StudentsReview :: Philadelphia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Philadelphia University

i attended philaU for 3 years then i

Jan 14 2010Business - Management and Administration
i attended philaU for 3 years then i finally transferred out in the spring of 09. i left because like everyone has said previously its HARD to make friends. i am an outgoing person and like to have tons of friends but thats not the case at P.U. everyone forms cliques at start or come to PU together from high school. the girls are all stuck up and daddy's little girls. and the guys...what guys?!?! there are NONE! (unless if your gay then there are).

since ih ave transferred to SC i have been trying to get intouch with the registrars office about my transcript....NO ONE responds! if they do its at least a week later...as for when i was corresponding with my school here...it was the same day! all in all this school sucked! i lived in fortess (all girl dorm...the worse place eer!!! and IP). so glad i got out of there when i did. DO NOT GO HERE!!!!!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2006

After speaking with a Philadelphia University alum

Jan 19 2010Other
After speaking with a Philadelphia University alum and a current student in the Fashion Merchandising program, I expected this school to be friendly, helpful, challenging, and fun. While the professors are helpful, none of the others are true. As previously stated other students find their friends within the first few days (and even sometimes before classes start ie. sports, high school friends) and if you are not there when they "connect", you will not be a part of that friendship.

As for cleanliness of the dorms, I am truly shocked as to how disgusting my dorm is. I constantly have bugs in my room, the bathroom, and laundry room. Without a doubt, there is an infestation in my dorm and after contacting Physical Plant, they still don't come to fix the problem. And my one choice for living arrangements next year has mice.

Another major downside is campus life. While there are three clubs on campus that are fun and exciting, the weekends and nights are dull and boring. For the first two weekends I decided to stay in and after noticing that nearly everyone in my dorm goes home, due to the lack of nightlife, I did the same and continue to go home every weekend.

The only major upside to Philadelphia University is Career Services. They were marvelous in helping me with my first resume for an internship. They were helpful, kind, and gave great advice. I am transferring out next year because this school is such a disappointment. The only thing I will miss is Career Services. As someone previously mentioned, some adore the school and some hate it. I suggest that if anyone is seriously considering Philadelphia University, shadow a student and stay overnight! This is the only way you can get an idea of what life here is really like.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A-, Social Life: D-

I originally entered PhilaU as a fashion merchandising

Jan 14 2010Psychology
I originally entered PhilaU as a fashion merchandising major and stayed in that major for all of my freshman year. Sophomore year, I switched to psychology and am much happier with it. Both are good majors, I just like the subject of psychology better. I have friends who are design majors, and they really have no life. They spend all of their time doing projects, so if you are thinking of coming to PhilaU as a design student, be prepared for that. In the majors I have been in, there has not been an incredible amount of work. There was definitely enough to take up most of my time but not nearly as much as the design students. Here are what I found to be some of the positives and negatives.

Positives:
-Campus is beautiful (one of the deciding factors in why I came here)
-Most teachers are very helpful if you ask for help or if you don't understand something
-I have always felt safe on campus
-To get into Center City, you can either take the train, which is fairly close to campus(costs $4), or take the bus (which is on campus and $2)

-There are a decent amount of options of what to eat (a place with a deli and grill and salad bar, a convience store/place to get "fast food" like pizza or nachos, and a cafeteria)

-The gym is pretty nice (They have a decent amount of treadmills, ellipticals, bikes, stairsteppers, plus free weights and machines)

-This school gives ALOT of financial aid (I did really well in high school and got over $10,000 each year in a scholarship as long as I keep my grades up)

Negatives:
-Most of the food does not have much flavor and many of the students believe laxatives are put in
-The only place open after 7:30 at night is the "fast food" place, so if you want to get a healthy meal, your choices will be limited to a few salads and a few wraps

-The school is far enough from Center City that you could easily go broke trying to party at Temple or Drexel (none of the parties here are worth it, unless you like standing around trying to fight for access to a keg in a basement)

-Many people leave on weekends
-The school does have some events on the weekends, but not many people go to it
-It's not especially easy to make great friends (most people form cliques from the first day and stick with them)

-There are very few guys (maybe 15%-20%)I ultimately decided to transfer after this semester because I can get cheaper instate tuition at a school in Georgia (that's where my family is) and because I wanted to be in a bigger school that's more in the city. If I had to make the choice of enrolling in this school again after having attended, I wouldn't, but if you like a smaller school with a beautiful campus where the teachers are pretty helpful, this may be your school

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012