StudentsReview :: The Kutztown University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Brown University -- Providence, RI

The Kutztown University of Pennsylvania

I just finished my freshman year at KU

Jul 27 2014Communications
I just finished my freshman year at KU. In this review I will talk about what I did like and what I didn't like. I am being as honest as I can for the people who are trying to pick a school.

What I did like: Kutztown is a beautiful campus. Its a nice walk to class and the gym is gorgeous. They really keep up with it and make sure that everything is nice and taken care of. When it is nice outside, everyone is out throwing a ball or walking around. I became best friends with the people in my residence hall so it was always a good time just hanging out. I loved seeing new faces every day too. I felt that the teachers and faculty were very nice except for a few, but that is anywhere you will go! Classes can be challenging and it is often a wake up call for people but that is a good thing.

What I didn't like: Long walks to class.. in the winter it gets SO cold up there and walks to class can be far. Fall semester was always fun on the weekends but spring semester was different. It almost felt like if you did not know someone in a frat/sorority or werent in one, you probably werent going to have many options. Toward the end there would be about one open party a weekend that everyone could go to. The better food was farther away from the dorms which sucked because of the cold winter.These are just things i can think of off of the top of my head. I am not returning to Kutztown and it seems that most people do not. No one is in love with this school but many do like it. If you're going to school and looking for fun on the weekends all year 'round, i would advice looking elsewhere unless you know how to make your own fun!

Faculty Accessibility: A, Surrounding City: D-

I just wasted a year of my life at this university and am

Jul 25 2014Computer Science
I just wasted a year of my life at this university and am extremely upset I cannot get that back. Seriously, avoid this university if you are truly determined to be successful in life. I am extremely glad I transferred out of this school and can eliminate it from my resume.

To all prospective students, beware because while Kutztown like to use pro-university propaganda to drag students in to make it seem like this amazing school. I swear, most of our tuition money goes to keeping the outside of the campus looking pretty as opposed to a quality college experience and education.

First, let's start off with the infamous dining services. Ugh. The food is HORRENDOUS. All deep fried, unhealthy, and overpriced. And get this, you can get soda for free with your meal, but you get charged an extra dollar if you want water instead. Great way to promote a healthy lifestyle. No wonder half the people on campus are overweight! South Dining Hall takes the cake for the worst food on campus. And the worst part of it all? You're told WHEN you can use your meal swipes? Well what if I want food NOW? I don't want to wait 3 hours to use my next swipe. The dining staff are incompetent, rude, and will not hesitate to try and overcharge you.

Let's move on to the residence halls. Should you decide to live on campus your first year, you will be placed in a traditional hall and let me tell you, it feels more like you're being warehoused. The rooms themselves are very small, and would be considered singles in other schools. In fact, the room I lived in was only supposed to be a single, but I had a roommate anyway. The people who live in these residence halls are loud and obnoxious and the CAs just don't seem to want to do their job. In my building, there have been incidents with CAs partying and even HOOKING UP with students. Disgusting. And most of the residence halls need some serious renovations. They're falling apart like crazy on the inside.

Most of the students who attend Kutztown in all honesty aren't really college material. Basically if you can foot the bill for the tuition, you're in. Students seems to be more interested in partying than learning. The drop out rate for this school is absolutely appalling! Also, don't be fooled my the university's sayings on how "diverse" they are. Most of the students reside from surrounding communities in rural Pennsylvania, with the occasional wealthy kids from New Jersey.

The education quality is also terrible. Many of the professors in my department barely speak English and are rude, condescending, and self absorbed. They could care less about their student's academic success. In many of my classes, profs chose to read directly off of powerpoint slides and make us copy them, without providing much of their own input.

Students here don't seem to have any clue with that they want to do with their lives and often lack any sort of motivation or competence. It makes it really difficult to learn in an environment where your peers aren't motivated as well. The drop out rates are absolutely astonishing!

Also, Kutztown is in no way shape or form a "college town". It's a gloomy, blue collar looking redneck town in the middle of nowhere with not much to do, and is full of a bunch of uptight locals who absolutely despise the students from the university. The parties always get busted and are usually pretty lame.

