StudentsReview :: The Kutztown University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

The Kutztown University of Pennsylvania

Jan 21 2015Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
If you are seeking out higher education, do not attend Kutztown University. It is like an extended version of high school. The campus is depressing, the student population is small and dull, and the faculty members are as miserable there as the students.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Jan 21 2015Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Do not, waist your money or time at Kutztown. My only regret, is going to the University. It is a joke. I graduated with a G.P.A of 3.8. I worked my tail off at this school, and it's like the professors are so miserable with their jobs that they really don't care. The art department is a joke. I wouldn't even call it an art department. My high school art education was 20 x better then the education I received at Kutztown. If you are looking into art schools, and if you are serious about art, do not attend Kutztown .I made the mistake of choosing this school because it was cheaper. In reality, go to a school with a slightly higher price, and you have a chance. There is no true art community at this school, and you will be extremely depressed if you are looking for a place to grow with your creativity.
Preparedness: F Reputation: F
Sep 23 2014Communications
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am someone who attended KU & did in fact transfer & graduate college. I was able to compare positive & negative as far as a lot of things go so here is my honest & sound opinion about KU vs other universities.

First thing you NEED to know - Kutztown is a suitcase school. What does this mean? A majority & when I say a majority I mean 80%+ live close enough to the university that they can and do go home on weekends. Now, my experience in the dorms was that it was complete empty I can recall being the only girl on my floor numerous times on weekends. Could it have been different off campus? Possibly yes. But again, I never lived off campus.

Food: while I know I've heard a lot of negative comments being made about food when I compare KU to where I transferred to the good was MUCH better at KU. KU in my opinion offered a wide selection of food! You had 3+ different locations for food & tons of options to choose from. That was honestly one thing I missed when I transferred was the amount of options I had for food!

Dorms: the dorms were disgraceful. I'm just being honest. KU is VERY behind the times as far as college dorms go. They were falling apart. Every other college I looked at offered like 3-4 people share a bathroom. Dixon? The new dormitory was built VERY VERY poorly. You could hear EVERYTHING. Dorms are awful. Even off campus housing was VERY expensive & falling apart!!!

Professors: I LOVED the education I got at Kutztown. As far as my program went, my professors were extremely knowledgable, went above & beyond to help the students. Absolutely amazing faculty & staff. Their communication program was Excellent in my opinion.

The People: I for one found the people at KU to be a mixed bag. I made some wonderful connections with whom I still keep in touch with & who still encourage me on a daily basis. However, I also met more rednecks & hicks at KU then I did after transferring to a college in the south!! I personally never quiet felt I fit in at KU. I know others however, that made lots of friends & loved it so it's really the person.

The town: Kutztown itself is a DUMP!!! There is NOTHING but corn fields, a few (decent) restaurants, & a weis grocery store. The houses to rent are falling apart, there are NO movie theaters, bowling alleys, etc. the bar scene is "lacking" with one or two popular bars. Nothing happens in this town it's the middle of nowhere.

Safety: I never felt unsafe on campus. Not one time did I feel scared or uneasy. There weren't many reports of breakins or anything of the sort.

OVERALL - if you are local, if you want to save money, if you want a GOOD education at a cheap price & are more focused on studying & don't care about having any type of social life KU is for YOU.

If you like to party during the week & go home on weekends & like have your friends from HS - KU is for YOU

-If you are someone who is more of a city person & likes having a large variety of things to do & loves meeting new people & branching out KU IS NOT FOR YOU-

My opinion is mixed. Had you asked me a few years ago I would have said this school is god awful but after attending another institution I found myself missing some aspects of KU!Hope I helped

2nd Year Female -- Class 2009