StudentsReview ™ :: The Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The Indiana University of Pennsylvania

IUP provides a stong educational background that provides

May 03 2005Business - Management and Administration
IUP provides a stong educational background that provides the basic tools to be a productive member of today's business community. Much like any other college you will not have every skill necessary for your first job. That is not the purpose of undergrad. You recieve the information that allows a company to train you quickly to meet there specefic needs. As for the social scene it is truly amazing. I strongly recomend becoming a member of the Greek community, it provided me with the best memories of my life. Also it provided the social and networking skills that are proving very valuable. As for the level of instruction I found it to be excellent. I am currently a law student and my undergrad profs. were every bit as good as those I have in law school. If you choose IUP you will not regret it.
Starting Job: territory manager Preparedness: B+ Reputation: B

There are definitely a lot of educational opportunities

Apr 12 2005Music Education
There are definitely a lot of educational opportunities here, and it is a great school for that. Unfortunately, like many other campuses -- so there really is no way to avoid it -- there are a lot of people that make campus living a hassle. I didn't expect any problems coming here as a Filipino-American, but there are certainly a lot of racist people that I deal with in the dorms. I don't think there are that many of them, but when you deal with the situation enough, it becomes a hassle. There aren't any hate crimes, but people harass me with Chinese stereotypes (and I'm not Chinese.) This is nothing against the school, only certain people. I guess it's a problem everywhere, especially in a predominantly white school.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2006
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: D

This campus is very pretty-the Oak Grove is

Feb 21 2005Nursing
This campus is very pretty-the Oak Grove is really nice to walk through. As far as academics go...that's another story. My first semester, I was enrolled in a Anthropology class that I attended 4 times-the WHOLE semester and I still received a B. The Professors don't notice when you're not there-which can work to your advantage, or against it depending on what kind of student you are. As for the students, many are very very approachable and open minded. My first few weeks there, I had random people come up to me and start conversations-it was nice to know I could take a walk by myself and make new friends. I became very close with the people on my floor in my dorm. That's where the "picture perfect" story ends. Now in comes the harsh reality. IUP has definately earned it's reputation of a "Party School". It doesn't stand for I Usually Party for nothing. I'm going to be completely honest here...Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights 98% of the students are wasted. Me included. Our nights would start with a little pregaming in our dorm rooms...taking some shots, playing some drinking games, etc. Then we would head out to find some parties to go to-which was not hard at ALL. All of the frats had parties going on, where girls would get in instantly (guys wouldn't be allowed in unless they knew a member of the frat). It was the typical scene you would imagine...lots and lots of sweaty, drunk co-eds. Loud music and looooong lines to get beer. We would stay for a while and then head back to the dorm, where we would find everyone else wasted off their asses. People would throw up in the bathrooms, in the halls, and in the elevator. After a year of this continuous partying, it caught up to me. I realized I hadn't learned anything. I had made wonderful friends, who, to this day I love and am still close with. If I took one thing from IUP, it was just that, friendships. If you want an education, this is not the school for you.
1st Year Female -- Class 2008