StudentsReview :: Philadelphia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Philadelphia University

Philadelphia University is such a great and challengingSuper BrilliantArt & Design Department
Philadelphia University is such a great and challenging school especially for design majors. My first year here along with all the other design students we have spent many all nighters in the lounge, which I have to say were very stressing but fun at the same time. You get assigned a new project every week. Sometimes the critiques can be harsh, but this pushes you to do better. When it comes to finals week it is hell! The workload is not easy many students end up dropping their major from design to mostly science or business, the only ones that survive are the ones who are passionate and dedicated to their major.

I personally believe Philadelphia University should be more well known. The design professors are all intelligent and bright always willing to help their students. The students as well are creative with so much passion for their major graduating with successful careers. I wish Philadelphia University would be more strict on their acceptance but PhilaU gives every student an opportunity to pursue their dream. This is why some students here are not as bright or just dont give a crap about school, but these students end up dropping out or transferring. As the years go on PhilaU gets so much better and very competitive cause you are left with students who care about their major. Since Philadelphia University is a small private school there are many people who either hate it or love it. It is not a party school at all! If you really have a desire to work your ass off and challenge yourself to succeed in the future than PhilaU is the right school for you. But if you want to come to college just to party and a waste a crapload of your parents money then PhilaU is not the right school for you.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Social Life: A-
First off, let me start by saying thatBrightArt & Design Department
First off, let me start by saying that everyone in this school is either snobby, wealthy or annoying.People love to flaunt their money here, which is great considering I'm poor, my father is unemployed, my mother is a dish washer and she's forcing me to take the 5 dollar bus back home, 12 hours away. I'm generally a friendly person, but it's almost impossible to meet people here. Everyone makes there friends the first day, and then that's it. You'll never make another friend after this..... The parties? What the hell are they? We had better high school parties. The upperclassmen stick you in a nasty basement with a couple of kegs, and let you fight it out among your classmates like wild animals for a red cup (a five dollar red cup, that is)just to get some flat, warm natty ice. Getting some flat, warm natty ice is actually a blessing, because there's barely even parties here, so this is saying a lot. If you have friends at temple or Drexel, see yourself as lucky. Like i said, i live a damn long bus ride away, so i'm stuck here on this campus 247, forced to deal with this people. The only good thing about being stuck here is that the campus is pretty. But if it's past 9 o'clock, the campus isn't only pretty, it's pretty dead. I live in Ronson, the only view I get is of the smokers bench and if I'm lucky, I get to watch the fortunate drunk kids that partied at another school because they have friends stumble in. Jealous. The food here.... Makes you sick. Laxatives anyone? I'm just being bitter. Listen, if you're easy, slightly attractive, and team up with the other easy girls you'll probably like this school. Make sure you don't have any brains,this is usually what will help you get attention by the 20% straight guys here. And by the way, they only came to this school because they saw the girl to guy ratio. :) Hope my review was helpful.
1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Campus Aesthetics: A+, Education Quality: F
Prior to coming to Philadelphia University, I attendedAverageArchitecture
Prior to coming to Philadelphia University, I attended one of the top five high schools in the country, according to average AP scores. I was lured to the beautiful campus because of my interests in architecture and fashion design. The architecture program also offers MBAs for those who wish to undergo the five-year program.

However, problems already surfaced beginning my first week on campus. I knew that I was far from Center City, but I underestimated the distance from restaurants, convenience stores, and arts supply stores. If you are a student who will not have access to a car (and refuse to shop at the one convenience store with past expiration dates), perhaps diversify your college choices. Simultaneously, we were close to the mayor's house, and the neighborhood is quite stunning.

I came to Philadelphia prepared to be challenged socially, mentally, and intellectually. I know, I is never as rife with debates as movies depict, but there was no action whatsoever. My classmates seemed clueless about the goings on of current events, even involving architecture. We went on some filled trips, but the discussions were fruitless. Living in a city like Philadelphia, I expected that my professors would have expanding social networks and utilize them for the sake of their students. Needless to say, I did not become culturally aware until I transferred.

I am currently at an Ivy League university learning five times as much than I ever did at a fraction of the price. I also have more access to resources than I ever did before...if you want to settle for second best, go to PhilaU.

1st Year Female -- Class 2011