StudentsReview :: Messiah College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College -- Wheaton, IL
Wheaton College -- Norton, MA

Messiah College

Okay first off, I came to Messiah asMusic Education
Okay first off, I came to Messiah as a transfer student so my experience may be different then those who came in as freshmen.

The best part of Messiah College is Orientation Week. Everyone is amazing to everyone, you make great friends and Service Day is an incredible experience. However once the semester starts, you realize very quickly the college is nothing like that.

The student body is half chill down to earth people and half rich spoiled pricks. If you look at the parking lot, it's all used crappy cars and BMWs. There's literally no in between. It's also crazy cliquey so good luck trying to date because drama is crazy and department wide.

Speaking of dating, the college has an open door policy which is fine, but it means you may walk in on a couple getting to second base in THE PUBLIC LOBBIES. It's not pretty.

Teachers are a hit and miss. Some of the teachers at Messiah are by far the best teachers I've ever had. If you go, take Islam with Dr. Pickens for your religion credit (which is required). Some are very very VERY passive aggressive. I remember asking a professor (when I had done an assignment incorrectly) if I should redo the assignment, she literally crossed her arms and said "I don't know, do you think you should?" Also they pick favorites based on arbitrary things.

The dorms are also hit and miss. The freshman dorms are Witmer, Naugle and Bittner. Bittner is the newest one and Witmer is the oldest. If you are in Witmer, be prepared for the fire alarm to go off for no reason every week at least. The apartments are really nice though, and I personally didn't have any bad RAs.

Messiah is a super safe campus, so there's that. But since half the students are rich spoiled brats, harassment is rampant and the faculty do nothing about it. I don't know a single girl at Messiah who was not stalked at least once.

The Engle Center (the on campus medical center) is the worst. They misdiagnose to the point where it is dangerous. My roommate went there with what we later found out was a serious concussion, and they gave her ibuprofen and sent her away. We had to drive her to the emergency room that same day. They also diagnosed my mono as a cold. Seriously, the worst. The Counselling team there is great though, that is the only exception.

The on campus jobs are pretty great. The managers are really nice people and will work around your class schedule. I worked at Lottie Nelson and to this day, Todd Christopher is the best manager I have ever had.All this being said, there were great things about my time at Messiah. I met my husband and some of my best friends there. I was also bullied, by students and teachers, and it honestly caused me to become very depressed and begin self harming. I would be so happy to talk to anyone considering Messiah and answer any questions as objectively as I can.

I had come to Messiah with the hopesAverageUndecided
I had come to Messiah with the hopes of getting into the Nursing program but was only accepted as an undeclared because of my overall high school GPA, which was fine. But one thing I would say is that the Nursing program here is VERY difficult to get into and stay in. My gpa at the end of my first spring semester was only 0.07 away from the 3.0 gpa requirement and I was not accepted. You are also only allowed to obtain a single overall grade of a C in one of the science classes; otherwise you will be tossed from the program. But aside from the difficulty of this program, the quality of the academics here at pretty great. It is a little more on the rigorous side but not overly so and the majority of professors are more than happy to help you, both in class or if you come to their office hours. Also the social atmosphere is fairly accepting and friendly, with of course the exception of some people that are not as much so but I think every school will have some of those. Overall I had a generally positive experience at Messiah, however I am transferring this upcoming fall because I was not able to get into Nursing.
1st Year Female -- Class 1920
Perceived Campus Safety: A+, Surrounding City: D+
Was not allowed toQuite BrightEducation
Was not allowed to become a teacher based on my sat score. was told by Donald Murk that I should think about transferring schools. terrible Ra's no support. VERY FAKE.
1st Year Female -- Class 1920