StudentsReview :: Philadelphia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Philadelphia University

I am an Animation major just so you

May 20 2013Other
I am an Animation major just so you know!!
Things you NEED to know about PhilaU:

The main majors are Architecture, Fashion Design/FIM, and Integrative Design
This is a DESIGN school, NOT an ART school
The science programs at PhilaU are WEAK
This is NOT a party school
This is mainly a commuter school[Most students go home on the weekend, I'd say about 35-45%]
The campus is gorgeous
The city is accessible and really fun, make sure you explore!
PhilaU IS near the city, crimes are bound to happen.
Be city smart, please
PhilaU is a clean, well kept campus. VERY pretty in the spring and fall. But keep in mind the winter is early/long. The gorgeous campus you see on your tour is NOT year-round. (Although it is still pretty all year)

The food gets old but use your meal swipes!!
You don't get notifications about packages/mail. Check regularly
The Animation majors are not very passionate.. If you're coming here for Animation, look elsewhere. This school will not challenge your creative abilities.(At least not your first year)I'd say the quality of education is average(depends on the teacher) but the price you're paying for it is more than what it is worth.

Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: D

I went to Philadelphia University for one year

Jan 31 2013PreMed and Medical
I went to Philadelphia University for one year before I decided to transfer for a number of reasons. I would like to start by saying that PhilaU is a great school for someone who wants individual attention and to walk around a campus that is beautiful. It is also really good if you know what you want to do going in. I was in the PA program which is honestly why I attended the school in the first place. The reason I ended up leaving was a couple of things. First off I felt that I was never challenged at this school academically. I was able to pull a very high GPA with minimal effort and was never really stretched or pushed academically. People should realize that this school is a major commuter school with very little social life on the weekends, many people go home and as an out of stater it made it sometimes difficult to enjoy being at a place where there wasn't much to do. The clubs are good but there are limited in number and scope. Another issue with PhilaU is to me it just felt like an extension of high school that I lived at. Ultimately I left because I wanted to be better challenged and get the college experience of sporting events, school spirit, traditions, ect.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016
Campus Aesthetics: A+, University Resource Use: C-

The first thing I can say about this

Jun 01 2013Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
The first thing I can say about this school is that it always made me angry. It had potential but could never seem to live up to a true college experience. I started as a Graphic Design major and I hated it. First of all the freshman year foundations classes (basically the same for all of the design majors) are a joke. I repeat, A JOKE. I could have easily gone on the internet and learned all of those things in a fraction of the time. It was a waste of my life, I painted shapes and was told my craftsmanship was slightly poor. I did not pay money to paint! Once the actual classes got started, I learned that both my professors and fellow students were full of themselves. Everyone thinks they're amazing and try to bring you down. Its competitive in a destructive way. I considered dropping out.

When I switched to Digital Design, things got much better and I was happy I didn't give up. My professors were actually competent, and completely willing to teach and help. If I could say any of my money at this school was worth spending, it was in the last half of my college experience as a Digital Design major.

So why was I angry? Aside from only getting 2 good years of education (and a nice scholarship), the school itself made me feel awful in every way:

-The administration offices were the bane of my existence. I hated every one in charge at this school and with the exception of a few good professors, I felt like I was just a number.

-Aside from Architecture, Fashion, and Business majors, you are not a priority.
-Just far enough from the city that it is a hassle to go there more than once a week. Let's be honest, it's in the suburbs. More action/parties at a high school

-I also grew to loathe the city of Philadelphia
-Security is sometimes a joke. The area isn't so bad but still.
Lastly, why care about how pretty the campus is? Worry about the quality of your education. When I left it seemed they were making big changes so hopefully (depending on the major) you get something worthwhile.

4th Year Female -- Class 2012