StudentsReview :: The Kutztown University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

The Kutztown University of Pennsylvania

KU is inexpensive.Quite BrightComputer Science
KU is inexpensive.
That was by and far the selling point for me. To shorten a long story, I was forced to attend a PASSHE school for financial reasons--I waited too long in my senior year of high school to jump ship from what I had originally planned to study (Pharmacy--dodged that bullet...) and all of the good schools I had been accepted into wouldn't have offered me a satisfactory financial aid package for any other, non-high-paying degree (I/my folks didn't want me to have high debt). Plus, I didn't really know what I wanted to study. Anyway, after choosing Computer Science, I chose KU out of PASSHE because its five-year BS/MS program was financially attractive to me...

I will fervently stand by the Computer Science department; most of the faculty are great and the coursework is generally useful and insightful. I believe it to be one of the more "grown-up/no-bullshit" departments at KU. Also, the campus is nice.

That was the "selling point." Now, here's the catch: everything else sucks. I'm not going to sugar-coat it.

The general student body is comprised of unpleasant, immature, cretinous, arrogant, incapable things that belong in high school. If you're "somebody like me" (and if you are, you'll know I'm addressing you), let your ideals about the merits of public higher education take a knee before you decide to go here. If you can afford it, please go to a better school. Hell, go to West Chester. You can't make it work socially or emotionally here. At the beginning of each new semester, you'll have this sweet little feeling in your gut that you'll finally stumble upon your niche. You won't. It has taken me three years to accept that. Even in the "Honors Program"--been there, done that. It's a joke. I'm stuck here because my department is great, my field pays well, and I can't afford anything else. Don't be me. It has been a very lonely three years, and I won't be finished for a little while yet.

I swore to myself this would be more essay than novel (?), but I must do you a service to point out that the administration here is as ivory-tower-removed from the student body as could possibly be. They pay groundskeepers union salaries to make the grounds look nice only for the unsuspecting, unfortunate families that tour campus periodically. They seek that low-hanging-financial-fruit-of-freshmen, the coveted first-year government education financial-aid subsidy. What becomes of the frosh after that profitable one or two semesters--intellectually, socially or otherwise--is of no concern to the administration. This is apparent when, as a sophomore, a student no longer receives printed, snail-mail reminders for anything except "give us money" and "write thank-you's to your scholarship donors."I could clearly go on to write a novel based on my experiences... But I think you get the picture. It's Orwellian. To justify my being here, it is inexpensive-Orwellian. But it's Orwellian nonetheless. Please take me seriously. I wish someone would've prepared me as an ambitious young frosh...

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F
Fact: KU only has a 34% graduation rate;Other
Fact: KU only has a 34% graduation rate; that's just a little over a third of those who attend will actually graduate. And no, this appallingly low graduation rate isn't because the academics are brutally difficult; most of the students either drop out (because they're not college material to begin with and just come here to please their parents) or they transfer out because they realize this school is not a place that will allow you to get a proper education and grow. It's gotten to the point where the school has even set up retention programs in an desperate attempt to get people to stay. It makes it difficult to learn in an environment where students aren't motivated enough to be successful and just skip class and party all the time. It's impossible to have an intelligent conversation with someone. This school will just accept anyone who can keep shoving money down their throat. Parents, I would really advise against sending your children to this school if they're truly motivated and desire success in life. Yes, aesthetically the campus looks appealing and yes, the tour guides are peppy and make it seem like an amazing place. It really isn't a great place at all. Think of your return on investment; you'll spend upwards of a thousands of dollars to send you child here, possibly take out some loans, to only make a mediocre salary (the average 10 year salary of a KU grad is roughly $40k, which is below the national average).
If you're looking for a college experience thatBrightOther
If you're looking for a college experience that is going to offer you unique opportunities and expose you to different kinds of people, Kutztown University is NOT the school for you. The only people who attend this place are a bunch of closeminded, classless people who have never and probably never will leave their backyard. To them, partying is more important than schoolwork. If you're not dumb, obnoxious, cliquey, and loud, good luck finding friends. Academics here are kind of a joke as well. If you're a science major, good luck finding research opportunities. You're treated like you're still in high school and it's pretty annoying, but I guess that's because many of the students still have the high school mentality. The food on campus is greasy and unhealthy, public safety works harder to ticket every petty parking violation instead of keeping students safe, and the dorms here are a huge hit or miss. You can either land in a new, renovated place or a craphole that hasn't been updated since the mid 60s. I came here for one semester and I'm glad to be going elsewhere come this fall.
1st Year Male -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A, Education Quality: F
Compare KUPSave KUP

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→