StudentsReview ™ :: Philadelphia University - Comments and Student Experiences

Hofstra University -- Hempstead, NY
Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Philadelphia University

Jun 07 2011Architecture
The critiques were woefully negative and result in many good students leaving the university. This is not worth the hassle, especially since there are very few jobs in the real world.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2014
Surrounding City: A-, Education Quality: F

I'll be honest, I think my high school

Jul 27 2010Art & Design Department
I'll be honest, I think my high school senior year self is an idiot for deciding to accept a place at PhilaU. My first choice school was FIT, but I got waitlisted. And not an hour after I got my waitlist letter, who else calls me but a PU admissions guy asking if I would be attending in the fall. Vulnerable, sad, and teary, I told him I would be there in August. I tried to look on the bright side and told myself it was a gorgeous campus (which it is), smaller class sizes would be better, living in a dorm is a good experience, and living in a new city would be fun. Yeah right.

Like many people have said before, making friends is difficult, which is saying something given that it's a slow ~relaxed~ place. And on top of that, being a New York City girl through and through, I just couldn't relate to the 98% suburban people there. I never played sports in high school, I don't drive, I don't rely on the radio as my source of radio, and I wouldn't be caught dead in a North Face jacket, Uggs, and a Vera Bradley bag. And Philadelphia itself is a joke. Getting into the city is timely (unless you have the patience and spare money to get the hourly train), it's tiny by comparison, and things start to close as early as 6pm (6!!). And don't even get me started on the campus social scene itself. I had more fun in the first 10 minutes of visiting a friend at Brown than I had in two months at PU, a red flag that got me to thinking of transferring.

Academics were hardly anything to write home about either. I was expecting to be challenged, but once again, PU was a letdown. A 60 is passing and you need to maintain a 2.5 GPA to keep your scholarship (which all bashing aside, was a pretty healthy amount of aid). Come on, give me something to strive for! My high school English teacher made us to far more challenging work than anything I ever did at this school. And contacting teachers is a nightmare. Blackboard is a really helpful tool when it comes to grades/assignments/e-mailing your teachers, but only 3 out of my 9 teachers used it.

My only real rave about the school is how helpful career services and the study abroad offices are. They'll bend over backwards to help you, which I really appreciated. But not enough to keep me. I'm starting at a school in New York in the fall, and while sure, I'll be living at home, I can honestly say that I will never take the subway or a good slice of pizza for granted ever again.Overall, if you've grown up in a suburb and are comfortable with that lifestyle, and are very outgoing, I'm sure you'll enjoy PhilaU just fine.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
University Resource Use: A, Innovation: F

After speaking with a Philadelphia University alum

Jan 19 2010Other
After speaking with a Philadelphia University alum and a current student in the Fashion Merchandising program, I expected this school to be friendly, helpful, challenging, and fun. While the professors are helpful, none of the others are true. As previously stated other students find their friends within the first few days (and even sometimes before classes start ie. sports, high school friends) and if you are not there when they "connect", you will not be a part of that friendship.

As for cleanliness of the dorms, I am truly shocked as to how disgusting my dorm is. I constantly have bugs in my room, the bathroom, and laundry room. Without a doubt, there is an infestation in my dorm and after contacting Physical Plant, they still don't come to fix the problem. And my one choice for living arrangements next year has mice.

Another major downside is campus life. While there are three clubs on campus that are fun and exciting, the weekends and nights are dull and boring. For the first two weekends I decided to stay in and after noticing that nearly everyone in my dorm goes home, due to the lack of nightlife, I did the same and continue to go home every weekend.

The only major upside to Philadelphia University is Career Services. They were marvelous in helping me with my first resume for an internship. They were helpful, kind, and gave great advice. I am transferring out next year because this school is such a disappointment. The only thing I will miss is Career Services. As someone previously mentioned, some adore the school and some hate it. I suggest that if anyone is seriously considering Philadelphia University, shadow a student and stay overnight! This is the only way you can get an idea of what life here is really like.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013