StudentsReview :: Fortis Institute Erie - Comments and Student Experiences

Fortis Institute Erie

I was promised a high placement rate from

Jul 16 2014Computer Science
I was promised a high placement rate from their recruiter but their placement office never gave me as much as a lead. My GPA was 3.85, with one C, two Bs and the rest As. I have spoken with other TSBI alumni and their stories are all the same, all kinds of promises from recruiters but then nothing but student loan debt. I find it hard to believe that nobody has started some kind of class action lawsuit against them. Maybe it's about time someone did.
Preparedness: F Reputation: D
Jul 08 2014Computer Science
I graduated at Fortis in May of 2014. It was one of the worst experiences I have ever had. 1st, the school has had 4 different Presidents and now Peter (the current President at Fortis) who walks around flirting with woman and wearing what appears to be a crocodile dun-dee hat. 2nd, the teachers have a "i dont give a shit attitude" because they all lost their health insurance, and those are the 30% that stayed after that happened. 3rd, the course work is so each, you couldn't fail if you bombed every test, the grading system is so corrupted as long as you show up you can pass. 4th, FORTIS CALLED ME once a week while I was enrolled in this school attempting to get me to re-enroll and get friends and family to go there! Ya.. not a chance. The school's computers unless in the networking field, are approx: 10 years old and half of them do not work. The teachers are constantly fighting with one another, the students come high as a kite to school, and you only cover about 30% of these books you buy for $200 a piece that are listed for $50 on the back. OH thats right, you cant "pay for them yourself" either, you have to pay that no matter what. This school sucks, I wish I would have un-enrolled, but I will be going back to school all over again.

I'm greatly disappointed in this school

Feb 24 2014Business - Management and Administration
I'm greatly disappointed in this school. Most of the classes are run at or below a high school level; they are not challenging at all. Most of the teachers I've had have little real work experience in their field and teach word for word from the books (where they can.) Many teachers are unhappy here - expecially after the Fortis coorporation made many teachers go part time. The facility is vastly understaffed except in the Admissions and Financial Aid department - where they enroll students and acquire the student's money. Student services is virtually non-existent. The facility is outdated and poorly kept. There is heavy turnover in the Administration and with faculty, so a program's curricula and a student's advisement is choppy at best. I've spoken with many graduates from this school and they are struggling to find work and loaded with debt - and don't consider the time and investment that they've made with Fortis worth it. Since I enrolled here out of high school, I wish I had followed my guidance counselors and teachers recommendations of looking at "real" colleges and not at Fortis Institute. Yes - they did tell me NOT to go to Fortis Institute. I wish I had followed their recommendations. The school is in the middle of a distant rural area and is difficult to get to unless you have your own transportation. Strangely, even though it is far away from the city, it has a big problem with theft and drugs in the school. It is not a safe campus.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016