StudentsReview :: Holy Family University - Comments and Student Experiences

Providence College -- Providence, RI

Holy Family University

The NURSING SCHOOL is a fraud

May 19 2014Nursing
The NURSING SCHOOL is a fraud. The teachers and administration are horrible. In a class with only alittle over 60 students left in the senior class in the final semester OVER 20 students did not graduate because of policies that where changed on/off throughout the semester. The administration and president of the university do nothing to look into the matters that are letting their students down .SO MUCH FOR FAMILY VALUES AND TREATING THE STUDENT AS AN INDIVIDUAL. unethical for a catholic university. DO NOT CHOOSE THIS SCHOOL, THEY WILL LET YOU DOWN IN THE END!
4th Year Female -- Class 2014
Campus Aesthetics: B+, Education Quality: F

I love this school so far! I've only

Sep 03 2014Nursing
I love this school so far! I've only been here for a few weeks and I already love it. The academics are great! Although there is not much to do around campus, it is what you make of it. You can make your own club and if you are truly searching there is something. The grading system is tough but, if you work hard enough you will get it. The teachers are very helpful, they are always there when you need them. I am a nursing major and everyone I have talked to here has said that they love it with a few exceptions (very little computer space in the library, grading system). Everyone here expects the average college experience. This is not a party school. Great academics, great teachers, great friends.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Innovation: A+, Social Life: C

What prospective students should know:

Jan 29 2014Unknown
What prospective students should know:

Parking is terrible.
If you don't have an 8AM, you might as well not waste your time looking for parking and just find a spot on the side streets and walk. I will say it's a safe area so your car is good on the side streets, nothing to worry about in the way of danger.

Advisors are useless.
All advisors are required to be full time professors, but you wouldn't know it. I've had 3 different advisors, all equally clueless. They advise you to take courses you don't need or have already taken because the system is so convoluted. It's up to you to figure it out. They also aren't very understanding. More on that to follow.

Course selection is a joke.
I say that because of the lack of staff at HFU. I had an economics class with an Asian teacher. I earned a C in that class. I had difficulty understanding the professor, so for the second economics course I wanted to take a different professor. Unfortunately, the course is only taught by their one economics professor. They have such a small staff that your schedule flexibility is severely limited. Advisors make sure you take their courses so that they have enough students so their class is full. If you want to take a core course at a community college because HFU. Isn't offering it that semester, you're outta luck. Core courses must be taken at HFU or a different diet year college that is approved by HFU.

Transferring is impossible unless you want to add years to finally get your degree.
HFU requires 2 religion courses. Some are transferable, many aren't. For my program I had to take BUSA-101 and 102,, business math courses. Well, they don't transfer either. Most colleges require calculus for business majors which you do not take as a business major at HFU.

I've had more canceled classes then I can count.
Now you might be thinking this is cool. It's not. They cancel class without warning, and you show up to class with a note on the door. What a waste of time. I have tried countless times to get this policy into the 21st century by suggesting emails or texts for canceled classes. They say they do send emails but that's just not true. I rarely recieve an email for canceled classes. This also touches on the faculty issue. Most of my professors are adjunct and just don't put in the time to inform the students. And why should they? Their pay is despicable.

The administration is out of touch.
There are so many problems at this university it is hard to touch on them all. I truly wished I went to a different school and did moreresearch before selecting holy family. Now I feel trapped here and cannot wait to get out with my overpriced degree. Please don't be lured in by scholarship money. As others have said the grading system is tougher than most other colleges, which is not to say you get a better education. Feel free to contact me about holy family and I can share my experiences with you and suggest a better school.

1st Year Female -- Class 2018