StudentsReview :: The Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Dec 27 2012Nutrition

I wish I never came to this school. But I did meet a few good people.

1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Useful Schoolwork: F

You get what you pay for

Dec 01 2012Education
You get what you pay for. This is a cheap state school that accepts practically everybody that applies. The only good things I've noticed are that IUP is not a research college, so professors are actually focused on students. And the suites make living on campus bearable. However there is absolutely NOTHING to do here. I knew this coming in, but assumed i would find enough friends or party enough to ignore the blatant lack of things to do. Unfortunately the parties here got old fast, and it's the same thing every night. As for friends, i have hardly made any since being here. Students are friendly, but do not socialize at all outside of parties or class. Don't even bother going to class. Unless attendance counts as part of your grade, you're just wasting your time staring at the clock. I am transferring after only one semester of being here. IUP is horrible and depressing.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Surrounding City: D-

You know, when it was orientation time I

Dec 27 2012Nutrition
You know, when it was orientation time I loved it at IUP. The campus, the dorms were killer, and I thought the food was delicious. And not that I am half way through my sophomore year I realized everything I thought IUP was, wasn't.

A) The people here are rude, selfish, and very judgemental. I do party but mostly on the weekends. If you say you aren't going out on a weekday people will give you looks. If you wear something that isn't normal to the people of PA forget it. I am from out of state and I have not really meet people that aren't from the Burgh, Philly, or some hick town. I'd go somewhere else if you want good parties because they are shit, diverse accepting people because you won't get it here. The only way you will really meet people is if you join a sorority or fraternity. Guys are disrespectful and girls are complete bitches. If you meet a guy who seems friendly and sweet and you tell him you won't sleep with him he probably won't talk to you anymore. About 1/4 people at IUP have an STD of somesort.

B)This school is only based on partying. I like to party but honestly it is nice to do something different for a change. If you don't party, there isn't really anything to do. Everything in this town goes out of business because it is the poorest/ rainiest town in Pennsylvania. Not to mention the parties here are shit and if you aren't dressed like a slut people won't talk to you. If you are looking for amazing parties go to Penn State.

C) My department is horrible. I have learned nothing in my major. It is pointless and I have heard that from most people in it. The head of my department is rude and very unhelpful, just like most of the teachers here. Most of the classes brought down my GPA because they were ridiculously hard and had nothing to do with my major. The head of my department basically stated that if you aren't a "perfect student" you can forget about an internship because only half of IUP's nutrition/dietetic students get an internship. Also, you can only be an RD with this major. My freshman year first semester my GPA was beautiful because all the classes were easy but 2nd semester and on you will hate your life and want to get out of the major. Also did you know that only 54% of IUP's students stay all 4 YEARS!

D) The town is SHIT. The town of Indiana is the poorest and rainiest in the state. There is absolutely nothing to do. Everything goes out of business and out mall has lost basically every store except spencers and american eagle. (good stores but still..) the mall is basically a hallway. The people of indiana are also rude and basically have this image that all IUP students are horrible people. We aren't to towns folks. This town is absolute shit. It rains all the time and I waste so much money on rainboots and umbrellas it's ridiculous. E) The school in general is a waste of my out of state tuition. If you are from a different state well, you most likely will get excepted because anyone from PA will get accepted so they want you as a statistic for being out of state. Not worth your $25000 or whatever. When I first toured the dorms I thought they were beautiful but they aren't like it seems. The suits, no one converses with people so meeting people is really hard even if you are really outgoing. You can hear every footstep and alarm that goes on around you. The wifi is horrible and kicks you off every few hours or at least once a day. People are really inconciderate and loud. There is a whole page called ELEPHANT WALKERS OF IUP. The campus really isn't all that pretty. It's nice don't get me wrong but it isn't OMG! I tell my friends don't bother visiting because it is worthless and shit. This isn't how I wanted my college experience to be. Also the food is horrible. If you eat at the main dining all, not only is the food cold and bland but it will make you shit, gain weight, and make you hungry maybe an hour after. The other 2 dining halls aren't any better but you will shit less. My roommate and I spent so much money our first year on toilet paper. Disgusting. Everything is expensive and stupid. It is a money pitt and you will pay for the littlest and dumbest things. Also if you have a car on campus you part not only 15 minutes away from campus but it is $200 a year to park on rock and stones , they don't even bother plowing it in the winter and the buses take forever to get there. If you want ot park in the garage it is $350 a SEMESTER. Ridiculous. Also, good luck with parking tickets because you will get ticketed every 15 minutes if you don't move your car.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015