StudentsReview :: Philadelphia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Philadelphia University

Prior to coming to Philadelphia University, I attended

Nov 02 2009Architecture
Prior to coming to Philadelphia University, I attended one of the top five high schools in the country, according to average AP scores. I was lured to the beautiful campus because of my interests in architecture and fashion design. The architecture program also offers MBAs for those who wish to undergo the five-year program.

However, problems already surfaced beginning my first week on campus. I knew that I was far from Center City, but I underestimated the distance from restaurants, convenience stores, and arts supply stores. If you are a student who will not have access to a car (and refuse to shop at the one convenience store with past expiration dates), perhaps diversify your college choices. Simultaneously, we were close to the mayor's house, and the neighborhood is quite stunning.

I came to Philadelphia prepared to be challenged socially, mentally, and intellectually. I know, I know...college is never as rife with debates as movies depict, but there was no action whatsoever. My classmates seemed clueless about the goings on of current events, even involving architecture. We went on some filled trips, but the discussions were fruitless. Living in a city like Philadelphia, I expected that my professors would have expanding social networks and utilize them for the sake of their students. Needless to say, I did not become culturally aware until I transferred.

I am currently at an Ivy League university learning five times as much than I ever did at a fraction of the price. I also have more access to resources than I ever did before...if you want to settle for second best, go to PhilaU.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C-

I will start off by saying I never

Oct 28 2009Interior Design
I will start off by saying I never wanted to go to PhilaU to begin with. My mom made me go to an open house and I unexpectedly started to like the campus more and more. Eventually, it was the only school I wanted to go to. When it came time for START (which was incredibly lame), I began to get more excited.

Dorm Life:
I have three roommates and our dorm is amazing.I live in Fortess (the all girls dorm which honestly is not bad at all contrary to what rumors say). For a college dorm, mine is huge, all of our beds are lofted and we have an enormous open space in the middle. The bathrooms are a clean, but old and there are a lot of showers so you never have to wait. Ronson, is the hall with the only AC, but the dorms are tiny and gloomy. Partridge, Mott and Fortess are part of the Mansion halls and have events held together.

Food: Not bad at all. Its a hell of a lot better than other colleges and there's a decent variety.

Homework: If you're a design major, prepare to do work... all the time. It's really time consuming, but you get into it after the first two projects. Regular classes such as environmental science and math, the work load is nothing unmanageable.

Social Life: Besides the occasional show or event at the Kanbar Center, or events hosted by the RA's of the halls there isn't much to do. The campus is dead at nights and weekends. I have friends at Temple University and Drexel, so go there if you want to go to parties or do something fun. Manayunk is not too far away and they have shops and good restaurants there.The campus in general is really nice and the staff work hard to keep it looking clean and presentable.

1st Year Female -- Class 2009
Education Quality: A, Social Life: C-

Let me start out by saying Philly U

May 14 2009Interior Design
Let me start out by saying Philly U is a typical small school, go there if you truly know what you want to major in.. because there aren't many other options. Its not very diverse (population-wise and major-wise), so if diversity is important to you, its not a good choice. If you are in any design major, the atmosphere is WORK, and your professors pretty much expect you to dedicate your life to it.

That being said, most of the school is composed of design majors, therefore its not a huge party school being that no one has time for such things. There are parties, but there's usually maybe one sometimes two on a friday or saturday night (occasionally thursdays)... if there is time for partying most will travel to temple, univeristy city, or old city, which would mean the train there and taxi back (it all adds up). If this is a huge negative to you, then philly u is not your school. If you are motivated by challenges and lots of work, its a great school because there are no distractions. Also, most students are very motivated and hard working (in all majors), so it is a competitive atmosphere. All in all, as far as a social life, students do not experience "typical college life". Truthfully, as in any universities, the key to fun at philadelphia University is having close friends..

Academically speaking, Philadelphia University is alright. My experience was as an Interior Design major, which I loved. However, be prepared for aLOT of work, a LOT of money spent on supplies, and harsh crits. The atmosphere is competitive, as said before. My personal experience with the design department (which caused me to actually transfer out) were bad design teachers. Some may form biases, grade you on their opinions, so on and so forth... so just be prepared for some unfair grades during your years at Philly U.

The university is not diverse, it is full of a lot of "rich snobby" kids. I hate labeling, but be prepared for them at Philly U. There are a lot of down to earth people though, and really artistic individuals, and guys who attend the university because its 75% girls. If you can't get along with any of these types previously mentioned, i'll put it simply, it will probably suck. The school is tiny for a college, so you pretty much know everyone and everyone knows you. After the first month in freshman year, you will have probably met and seen everyone in your year/ the entire school.

The campus is beautiful, it is what attracts most to the school. However, it is dead on weekends, and on weekdays after 8. The only place to hang out is Kanbar, which gets crowded, and the library needs more computers. For most of the year design studios are only open until 12, and beleive me design students need it 24/7. The area is cute, especially Manayunk, but it's not really walking distance... it is possible but not many actually walk there. There aren't any very dangerous areas immediate to the campus, but take like a five minute drive to Germantown, and you'll hit it. Though, it is still Philadelphia, so be cautious even on campus. The train station is close by, four dollars to temple/center city.. and the bus stop is on campus.

As far as extracurriculars go, there aren't many. Sports are division three (i think lol) and people at the university arent really into all the sports hype. There isn't a football team either. There aren't that many clubs for interests outside of the majors offered at the school. So if you are anything like myself, if you have any interests outside of your majors there aren't really any options for an outlet. Philly U is a great school for some, and not for others. Academically speaking, it is challenging, and students learn a lot, which is pretty awesome. The school is pretty unique, its a small school, small classes, personal attention, basically what you see in the brochures. Social life is not everything, and well, we all go to school for education right? keep that in mind if you go here, cause it's something you'll need to remind yourself constantly.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011