StudentsReview :: Philadelphia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Philadelphia University

I completed freshman year and not a single

Jul 17 2013Business - Management and Administration
I completed freshman year and not a single day passed that I didn't complain. However the coursework for fashion merchandising was great it's just the school itself isn't. Also, at the end of the year I switched my major to fashion industry management hoping that sophmore year will be more exciting because I will have design classes and not just business. This school is extremely boring without schoolwork. Nothing goes on and nobody attends the sporting events or other events planned. It seems like the only people who have fun here are students who are 21 because of the massive amounts of bars around. Also, going into Philly or Manayunk is only fun so many times. It's extremely hard to get around as a freshman as well because it's a residential area so there aren't many things around to walk to. If you're looking for a typical college experience do not come here.This school is like a hipster high school. You get to know everyone very quickly because of the size so soon you will realize that it's exactly like highschool because you will have a very small group of friends and never have plans. If you're looking for a good education and are an extreme loner this school is perfect. If you're looking for a party school with tons of things to do don't waste the absurd amount of money this school requires.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Individual Value: A+, Social Life: D+

The first thing I can say about this

Jun 01 2013Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
The first thing I can say about this school is that it always made me angry. It had potential but could never seem to live up to a true college experience. I started as a Graphic Design major and I hated it. First of all the freshman year foundations classes (basically the same for all of the design majors) are a joke. I repeat, A JOKE. I could have easily gone on the internet and learned all of those things in a fraction of the time. It was a waste of my life, I painted shapes and was told my craftsmanship was slightly poor. I did not pay money to paint! Once the actual classes got started, I learned that both my professors and fellow students were full of themselves. Everyone thinks they're amazing and try to bring you down. Its competitive in a destructive way. I considered dropping out.

When I switched to Digital Design, things got much better and I was happy I didn't give up. My professors were actually competent, and completely willing to teach and help. If I could say any of my money at this school was worth spending, it was in the last half of my college experience as a Digital Design major.

So why was I angry? Aside from only getting 2 good years of education (and a nice scholarship), the school itself made me feel awful in every way:

-The administration offices were the bane of my existence. I hated every one in charge at this school and with the exception of a few good professors, I felt like I was just a number.

-Aside from Architecture, Fashion, and Business majors, you are not a priority.
-Just far enough from the city that it is a hassle to go there more than once a week. Let's be honest, it's in the suburbs. More action/parties at a high school

-I also grew to loathe the city of Philadelphia
-Security is sometimes a joke. The area isn't so bad but still.
Lastly, why care about how pretty the campus is? Worry about the quality of your education. When I left it seemed they were making big changes so hopefully (depending on the major) you get something worthwhile.

4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Innovation: A, Scholastic Success: F

Philadelphia University is definitely not the best school

Jun 02 2013Other
Philadelphia University is definitely not the best school out there. Although like any school it has good qualities and its bad ones. The city of Philadelphia is pretty cool, especially moving there from a small suburban town. It's dirty claiming the nickname "Philthadelphia" and there are a lot of bad neighborhoods but center city is relatively safe during the day and can get sketchy late at night. Although it gets pretty dead after 9pm when everything starts to close down. East Falls, where the school is located, is a nicer more up-scale part of the city. There are lots of cool houses and parks with-in walking distance (such as the Wissahickon, which is wonderful). The best thing about this school is the location, its about a 30minute bus ride to downtown, there is a train station not too far from campus, and being on the outskirts of the city it's quiet and there is plenty of green space to escape into nature.

This school is a design school, and because of that it lacks academically. None of the classes I took were really challenging. My major classes were really interesting, and its nice because you start working on your major right away. I took 3 core classes for my major my freshman year, where at other schools you have to finish all of your gen-eds first. The President can often be seen walking around the campus and talking to students. Small classes allow you to really get to know your professors and after your first year the head of your department becomes your adviser which really makes for a more personal experience.

Socially the school is really awkward. There isn't really any culture. It's not politically active. There's never a whole bunch to do on campus and a lot of the school run events turn out to be pretty lame. There are a few parties hosted by students that are usually off-campus but relatively close by. My experiences have been a $5 entrance fee and then usually followed disappointment. It seems like everyone just wants to get drunk and get drunk fast. If you want a party school in Philly try Temple or Drexel. The student body is very cliquish. If your'e not in, you're out (unless you have a fake ID). People tend to only hang out with people in their majors, so if you aren't in architecture or industrial design or something you feel excluded. People are often stuck-up and will blow you off because they are obviously better than everyone else, right? This makes people unapproachable and it can be difficult to makes friends if your enrolled in a smaller major. Everyone I talked too had at least considered transferring at some point, and a bunch of people do!

The school tries to advertise how "innovative" is it, when thats all a lie. I hate to word innovation and they shove it into everything. They just built a new $16 million building that looks innovative but really isn't. They also spend more time advertising their online college courses than the actual school itself. The administration is unorganized and there is little interdepartmental communication which makes getting anything done difficult. PhilaU is nothing special and it seemed like a lot of students graduate with resentment towards the school. If the school tried harder to be better it could. It can have a lot to offer, depending on how far you are willing to go.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016