StudentsReview :: The Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Administration is absolute GARBAGE!

Oct 04 2013Chemistry
Administration is absolute GARBAGE! Faculty are self-absorbed and extremely unhelpful. Students are a bunch of partiers with no regard for Academia. The Robert E Cook Honors college would be worthwhile if it was surrounded by the rest of the university.

My fellow students seem to be absolutely absorbed

Nov 18 2013Criminal
My fellow students seem to be absolutely absorbed in the "party lifestyle". When they aren't vomiting on the sidewalks they are breaking things and stealing signs. Not a lot of emphasis is placed on studying or discussing things in class. This does not apply to each student as a small percentage is focused on their studies.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Extracurricular Activities: A-, Surrounding City: D-

I decided to attend IUP my junior year

Sep 30 2013Journalism
I decided to attend IUP my junior year of high school. When I came to the college for a visitation it seemed as though the school had everything I wanted: a beautiful campus, a large number of students, a small town setting, and a reputable journalism program. I was still in love with IUP at the time of my orientation, and looked forward to starting my freshman year for the months that followed. I had always heard IUP was a party school, but I had believed the statements of others to be exaggerated as not many young adults from my area attend this university.

I was wrong.
Once I got to IUP as an incoming student it did not take long for the facade to crumble. I did not make friends (and still have not over a month into the semester), and someone had the audacity to tell me I would not make friends because I don't go out to parties. Long story short, if you don't drink you'll have a hard time finding people who want to befriend you.

On another level, I've found the academics here to be lacking. I've yet to be intellectually stimulated or challenged by my coursework, even in my 200 level classes which require prerequisites. I plan to transfer as soon as this semester comes to a close. The advice I offer to anyone considering IUP is if you graduated in the top of your class, are seeking somewhat challenging academics and believe there is more to college life that partying every day of the week, IUP is not for you.

Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: F