StudentsReview :: The Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Sep 10 2004Criminal

A great experience.

4th Year Male -- Class 1991
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Faculty Accessibility: C+

This campus is very pretty-the Oak Grove is

Feb 21 2005Nursing
This campus is very pretty-the Oak Grove is really nice to walk through. As far as academics go...that's another story. My first semester, I was enrolled in a Anthropology class that I attended 4 times-the WHOLE semester and I still received a B. The Professors don't notice when you're not there-which can work to your advantage, or against it depending on what kind of student you are. As for the students, many are very very approachable and open minded. My first few weeks there, I had random people come up to me and start conversations-it was nice to know I could take a walk by myself and make new friends. I became very close with the people on my floor in my dorm. That's where the "picture perfect" story ends. Now in comes the harsh reality. IUP has definately earned it's reputation of a "Party School". It doesn't stand for I Usually Party for nothing. I'm going to be completely honest here...Thursday, Friday, and Saturday nights 98% of the students are wasted. Me included. Our nights would start with a little pregaming in our dorm rooms...taking some shots, playing some drinking games, etc. Then we would head out to find some parties to go to-which was not hard at ALL. All of the frats had parties going on, where girls would get in instantly (guys wouldn't be allowed in unless they knew a member of the frat). It was the typical scene you would imagine...lots and lots of sweaty, drunk co-eds. Loud music and looooong lines to get beer. We would stay for a while and then head back to the dorm, where we would find everyone else wasted off their asses. People would throw up in the bathrooms, in the halls, and in the elevator. After a year of this continuous partying, it caught up to me. I realized I hadn't learned anything. I had made wonderful friends, who, to this day I love and am still close with. If I took one thing from IUP, it was just that, friendships. If you want an education, this is not the school for you.
1st Year Female -- Class 2008
Social Life: A+, Surrounding City: D-

Don't get me wrong, I loved my four

Aug 20 2004Communications
Don't get me wrong, I loved my four years at IUP. It allowed me to participate on a D-II athletic team (although the university could have cared less about our program), meet wonderful and talented people, and provided a great college atmosphere. However, looking back and knowing what i know now, I would not have chosen IUP. I do not feel that I learned the important skills or training necessary to succeed in today's workforce. I can honestly say that I am not some slacker looking for the easy "A". I like a challenge and IUP did not provide that. My major was a joke. I was not challenged at all by any of the professors within my department. At the same time they did a lousy job of preparing me for the future. They talk a big talk but when it all comes down to it they need to re-evaluate why it is they became professors. They are supposed to be able to help you when infact all they want to do is help themselves. Two mandatory courses with two different professors giving you conflicting information regarding something that is vital towards job seeking/hiring...THE RESUME. The courses that are offered are being taught by people that haven't been in the actual field for 20 plus some years. You have to do one internship in order to graduate. That's great. But guess what, all the schools that really are competitive (not just saying that they are) require their students to do one ever year. Something you might want to think about. There are so many things that are wrong, academically, with IUP its pathetic. Don't even get me started on the sub-par library. You don't even want to go in there. If you want a great social college atmosphere this is where you want to go. There is always something to do. I have so many great memories of IUP. But if you are going for the academics aspect of it, I offer you this piece of advice. Take out a loan and go a better academic institution. Yes I know, no one wants to be in debt and it will initially cost you more but in the long run you'll be thankful that you did.
4th Year Female -- Class 2003