StudentsReview :: Philadelphia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Philadelphia University

Jul 27 2010Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I'll be honest, I think my high school senior year self is an idiot for deciding to accept a place at PhilaU. My first choice school was FIT, but I got waitlisted. And not an hour after I got my waitlist letter, who else calls me but a PU admissions guy asking if I would be attending in the fall. Vulnerable, sad, and teary, I told him I would be there in August. I tried to look on the bright side and told myself it was a gorgeous campus (which it is), smaller class sizes would be better, living in a dorm is a good experience, and living in a new city would be fun. Yeah right.

Like many people have said before, making friends is difficult, which is saying something given that it's a slow ~relaxed~ place. And on top of that, being a New York City girl through and through, I just couldn't relate to the 98% suburban people there. I never played sports in high school, I don't drive, I don't rely on the radio as my source of radio, and I wouldn't be caught dead in a North Face jacket, Uggs, and a Vera Bradley bag. And Philadelphia itself is a joke. Getting into the city is timely (unless you have the patience and spare money to get the hourly train), it's tiny by comparison, and things start to close as early as 6pm (6!!). And don't even get me started on the campus social scene itself. I had more fun in the first 10 minutes of visiting a friend at Brown than I had in two months at PU, a red flag that got me to thinking of transferring.

Academics were hardly anything to write home about either. I was expecting to be challenged, but once again, PU was a letdown. A 60 is passing and you need to maintain a 2.5 GPA to keep your scholarship (which all bashing aside, was a pretty healthy amount of aid). Come on, give me something to strive for! My high school English teacher made us to far more challenging work than anything I ever did at this school. And contacting teachers is a nightmare. Blackboard is a really helpful tool when it comes to grades/assignments/e-mailing your teachers, but only 3 out of my 9 teachers used it.

My only real rave about the school is how helpful career services and the study abroad offices are. They'll bend over backwards to help you, which I really appreciated. But not enough to keep me. I'm starting at a school in New York in the fall, and while sure, I'll be living at home, I can honestly say that I will never take the subway or a good slice of pizza for granted ever again.Overall, if you've grown up in a suburb and are comfortable with that lifestyle, and are very outgoing, I'm sure you'll enjoy PhilaU just fine.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
University Resource Use: A, Innovation: F
Apr 14 2010Art & Design Department
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
If you're interested in studying fashion. Seriously look at the FIM-Fashion Industry Management major. It has the best of both worlds, design and business. No one told me about it and its too late now to switch into it--but I would have definitely chosen it. You get to pick and choose the fashion design courses that work best with your career goals while also learning the important things about the business, merchandising, and management side of fashion.

Other than that. I do believe that the education is decent here. I like the campus.. housing is horrible. I haven't had one pleasant experience living in 3 of the types of on campus housing available. Parking is also a huge problem on this campus. Be prepared to deal with a ton of stink bugs and they do nothing to prevent it. There have been a select few professors that I would actually keep in contact with past graduation. I few that I feel really went above and beyond for me. But then there are the professors who still after weeks in the class still can't remember my name! But that I think is an issue at any school. For the price of tuition, room and board and food. I'd have to say I would not recommend this university. It costs too much to feel unsatisfied and unprepared. Especially if you are not a design major. They do have a good design program but it needs to be modernized.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Friendliness: A-, Useful Schoolwork: F
Feb 14 2010Architecture
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
Undoubtedly, these students will gain an expert level of knowledge & understanding of the fine arts & the philosophical concepts of them. Through vigorous course work forcing many sleepless nights and skipped meals, this program uses a "hands on" approach for students to learn from. Students teach themselves in design class, & professors are paid to merely confuse the students. Actual design lessons are not taught until the 4th year after most students have been forced to leave.

Fundamental functional tasks that all architects must posses, such as dimensioning a basic floor plan in a set of working drawings or coordinating grade heights with site drawings, are unknown at the time of graduation. The ability to form & retain crucial business relationships with engineers, construction managers, real estate developers, and lawyers, cannot be learned through cutting & gluing bass wood & corrugated cardboard all night long.This program is to be meant to prepare students for a true PROFESSION. In its own way, it should compare to medical school & law school.

5th Year Male -- Class 2007