StudentsReview :: The Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Sep 30 2013Journalism
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I decided to attend IUP my junior year of high school. When I came to the college for a visitation it seemed as though the school had everything I wanted: a beautiful campus, a large number of students, a small town setting, and a reputable journalism program. I was still in love with IUP at the time of my orientation, and looked forward to starting my freshman year for the months that followed. I had always heard IUP was a party school, but I had believed the statements of others to be exaggerated as not many young adults from my area attend this university.

I was wrong.
Once I got to IUP as an incoming student it did not take long for the facade to crumble. I did not make friends (and still have not over a month into the semester), and someone had the audacity to tell me I would not make friends because I don't go out to parties. Long story short, if you don't drink you'll have a hard time finding people who want to befriend you.

On another level, I've found the academics here to be lacking. I've yet to be intellectually stimulated or challenged by my coursework, even in my 200 level classes which require prerequisites. I plan to transfer as soon as this semester comes to a close. The advice I offer to anyone considering IUP is if you graduated in the top of your class, are seeking somewhat challenging academics and believe there is more to college life that partying every day of the week, IUP is not for you.

Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: F
Dec 27 2012Nutrition
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
You know, when it was orientation time I loved it at IUP. The campus, the dorms were killer, and I thought the food was delicious. And not that I am half way through my sophomore year I realized everything I thought IUP was, wasn't.

A) The people here are rude, selfish, and very judgemental. I do party but mostly on the weekends. If you say you aren't going out on a weekday people will give you looks. If you wear something that isn't normal to the people of PA forget it. I am from out of state and I have not really meet people that aren't from the Burgh, Philly, or some hick town. I'd go somewhere else if you want good parties because they are shit, diverse accepting people because you won't get it here. The only way you will really meet people is if you join a sorority or fraternity. Guys are disrespectful and girls are complete bitches. If you meet a guy who seems friendly and sweet and you tell him you won't sleep with him he probably won't talk to you anymore. About 1/4 people at IUP have an STD of somesort.

B)This school is only based on partying. I like to party but honestly it is nice to do something different for a change. If you don't party, there isn't really anything to do. Everything in this town goes out of business because it is the poorest/ rainiest town in Pennsylvania. Not to mention the parties here are shit and if you aren't dressed like a slut people won't talk to you. If you are looking for amazing parties go to Penn State.

C) My department is horrible. I have learned nothing in my major. It is pointless and I have heard that from most people in it. The head of my department is rude and very unhelpful, just like most of the teachers here. Most of the classes brought down my GPA because they were ridiculously hard and had nothing to do with my major. The head of my department basically stated that if you aren't a "perfect student" you can forget about an internship because only half of IUP's nutrition/dietetic students get an internship. Also, you can only be an RD with this major. My freshman year first semester my GPA was beautiful because all the classes were easy but 2nd semester and on you will hate your life and want to get out of the major. Also did you know that only 54% of IUP's students stay all 4 YEARS!

D) The town is SHIT. The town of Indiana is the poorest and rainiest in the state. There is absolutely nothing to do. Everything goes out of business and out mall has lost basically every store except spencers and american eagle. (good stores but still..) the mall is basically a hallway. The people of indiana are also rude and basically have this image that all IUP students are horrible people. We aren't to towns folks. This town is absolute shit. It rains all the time and I waste so much money on rainboots and umbrellas it's ridiculous. E) The school in general is a waste of my out of state tuition. If you are from a different state well, you most likely will get excepted because anyone from PA will get accepted so they want you as a statistic for being out of state. Not worth your $25000 or whatever. When I first toured the dorms I thought they were beautiful but they aren't like it seems. The suits, no one converses with people so meeting people is really hard even if you are really outgoing. You can hear every footstep and alarm that goes on around you. The wifi is horrible and kicks you off every few hours or at least once a day. People are really inconciderate and loud. There is a whole page called ELEPHANT WALKERS OF IUP. The campus really isn't all that pretty. It's nice don't get me wrong but it isn't OMG! I tell my friends don't bother visiting because it is worthless and shit. This isn't how I wanted my college experience to be. Also the food is horrible. If you eat at the main dining all, not only is the food cold and bland but it will make you shit, gain weight, and make you hungry maybe an hour after. The other 2 dining halls aren't any better but you will shit less. My roommate and I spent so much money our first year on toilet paper. Disgusting. Everything is expensive and stupid. It is a money pitt and you will pay for the littlest and dumbest things. Also if you have a car on campus you part not only 15 minutes away from campus but it is $200 a year to park on rock and stones , they don't even bother plowing it in the winter and the buses take forever to get there. If you want ot park in the garage it is $350 a SEMESTER. Ridiculous. Also, good luck with parking tickets because you will get ticketed every 15 minutes if you don't move your car.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Education Quality: F
Dec 27 2012Nutrition
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I wish I never came to this school. But I did meet a few good people.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016