StudentsReview ™ :: Saint Francis University - Comments and Student Experiences

Saint Mary's College of California -- Moraga, CA

Saint Francis University

I think Saint Francis gets a bad rep

Mar 21 2014PreMed and Medical
I think Saint Francis gets a bad rep. A lot of the people on here are going out of their way to rant because they are clearly bitter about something. Yes, the school is strict with alcohol policy if you're underage but there is obviously ways around that. I don't understand how people can go to college and not have fun. People enrolling at SFU should not expect a huge party scene, this isn't IUP or Penn State. But there is always something to do, all you have to do is MAKE FRIENDS. I have had the best times of my life at Saint Francis. If you get involved with the campus, whether its athletics, Greek life, or other campus organizations, you will have such a better experience than sitting around alone being miserable and complaining. Loretto is a small rural town. It is very clear to a prospective student that it's not a big city with a lot to do. If thats what you want but you still come here, of course you will be unhappy. We just have to drive 10 minutes to go to Walmart or out to eat or 30 minutes to Altoona where theres more to do. You have to pick and choose whats important. If youre not happy, then maybe you didnt choose right for your own personal preferences. As for academics, SFU is challenging but definitely worth while. Health sciences are huge here which makes it nice because theres always plenty of people to ask for help/old books. Yes,its expensive and there are some ridiculous policies but there has to be some type of guidance. I think college is what you make of it, so if you are willing to work hard,study,make friends and find places to go have fun you will not regret choosing SFU. I'd do it all again here in a heartbeat!
3rd Year Female -- Class 2015
Scholastic Success: A+, Surrounding City: C

I majored in accounting

Jan 15 2014Accounting
I majored in accounting. The business faculty at Saint Francis gave me no guidance or assistance in attaining my goals (although most of my professors in the liberal arts and sciences were quite good). Frankly, I do not understand why so many alumni rave about a business degree from this school! In fact, my experience at Saint Francis "turned me off" to a career in accounting. In my view, my subsequent academic success (a second bachelor's, a master's, and a law degree), and my professional achievements, have been in spite of, and not due to, the business education that I received at Saint Francis.
Starting Job: Attorney Preparedness: F Reputation: F

I was debating between this school, and then

Nov 17 2013Engineering Department
I was debating between this school, and then two other bigger public institutions. What possessed me to pick Saint Francis is beyond me, quite honestly. It feels like nothing is real up here. Clubs I am involved in are laughable and extremely unorganized. I do not feel like I am a part of something when I am here, moreso that I am going through the motions. My family always told me to wait it out, the first months would be the hardest and then it would get better. Honestly, if anything, it has gotten worse. I am not a drinker, but there is still absolutely nothing to do here. I don't have a car on campus and I'm not an athlete, so there is nothing for me to do on weekends. It's usually dead here on the weekends anyway--a lot of people go home. I thought I would give Saint Francis a try, but honestly it's like living in the prison next door, maybe with better food--but not after 11PM.
University Resource Use: A, Social Life: F