StudentsReview :: Philadelphia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Philadelphia University

Wireless network, its stupid how you raise tuition

Apr 10 2004Business - Management and Administration
Wireless network, its stupid how you raise tuition every year for nothing. The student population believes it is for no reason. No campus life. no parking. Stupid security guards at the dorms instead of easier to use swipe card access. No body really cares about signing people in and stupid shit like that. Kids are going to do what they want regardless. The totem pole is stupid and everyone hates it. Thank god you finally got into the 2000 with registering online.
3rd Year Male -- Class 2007
Education Quality: A+, Campus Aesthetics: F

Overall, it is a good school

Apr 10 2004Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Overall, it is a good school. The work is extremely challenging and the teachers in my department are good. However, the university doesnt make good use of its funds to make the campus better. The grounds are beautiful, but the dorms are not. Things never get fixed, the living space is not always comfortable, and housing is not guaranteed after freshman year. I am not getting my moneys worth from room and board at all. Some other programs at the university are lacking funds and it affects the students learning experience. The university is using funds to fill the President's wallet, instead of increasing the professors' salary and fixing things on camups. (That is not an assumption, that is a proven fact.)They use money to plant flowers instead of fixing leaking sinks in bathrooms and getting air conditioners. All of the faculty is not cooperative. When dealing with financial aid or residence life, it is impossible to get anything done without a lot of difficulty and stress. And most importantly, campus security is not always there when you really need them. The good stuff? Beautiful campus, good professors, a lot of nice students, close to the city. Every school has its problems, but overall, this is a good choice if you want a good education.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2006
Campus Aesthetics: A, University Resource Use: F

This school sucks money out of you,and then

Apr 10 2004Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
This school sucks money out of you,and then does not care for you after a year or two. They promised me many things including, housing, saftey, accesible facilities, and much more, and I have yet to see it. The administration is horrible!!! No one helps you or cares for your convenience. My building is falling apart. It takes forever to get anything that is broken, fixed. The food services are horrible. I was pleased for about a semester. The quality in food goes down as the year progresses, so don't be fooled! When you come here as a tour, they feed you real food and make it seem like dinning serivces is really special, but they have no food selection for diets or anything, unless you want salad everynight. I feel that air conditioning is a necessity over here, especially August-October, and very few buildings have it. The housing selection is the most horrible experience of my life!!! They don't care how far you've come or how many years or experience you have. The process is completley random and they will screw you over no matter where you live or what your other options may or may not be!!! The guest policy is ridiculous. And it makes me feel no safer than if they had none. The "security" that is suppose to make us feel safe, actually scares me more. They are people who can not get employed anywhere else and do nothing to make me feel safe. There is a man who calls and harasses people and Philadelphia University has done nothing to stop this. I can not believe that this man has been doing it and not gotten cought for so many years. It makes me feel very unsafe that some stranger can call me and know my name and where I am on campus. Bugs and rodents are a problem here as well. The school is not only completley over-priced, but they fine you for every possible thing that they can think of. Parking is nearly impossible, even if you do get a permit, which is hard in itself. Freshman can't even have cars for most of the year. We are just now switching over to online registration, which I heard is very badly set up and is not an improvment over the ancient system we had before. The deparmtents don't communicate with each other, which is extremely annoying. They bother you with unimportant information because they can't converse with other administration. Registraion is atrocious. BRING ADVIL!!!

Overall I am very angry with financial aid, RESIDENCE LIFE, physical plant, food services, admissions, registrars office, student accounts, and safety and security.

I am pleased with my courses and the faculty. I feel I am being challanged and that I am learning a lot of information, both for my major and in general studies. Health Service is nice as well. I feel comfotable and well taken care of there. An overall warning to anyone who is thinking about going here... THE SCHOOL LIES!!! They will tell you anything that you want to hear, while you are applying. They love money and will not love you. Don't buy into all the propoganda they send you as a high school senior. They sent me many letters and made me feel like they would really care for me and it took a while for me to see that they didn't, but they really could not care any less for me. I feel for the price that I am paying and will be paying for many years to come, I should be getting a pleasant experience and not all this trouble. I feel as though I can't leave now, because of all the money I have put into this school. Our president gives himself raises as he sees fit!!! So you guess where our money goes. There is a huge housing shortage, but the school will not build more dorms or apartments. Instead they build useless things, like totem statues, fountains, trees, and a bigger student center. I feel that having some where to live is more important than having some where to lounge. I am, overall, not an angry person, but please believe me when I say that this school lies to you and will do anything, but be helpful, to get your money.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2006