StudentsReview :: Messiah College - Comments and Student Experiences

Wheaton College -- Norton, MA

Messiah College

Feb 02 2014PreMed and Medical
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I am in the pre-med program at Messiah. I was National Merit Scholar and recieved a 2340 on my SAT. I was originally looking at Columbia, Stanford and Yale, but I realized that I wanted to find a place that pursued academic excellence without the negative impact of an overly competitive community. I am in my third semester at Messiah and that is exactly what it has been for me. The academics are excellent, and I for the first time in my life I am actually enjoying academia. Messiah has taught me that education is about community, not competition and I am learning to push myself harder than ever, not to beat my classmates, but to better myself and my peers by pursuing excellence. Thank you Messiah for freeing me from the lie of competitive academia and allowing me to truly learn for the first time.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, Campus Maintenance: B+
Dec 23 2013Political Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Messiah College is really not worth it. There is just to much about this school that is not good. The college is not a very hospitable place when it comes to the staff and administration. You will meet some faculty that truly care about you as well as lifelong friends. However, those two things could be found at other schools that cost less money. Messiah is not worth the price. The service at Messiah is simply awful. I graduated this semester but they won't let me get my degree until May, also the dining service people took a week to take me off the meal plan charge. This was only after I had seen them several times. They are all to happy to ask for money but then they deliver slow and rude service.

In regards to the faculty they are bringing in more adjuncts. The adjuncts classes are often easier but part of the reason you pay extra money for Messiah is the faculty being more available to you. Also the clubs here are not very active. There are only 12 on campus and many do not do much. You basically have to create your own fun which can happen but still I wish I knew that going in.This place is a prison if I had started as a freshmen I would have transferred out like so many do. My friends group go smaller as so many left. Also it seems many professors don't send their kids here I wonder why? Head my warning avoid this place it is not worth the price period.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A, University Resource Use: F
Sep 30 2013Computer Science
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I just do not feel that obtaining a college degree from Messiah College was a very good return on investment. After spending over $100,000 in tuition, I graduated in May 2013 and have not been able to find a good, stable job since then (October 2013). In case you were thinking that I could not find a job because I have not done my part in learning the material from Messiah College, my overall GPA was 3.75 while my major GPA was 3.81 out of 4.0. I believe that I have not been able to find a job because Messiah really has not taught me enough material that would be applicable to the workplace.

First, in many of the classes I was required to take for my major, I have not even seen the material from those classes being used in any work environments for my field. Second, my department continues to let inadequate professors teach. For example, one professor in my department was unreasonably horrible; his classes consist of making students memorize useless terminology, memorize acronyms, learn software that would be extremely easy for one to learn on his own (ex. Twitter), etc. Another professor in my department was better, but still bad; his classes did teach useful material, but unfortunately that professor could not explain the material very well.

What many interviewers want from candidates is experience. When a college does not provide students with experience by effectively teaching them applicable material used in the workplace, then it is hard for a student to gain experience through that college, even if he or she has a high GPA. Thus, I did not believe it was a very good investment to pay over $100,000 for a Messiah college degree, only to be told when I graduated that I needed more experience.Besides what I learned at Messiah College, I also did not feel that the Messiah College atmosphere was very friendly. One of the main reasons why I chose Messiah College was that since it is a Christian college, I believed that the people there would be more friendly. However, spending 4 years at Messiah helped correct that fallacy as I realized that many Christians are really just self-righteous hypocrites. There also are some Christians at Messiah who do bad things such as use people to do work for them and lie about their work hours to get more money and still believe that they men of God.

4th Year Male -- Class 2013