StudentsReview :: University of the Sciences - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY

University of the Sciences

Dec 03 2014Pharmacy
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This university saddled me with a lot of debt in the middle of a complete lack of available positions. I managed to get a job through an outside connection. The only thing that may have helped me in that regard was a rotation I during my overly priced 6th year. Honestly, if pharmacy is still your dream despite of the lack of available positions, go to a cheaper school. You'll be doing yourself a favor.
Starting Job: Associate medical writer Preparedness: D+ Reputation: D+
May 05 2014Pharmacy
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I had the worst first semester mainly due to a bad academic advisor. She was really horrible as she did not help and even tried to belittled me. I was not doing as well as I wanted to first semester and I improved a bit in second semester, but overall, I did not do well. Now that I have completed my first year, I do realize that my desired grade is achievable if I worked very hard for it. Despite being depressed first semester, I was happy at my second semester; I've learned that it is not only me that is going through the ordeal, that in fact, many others are. If you are interested in the health care field, I strongly suggest this school, but be aware that it will be challenging.
1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A-, Social Life: F
Apr 26 2014Unknown
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I do not attend the University of the Sciences, but I am an accepted student who had the opportunity to visit the campus before making the decision to not go to USciences. Let me start off by saying that I am from NY and therefore I am a city girl who has seen the norm and outrageous that there is to see. I am a great student that values education, but also values a social life. When I went to visit the University of the Sciences, I had a horrible experience. The student body is EXTREMELY small. There really isn't any attraction around the University; it's really barren and quiet. Although if you walk some, you might find something to do in University City but nothing significant. I asked my tour guide about Uscience's traditions and fun activities. Her response was that it was bad luck to step on the compass, and UPenn (which not to far from USciences)had a skating rink and hosted partied that students could attend. I found that really lame because Usciences should be able to do fun things on their own campus. Not students having to wait for Upenn to do something fun. THAT WAS IT! She tried to make the university seem like their were things to do on campus, but she wasn't doing a very good job on it. I visited my admission counselor and he seemed like he wanted to make the talk brief. In the financial aid dept., a lady was flat out rude to a girl that asked a simple question. Goodman hall is really trash when compared to dorms that I've seen at St. John's University. The dorm rooms are decent, but there was an area in the entrance that looked like it use to be a kitchen or even a bathroom that was trashed. I Think the only good thing about the university might be the academics, but the environment and lack of social activities wasn't for me. If you're dedicated to academics and wouldn't mind the lack of social aspect then the university then maybe the university might suit you. I also found out that the school does archery for gym which is cool. Also, there is a class for rifle shooting which you can get a certificate for, but you don't have to do it if you don't feel comfortable about shooting.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018