StudentsReview :: The Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The Indiana University of Pennsylvania

Aug 01 2010Finance
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
College, anywhere, is what you make of it. I've taken a spin around the community college scene prior to my three years at IUP, and I find that some students take great advantage of everything that is offered them, while others sit back and complain. If you're willing to come to IUP with a plan to put a little work into the major you choose, you're going to get along fine.

Kids come to IUP to get a solid education without spending the rest of their life in debt. If a student takes advantage of what IUP has to offer, that decision can lead to a great bang for their buck.

The faculty here are phenomenally helpful. There's at least one star in every department who will go out of their way to help you. All you need to do is ask for a little guidance. The particularly smart professors here come to teach and help students -- not to make grad students do their work for them.

Student life isn't bad either. There's a huge mix of students from all backgrounds and walks of life, a decent population of international students, plenty of opportunities to easily join clubs on campus, and a number of club sports and intramurals. The kids who complain are the ones who never consider playing a little frisbee instead of partying every night.I don't want to sugarcoat it, though. The weather in Western Pennsylvania gets a little rainy and cold over spring semester. But the campus is pretty in Autumn and as long as your not looking for Florida weather, the rain's really not all that bad.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2011
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
Dec 27 2012Nutrition
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
You know, when it was orientation time I loved it at IUP. The campus, the dorms were killer, and I thought the food was delicious. And not that I am half way through my sophomore year I realized everything I thought IUP was, wasn't.

A) The people here are rude, selfish, and very judgemental. I do party but mostly on the weekends. If you say you aren't going out on a weekday people will give you looks. If you wear something that isn't normal to the people of PA forget it. I am from out of state and I have not really meet people that aren't from the Burgh, Philly, or some hick town. I'd go somewhere else if you want good parties because they are shit, diverse accepting people because you won't get it here. The only way you will really meet people is if you join a sorority or fraternity. Guys are disrespectful and girls are complete bitches. If you meet a guy who seems friendly and sweet and you tell him you won't sleep with him he probably won't talk to you anymore. About 1/4 people at IUP have an STD of somesort.

B)This school is only based on partying. I like to party but honestly it is nice to do something different for a change. If you don't party, there isn't really anything to do. Everything in this town goes out of business because it is the poorest/ rainiest town in Pennsylvania. Not to mention the parties here are shit and if you aren't dressed like a slut people won't talk to you. If you are looking for amazing parties go to Penn State.

C) My department is horrible. I have learned nothing in my major. It is pointless and I have heard that from most people in it. The head of my department is rude and very unhelpful, just like most of the teachers here. Most of the classes brought down my GPA because they were ridiculously hard and had nothing to do with my major. The head of my department basically stated that if you aren't a "perfect student" you can forget about an internship because only half of IUP's nutrition/dietetic students get an internship. Also, you can only be an RD with this major. My freshman year first semester my GPA was beautiful because all the classes were easy but 2nd semester and on you will hate your life and want to get out of the major. Also did you know that only 54% of IUP's students stay all 4 YEARS!

D) The town is SHIT. The town of Indiana is the poorest and rainiest in the state. There is absolutely nothing to do. Everything goes out of business and out mall has lost basically every store except spencers and american eagle. (good stores but still..) the mall is basically a hallway. The people of indiana are also rude and basically have this image that all IUP students are horrible people. We aren't to towns folks. This town is absolute shit. It rains all the time and I waste so much money on rainboots and umbrellas it's ridiculous. E) The school in general is a waste of my out of state tuition. If you are from a different state well, you most likely will get excepted because anyone from PA will get accepted so they want you as a statistic for being out of state. Not worth your $25000 or whatever. When I first toured the dorms I thought they were beautiful but they aren't like it seems. The suits, no one converses with people so meeting people is really hard even if you are really outgoing. You can hear every footstep and alarm that goes on around you. The wifi is horrible and kicks you off every few hours or at least once a day. People are really inconciderate and loud. There is a whole page called ELEPHANT WALKERS OF IUP. The campus really isn't all that pretty. It's nice don't get me wrong but it isn't OMG! I tell my friends don't bother visiting because it is worthless and shit. This isn't how I wanted my college experience to be. Also the food is horrible. If you eat at the main dining all, not only is the food cold and bland but it will make you shit, gain weight, and make you hungry maybe an hour after. The other 2 dining halls aren't any better but you will shit less. My roommate and I spent so much money our first year on toilet paper. Disgusting. Everything is expensive and stupid. It is a money pitt and you will pay for the littlest and dumbest things. Also if you have a car on campus you part not only 15 minutes away from campus but it is $200 a year to park on rock and stones , they don't even bother plowing it in the winter and the buses take forever to get there. If you want ot park in the garage it is $350 a SEMESTER. Ridiculous. Also, good luck with parking tickets because you will get ticketed every 15 minutes if you don't move your car.

1st Year Female -- Class 2015
Perceived Campus Safety: A-, Education Quality: F
Dec 27 2012Nutrition
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I wish I never came to this school. But I did meet a few good people.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016