StudentsReview :: Philadelphia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Philadelphia University

If you're interested in studying fashion.Not so brightArt & Design Department
If you're interested in studying fashion. Seriously look at the FIM-Fashion Industry Management major. It has the best of both worlds, design and business. No one told me about it and its too late now to switch into it--but I would have definitely chosen it. You get to pick and choose the fashion design courses that work best with your career goals while also learning the important things about the business, merchandising, and management side of fashion.

Other than that. I do believe that the education is decent here. I like the campus.. housing is horrible. I haven't had one pleasant experience living in 3 of the types of on campus housing available. Parking is also a huge problem on this campus. Be prepared to deal with a ton of stink bugs and they do nothing to prevent it. There have been a select few professors that I would actually keep in contact with past graduation. I few that I feel really went above and beyond for me. But then there are the professors who still after weeks in the class still can't remember my name! But that I think is an issue at any school. For the price of tuition, room and board and food. I'd have to say I would not recommend this university. It costs too much to feel unsatisfied and unprepared. Especially if you are not a design major. They do have a good design program but it needs to be modernized.

3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Friendliness: A-, Useful Schoolwork: F
Undoubtedly, these students will gain an expert levelBrightArchitecture
Undoubtedly, these students will gain an expert level of knowledge & understanding of the fine arts & the philosophical concepts of them. Through vigorous course work forcing many sleepless nights and skipped meals, this program uses a "hands on" approach for students to learn from. Students teach themselves in design class, & professors are paid to merely confuse the students. Actual design lessons are not taught until the 4th year after most students have been forced to leave.

Fundamental functional tasks that all architects must posses, such as dimensioning a basic floor plan in a set of working drawings or coordinating grade heights with site drawings, are unknown at the time of graduation. The ability to form & retain crucial business relationships with engineers, construction managers, real estate developers, and lawyers, cannot be learned through cutting & gluing bass wood & corrugated cardboard all night long.This program is to be meant to prepare students for a true PROFESSION. In its own way, it should compare to medical school & law school.

5th Year Male -- Class 2007
Innovation: A-, Friendliness: C-
After speaking with a Philadelphia University alumBrightOther
After speaking with a Philadelphia University alum and a current student in the Fashion Merchandising program, I expected this school to be friendly, helpful, challenging, and fun. While the professors are helpful, none of the others are true. As previously stated other students find their friends within the first few days (and even sometimes before classes start ie. sports, high school friends) and if you are not there when they "connect", you will not be a part of that friendship.

As for cleanliness of the dorms, I am truly shocked as to how disgusting my dorm is. I constantly have bugs in my room, the bathroom, and laundry room. Without a doubt, there is an infestation in my dorm and after contacting Physical Plant, they still don't come to fix the problem. And my one choice for living arrangements next year has mice.

Another major downside is campus life. While there are three clubs on campus that are fun and exciting, the weekends and nights are dull and boring. For the first two weekends I decided to stay in and after noticing that nearly everyone in my dorm goes home, due to the lack of nightlife, I did the same and continue to go home every weekend.

The only major upside to Philadelphia University is Career Services. They were marvelous in helping me with my first resume for an internship. They were helpful, kind, and gave great advice. I am transferring out next year because this school is such a disappointment. The only thing I will miss is Career Services. As someone previously mentioned, some adore the school and some hate it. I suggest that if anyone is seriously considering Philadelphia University, shadow a student and stay overnight! This is the only way you can get an idea of what life here is really like.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013