StudentsReview :: Pennsylvania State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Pennsylvania State University

I believe that all reviews contain a certainQuite BrightEngineering Department
I believe that all reviews contain a certain bias. If students have positive experiences then they render favorable reviews. On the other hand, students reflect their negative experiences in their reviews. It is important to remember that the truth often lies somewhere in the middle. There is no one 'right' school for any student, and your college experience is what YOU make of it!

Having stated that I have only positive things to say about Penn State. I believe that I received an excellent education, and as a Schreyer Honors College scholar, I had many learning opportunities both inside and outside the classroom. I know that PSU has a party school rep, although I think that the same reputation could be hung on almost any school, with the exception of some small Christian colleges and BYU! If you want to party, then come to Penn State. However, if you want to work hard and learn in a world class educational environment, then come to Penn State! I had to maintain a higher GPA at PSU to remain in the SHC than any of my friends in their honors programs at other universities. I also had a graduation thesis requirement to satisfy. All those reviewers who comment on the poor work ethic of Penn State students might be reflecting on their own lack of effort, and perhaps that is why they were unsuccessful. Also, it amazes me that some students complain about the lack of diversity. What do they expect to find in a small college town in the middle of Pennsylvania? Seriously, if you want tons of diversity then choose a inner city college or university. Penn State attracts students from all over the world, but the majority of students come from the mid-Atlantic area, so the student body is only slightly diverse. However, there are clubs and organizations for many different groups of students. As with any school you will need to get involved, join organizations with like-minded people and you will find your peer group.

I had some really good professors and some not so good ones, but, again, I think this would be the same at any university. Penn State is a big school environment so choose to go elsewhere if you are not a self-starter, and still need some high school type hand-holding. Freshman year lecture classes seat hundreds of students, but if you sit in the front row then who cares how many others are in the same room seated behind you? I made some good friends, did some partying, went to some exciting sporting events (not just football), graduated in four years, landed a good job in my career field, and have some wonderful college memories. That's what it's all about! I would definitely choose Penn State all over again.

Preparedness: B+ Reputation: A+
STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS UNIVERSITY ASChemical Engineering
STAY AS FAR AWAY FROM THIS UNIVERSITY AS POSSIBLE! It is by far the worst school ever! The professors are arrogant and don't give two shits about their students they have no time in the day to stop and answer your questions. There is no campus life, the parties suck! There is nothing to do there the campus is in the middle of nowhere and people in general from the students, to faculty, to the administration staff are all arrogant and are just plain FUCKERS! DO NOT GO HERE I will guarantee you that you'll want to transfer after your first semester there.
DON'T ATTEND THIS SCHOOL! I went to theAnthropology
DON'T ATTEND THIS SCHOOL! I went to the University Park campus, and then transferred to the online World Campus. Both were terrible. This school's biggest sell is partying, and football. They are closed-minded, and NOT at all kind to minorities, and they're homophobes. I actually received an email from the University's President after an incident in October 2013. White students (unapologetically) wore "blackface" and KKK costumes for Halloween (see link below). This upset many minority students, and the school's only response was an email. Asians are openly made fun of, and forget it if you're gay or lesbian. Please, please, please stay away from this school! Especially if you're a woman who does not enjoy the prospect of being date raped, and no one caring after you report the rapist.

You will be disappointed, and waste your parents money. The financial aid packages are nonexistent. The teachers are dunces, and their English is poor. The teachers' born in America are even worse. Typos by the ton. The World Campus courses are excessively outdated in some areas. For example, my Biology teacher constantly had to change the grades on the weekly quizzes because the answers did not pertain to the newer edition of the assigned materials. Also, many links to the assignments we had to complete were dead, so she had to update it as we went along. Admittedly, this was one of the better professors, kind of.

The administration are f**k ups, and I had three different academic counselors in the time I attended Penn State. There is nothing to do but drink, party, and watch football games. There are a ton of clubs, but who cares, since no one actually participates. This school is all show, and nothing about it is worthwhile. I ended up applying to another college after I got fed up with the atmosphere. I will be attending Columbia University come Spring. I am more than happy to pay the extra money, and the financial aid is better, including scholarship opportunities. To summarize my opinion of Pedo State University...STAY FAR AWAY!!!

Post Gazette article on racist Halloween costumes at PSU (Oct. 2013):http://old.post-gazette.com/localnews/20031206psublack1206p7.asp

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→