StudentsReview :: The Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The Indiana University of Pennsylvania

I'm a junior music education major at IUP

Dec 27 2013Music Education
I'm a junior music education major at IUP. They have a very excellent music department and I recommend anybody that is interested in music education to look into IUP. There has to be at least 30 practice rooms, each with a piano. A lot of people don't consider IUP because it's in a small town, but it's much more affordable than all of the schools in Pittsburgh. The classes are small and the majority of the faculty is very helpful. I'm having a great experience here, and I love it!
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: B-

Warning do not listen to the bullshit they

Jan 04 2014Education
Warning do not listen to the bullshit they will hand feed you during visit and orientation. They come off and brainwash as IUP is completely perfect and the world is just beautiful. Its not. First I'll strait with the student body.The people here are rude, selfish, and very judgmental. Considering that this school virtually accepts anyone with a plus, the student here care about getting wasted, puking in bushes, and getting on the TV Show Campus PD. In fact if you are not into the drug or drinking scene people WILL Treat you different. Most students skip class Thursday-Friday as they are pre gaming for their night out. And as for the parties, they suck. All the places to party at are in some creeps smelly basement in the bare ass of Indiana. For academics, the classes were unchallenging and simply a waste of time. To make deans list here you simply need a 3.25 which is very easy to obtain (Not for most people at this school though) the school forces you to take crap classes you don't need. For example as an education major I was forced to take a terrible music class, with over 200 students and a crazy professor who loved to force us to salsa dance. The food is shit nothing more to say. The administration DOES NOT CARE ABOUT YOU AT ALL. My advisor was some jerk young kid who bragged about how he flunked out of WVU once before graduating. He made fun of my goals and plans calling them "Stupid" When I decided to transfer, getting this school to do anything for you was like pulling teeth. I had to go to several offices numerous times to argue with people on why my transcripts where not sent out. Their answer was "We didn't feel like it" My personal favorite was when I had a harassing roommate. When I expressed my concerns, the housing office forced ME to move out and into some random other room. Hows that fair. Simply put: DO NOT GO TO THIS "SCHOOL" its basically an over priced playground. You will be miserable. In fact you will do the same as I did and transfer after 1 SEMESTER. Please save yourself years of hell and actually go to a real University
1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Campus Maintenance: A-, Scholastic Success: F

IUP could be the right school for you,

Dec 15 2013Business - Management and Administration
IUP could be the right school for you, but it wasn't for me. My advice is take your college research very seriously before you choose the university you will want to attend. Take into consideration every little thing: academic strength, tuition, weather, demographics of the place (coastal, inner-city, suburbs, small town), everything will matter and make your college experience, and in consequence, your grades and performance better.

Academically: You definitely have to work for your grades, professors are mostly very good, but if you want a good job in the future and want to stand out in the crowd and really network with your professors, you definitely have to put more effort as well. There are a lot of good services there to help you, you just have to go out and find them (it's not like they advertise them very well). The good is that they have so many good things available but the bad is that most of us, especially freshman coming straight out of high school don't know about these resources. If you like to work hard and go after all the good things it has to offer you can benefit positively from IUP.

Socially: I find that the people who do like IUP are the ones that like to party every other day of the week. If you're not one of those people, you'll have a hard time having a good social life here. Mainly because it's just what people do here and they don't understand if you say you don't want to party every weekend. It's weird to them? so, close-minded? yes, quite a bit. The university is located at a small college town, when the weather is nice and warm, it's not bad, but in the colder times it is miserable, extremely cold (especially if you are used to warmer weather).

The overall environment: I have my friends here and there, and because it is not an awfully large university you are able to make friends and know a lot of people if you put forth the effort into getting to know them (unless you party a lot). It is mostly a white university, people are mostly from pittsburgh and other parts of western PA, and a lot of people from Philly as well. The kids here aren't the friendliest and a lot of times seem judgmental and even racist. However, it is not to the point where you feel unsafe. IUP is very safe in my opinion. And like I said, there are plenty of resources on campus. Also, Pittsburgh is 1 hour and 30 minutes away, so all the fun stuff is 1.5 hours away from you, if you don't have a car it kinda sucks.Have been here for almost 2 years now, I participate in a lot of groups and clubs around campus and decided to give IUP a try after my first year, but still haven't found a group of people that I can relate to and be close friends with. I'm not going to try and tell you what college is about because its different for everyone, but you should like the school you go to, and even enjoy going to class since you're there to get your education and learn about what you're passionate, which is why I can't wait to transfer.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2016