculous. When students go to the dead about specific teachers, they back the teachers up instead of listening to us. I had a 3.4 gpa before coming to this school and now I have a 2.8. I got a final grad of 82 in my fundamentals class, any where else that would be a B but no at holy family it is a C and it was a 5 credit course. I have decided to transfer to another school. Financial aid isnt even as helpful. This school is just awful and it sucks because there are teachers that are helpful and students are helpful but i would not come to holy family for nursing unless you want your gpa to be lowered. They bombard you with classes and you have tests for pharm or med surg in the same week or day.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015