Kutztown University is also a huge "suitcase school", meaning people often leave on the weekends to go home, since they live close by. The campus becomes an absolute ghost town on the weekends and can be really really boring. Please do not be fooled by just the looks of the school and the preppy tour guides because looks can be very deceiving. It's really all just an act to drag people in and take their money. This school will do ANYTHING to schmooze an extra penny out of you. So many people, like myself end up transferring out to much better schools.

Campus Aesthetics: A, Individual Value: F

Oh jeez I don't even know where to

Aug 19 2014Undecided
Oh jeez I don't even know where to get started... Well, I'll just tell you right now before you read the rest of this: DO NOT GO HERE. It will be your most expensive year of high school. I'm not even going to discuss the academics because that's what Kutztown is. High school. I was a freshman last semester and will not be returning. Thank sweet baby Jesus.

The Campus
Overall, during the non-winter months (not Nov., Dec., Jan., Feb., and March), the campus is beautiful. Sprawling lawns, blossoming flowers, and numerous trees dot the campus landscape. Once the never ending winter arrives, it is the ugliest place you'll ever see. Dead grass that gets muddy whenever it snows or rains. Bare trees. Barren flower beds. All of this just makes the bland, rectangular academic buildings look even more prison-like.

Now not all of the buildings on campus look like they were designed by entry-level architects in the 60s. The Academic Forum has a modern stadium-like design. Boehm, the science building, has an awesome design, reminiscent of an industrial revolution type factory for the modern day. And the Schaeffer Auditorium... Just a beautiful building.

The only money the campus spends is on maintaining these grounds. However, they seem to spend ABSOLUTELY NOTHING when it comes to ice removal. So bring your ice skates when you come. If you don't have a pair, buy one.

Oh yeah. The food. No. Just don't. You'll have explosive diarrhea for the first month. No joke. It's so greasy and horrible and fried and gross and horrible. Did I already say horrible? Save your money on a meal plan and just buy groceries. Oh wait. Don't do that because you shouldn't even be going here.

Residence Halls
These buildings are also poorly designed. Small, hot rooms that haven't been updated since construction. Barely any shower privacy. And the bathrooms. My god. I've seen porta potties cleaner than these.

Some buildings require visitors, even those who attend the university AND live on campus, to be checked in during the first semester. Those same people who do the checking in also have the ability to search your bags upon entery to the building. And trust me - they will.

Some CAs are so gung ho about their jobs that it seems like they're out to get students for any slight violation of the dorm's totalitarian rules. Others just sleep with residents. Don't bother coming back to the dorms if you're drunk, or they'll call security on you and then they will be required to take you on a very, very expensive ambulance ride. You'd have a better chance of not getting caught if you slept on a sidewalk in the middle of town.

The Town
It's just blah. Like any old town in PA that's not a suburb. Looks like a town that popped up during the coal mining era of the state. It's all houses. Very low quality, very expensive houses. The majority of stores are at the bottom of the hill, which is the opposite side of the campus, about a mile from university property. There is a Giant food market in walking distance though.

Anything worth doing or going to is either in Allentown, 20 miles away, or in Reading, 18 miles away. Mall? 45 minutes.

All of that hate out of the way, the surrounding area, which consists entirely of cornfields, is actually very pleasing to the optic nerves. Rolling hills and a small creek are only a three minute drive from campus.

The People and Social Life
Everyone smokes. Be it cigarettes or marijuana- the only two social things to do during the week- guaranteed a majority do so. And if you smoke cigarettes, the closest place to campus that sells them, closes at 11PM so have fun after parties. On one of your daily mile long treks to class, fully expect a plume of cig smoke to hit you like... well, a plume of cig smoke, slithering through the huge herd of people you'll be forced to walk with.

The humans are either jerks, stuck up, guys that just want to fight everything, ghetto, slightly ghetto, ex-high school band members turned into the loosest party animals, or some of the nicest and most friendly people (if you're lucky to find them).

The parties are a joke in the really creepy kind of way. Like an inappropriate joke your creepy uncle that you're not really related to would say. If you have male genitalia or you're an even below average looking girl, be prepared to get charged five dollars to get one or two cups of beer before the party gets busted by the ever so pesky police. The settings of these uncomfortable parties are in basements and houses that look like they can be used for an Investigation Discovery special about rape.

Not many people are active in Greek life. Sororities are almost never heard of and the frats are nothing special.

Bottom line: the only thing that separates this school from any other is its extreme blandness. The end.

1st Year Male -- Class 2017