StudentsReview :: The Indiana University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Yale University -- New Haven, CT

The Indiana University of Pennsylvania

I transferred here as a junior and I

May 04 2011Criminal
I transferred here as a junior and I must say I wish I went here comming out of high school. The criminology program is phenomenal, and challenges you to think rather than just answer multiple choice questions. People are, for the most part, friendly. The campus is beautiful, and everything is either new of rennovated (from what I've seen, minus Keith Hall). It is cheap to go here in comparison to any other schools I looked at. Advising is great and they truly seem to care about you and your future. There are a plethora of oppurntunites and they all lead to your future success. The party atmosphere is also incredible. There are always parties no matter where you chose to go, however, there are only a few bars and they aren't anything special. I would definitely recommend IUP to anyone who wants to study criminology in college.
1st Year Male -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C+

I decided to attend IUP my junior year

Sep 30 2013Journalism
I decided to attend IUP my junior year of high school. When I came to the college for a visitation it seemed as though the school had everything I wanted: a beautiful campus, a large number of students, a small town setting, and a reputable journalism program. I was still in love with IUP at the time of my orientation, and looked forward to starting my freshman year for the months that followed. I had always heard IUP was a party school, but I had believed the statements of others to be exaggerated as not many young adults from my area attend this university.

I was wrong.
Once I got to IUP as an incoming student it did not take long for the facade to crumble. I did not make friends (and still have not over a month into the semester), and someone had the audacity to tell me I would not make friends because I don't go out to parties. Long story short, if you don't drink you'll have a hard time finding people who want to befriend you.

On another level, I've found the academics here to be lacking. I've yet to be intellectually stimulated or challenged by my coursework, even in my 200 level classes which require prerequisites. I plan to transfer as soon as this semester comes to a close. The advice I offer to anyone considering IUP is if you graduated in the top of your class, are seeking somewhat challenging academics and believe there is more to college life that partying every day of the week, IUP is not for you.

Faculty Accessibility: A, Social Life: F

I am finishing up my freshman year at

Apr 04 2010Business - Management and Administration
I am finishing up my freshman year at IUP and have thus far been disappointed for the most part, as have numerous others, and am transferring out this fall.

First and foremost- If you are looking for the "college experience", look elsewhere.. I was one of the more popular and outgoing kids in high school, and was friends with just about everybody in my class. It came as a huge suprise to see a "party school" consist of so many closed-off students. The majority of the students here are strangely antisocial and not open to meeting new people. The student body is not the most outgoing, and the dorms/suites consist of all closed doors with no social interaction among neighbors. Unlike other schools, the students keep to themselves and are strangely stand-offish. Very depressing atmosphere. This was the complete opposite at every other college that I visited, where students knew each other and were generally friendly.

As far as the whole party school rep that students brag about- it is EXTREMELY overrated. Students pride themselves and believe they are "party animals", but even the top frat parties are pretty mediocre usually. Frat houses are small and run down and not mansions like seen at other schools. If you are guy, be prepared to be turned down to a lot of parties because frats don't let guys in unless you are a brother there or know the person at the door. The majority of students are from rural areas where parties basically don't exist, so students are convinced IUP is "party central" when they visit. It honestly is no different then any other college campuses of the size. If partying is a huge priority to you, join a larger school as you will probably be a bit disappointed when IUP isn't really "party central".

As far as academics are concerned, most of my teachers were good. I had a few bad ones, but thats expected with any school. The teachers have been accessible, and were always open to communicating with me about things in my experience. I like the smaller class sizes, really works towards you.

The walls are paper thin and you hear everything in the suites. Its often hard to sleep at night since you are always close to some sort of street and everybody puts obnoxiously loud mufflers on their cars. The weather sucks but thats expected in this area. The food is pretty good and there is a large variety to choose from. Expensive, but pretty well priced by college standards.No school spirit whatshowever, but perhaps that will change if the school goes D1..

1st Year Male -- Class 2013