StudentsReview :: Pennsylvania State University - Comments and Student Experiences

Pennsylvania State University

I see a lot of good things aboutPsychology
I see a lot of good things about Penn State posted on the internet. Had I read them better I would not feel as I do now, that these were posted by teachers themselves! I KNOW I am sharper tool in the shed. The classes are crap, especially Stat 200 with Wrobel or Hayford. Wrobel didn't want to help at all, and I had to report Hayford before he would assist. The fact I had to take a math test twice says it all. This from a person who passed Economics in high school. The classes are MADE to be harder than they have to be. All you end up with is confusion, and a crappy GPA. If I can find a school that will take me at this point I'm gone.
To ANYONE who has/is having any doubts whenBrightPublic Health
To ANYONE who has/is having any doubts when considering going to Penn State or is having a hard time there now PLEASE read this.

I had wanted to go to Penn State Main my entire life so when I was accepted there was no way in the world that I would go anywhere else. I also came from a high school with a graduating class of 48 or 49 people. Obviously you can expect that going to Penn State from where I had gone to high school was a complete and total change for me. To summarize,I transferred after my freshmen year because I was not sure if Penn State was the right place for me. Many other factors including parents doubt about the size of PSU played a role. Yes, I had a 3.71 GPA after my freshmen year so NO i was not asked to leave I decided to leave myself.

I transferred to a much smaller catholic big 5 school in Philadelphia. It was the WORST semester of my life. School was horrible. I realized that leaving Penn State was a very bad decision and one that I regretted a ton. I didn't realize that Penn State was not as bad as I had made it out to be.

After one semester gone, I returned in the spring of 2012 without hesitation. I could not be happier that I returned to Penn State. I know this is where I will be the happiest 100% Here's why:

Freshmen year I did not get involved much at all and this is one reason why I was unhappy. I URGE you to get involved. I am now and I am so much happier. There is something for everyone but I would strongly recommend getting involved EARLY and with THON. I did this year for THON 2013 and it was a life-changing decision. I met 30+ new people and know for a fact that most of us will remain friends even though THON 2013 is over.

The teachers at Penn State are also some of the most caring and helpful professors out there. They are always willing to help. At my other school, the teachers could care less about their students. If I want help, I have never felt afraid to ask teachers for help. If you make the effort, you will not be a # at Penn State. And yes, there are a FEW professors at Penn State who are bad professors just like every other school in the country.

No other place in the world has the sense of pride and unity that Penn State does. I realized this especially when I left for a semester. Penn State football games have been the best times of my life.

Just because some people drink a lot does not mean everyone does. I know lots of people who care very much about their work. Obviously that depends on your major but there are tons of people who care deeply about doing well in school. 99.9% of the population will not pressure you into drinking. You do not have to come to Penn State being a professional drinker.I guess what I'm trying to say is drinking will occur at most large public universities regardless.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A+, University Resource Use: F
Smeal business school is an excellent program withBrightBusiness - Management and Administration
Smeal business school is an excellent program with plenty of opportunities to network through alumni and student organizations. The career opportunities and recruiting is superb for entry-level corporate jobs. About the social scene, most kids are from PA, either suburban Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. As a freshman guy, getting into parties is pretty hard unless you're in a frat. Girls are fine. The experience is what you make of it. I love the friends I've made, and wouldn't trade my experience for the world. I'm transferring, but Penn State is a great place.
1st Year Female -- Class 2015