StudentsReview :: The University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

Before I begin my review, I first toNot so brightMath
Before I begin my review, I first to let the reader know that the academics are amazing. Whatever you choose to pursue, you will have prospects. The professors, well some, are friendly, and are more than ready to help you and want to. The professors, the academics, all of that school stuff is amazing and you will learn what you NEED to know and if you just focus on schoolwork and working on time management, then you are fine.

Now, for the students....I have never met the most ignorant, close-minded, snooty, arrogant group of people in my entire life. People here, especially if you are transfer, are not going to give you the time of day. I have met some friends who are cool, smart and open-minded to discussion. Some, on the other hand, are rude and full of themselves. I mean, I get this is the ivy league, but come on. What ever happen to being nice? It might be because I am a transfer and people already have made their friends and so there it is. It could really be that case since all of my friends are transfers. Moreover, people here are obsessed with their grades and their own little bubble. If you aren't part of that bubble, you DO NOT EXIST to them. Please note, that there is a bunch of people at this school and you will find a group of people that are nice and smart and cool to be around with. Most of them are down to earth people willing to work together for the sake of learning and meeting new people. Others are just here to move on with their legacy, make as much money as possible, and they do not care who gets in the way! You will hear about how people sabotage other people here for grades! It's crazy. Little to no down-to-earth people here at all. Also, if you aren't rich, forget about it. Again there is thousands of people here to meet, but I'm not going to go all around campus looking for cool people. The school keeps you busy. TLDR: Bunch of rich, snooty shallow brats and little to no down-to-earth, chill people. I'm here for two years so I don't give a f... but you know.I just care about the degree mostly.

Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I came to this school to work hard,Super BrilliantPolitical Science
I came to this school to work hard, and no one appreciates hard work, even the professors. It's all about how fast and brief you can write here. I read slow and methodically. If your not terribly interesting, your outcast. I didn't want to drink, which means no social life here. In brief, if your not social, don't come here.

I hated the Quad, people carelessly taking a dump on bathroom floors, smearing fecal matter on walls, the vomit in the hallway, and the food poisoning and rotten lettuce/food in Hill. I hated the showers that don't give you enough water pressure. I hate the contempt Penn employees in dining hold of Penn students every day, assuming students are all rich, entitled brats.

To get to an Ivy, I gave everything up in high school: family, friends, the idea of ever having a normal life and finding a spouse, wasting my time reading books that I have long forgotten. I have been unable to find friends because the classes are so time-consuming, (if you take these classes half-way seriously unlike a lot of students here that just kind of wing/skim as they do other stuff), that I have been unable to join extracurricular activities and make friends that way. If I could go somewhere else I would have, but I invested too much of my soul, suffered from too much stress on my heart to turn back from this hell. I tried to engage in research, but the never ending sea of just barely above average grades just made it all not worthwhile/interesting.It is damn near impossible to get an A in humanities/social science unless you get to know professors, which shouldn't be a prerequisite to an A. Students will smile to your face in science/math classes, but underneath the politeness are fierce competitors, baying at the sight of blood/weakness, who don't care about you. College is not the time to experiment outside your strengths academically. In my time here, I have known 4 Penn students who successfully committed suicide. If I could go back 7 or 8 years, I would tell myself to become a butcher or maybe find work at a gas station. No amount of money could be worth this. I can't comment on the relevance of this to other Ivies, although I am predisposed to think that these problems are uniquely Pennsylvanian. I had straight A's going back 7 years, 130's IQ, and I frequent Pottruck, so I am not just some schmuck that they let walk in the door. This can happen to you. Think twice before attending.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: B, Collaboration/Competitive: F
If you are even slightly introverted, don't likeQuite BrightPhysics
If you are even slightly introverted, don't like drinking, consider yourself primarily an intellectual, or aren't one of those Jewish/Asian kids who mostly interacts with his/her own kind, then you should probably avoid Penn. Social life is dominated by the greek system and alcohol. Some of my hallmates "go out" at least once or twice a week, and not because they particularly want to, but to keep up appearances. Although drinking isn't the only thing to do, it is the only mainstream activity. Everything else is going to be done with a small group of friends--if you are lucky enough to find such a group through extracurriculars.

The student body as a whole isn't quite what I had hoped. I won't generalize by putting an adjective to all ten thousand of us, but I will say that you may have a tough time finding grounded, humble, and mature classmates. And for an ivy-league institution, you may have a surprisingly tough time finding sharp students. By this I don't mean mindless hard workers who manage a 4.0; I mean quick-witted intellectuals, people who aren't afraid to think and discuss. Most intellectual discussions I've been a part of have been painful not only because other students are close-minded, but because they generally just don't care about why the gradient of a function points in the direction of greatest slope, or about why a particular economic model behaves the way it does, or about free-will and artificial intelligence.

I guess most of my discontent comes from Penn's pre-professional culture. If you want to keep your head down, do the work, get your diploma, and get paid, Penn is for you. But I am not that kind of student. I'm here primarily to discover the world and the universe and share that experience with my like-minded peers--peers who I have yet to find and fear that I never will.But enough about the students, I have better things to say about the rest of the university. For example my professors--never before have I been in an environment where any of my curiosities can be answered by merely asking. They love to help and are so accessible I find it hard to believe they have time to do anything else. One of my professors even holds office hours in his own home! And if that's not enough, the university has a program where you are allowed to take any of your professors out to lunch once per semester. The rest of the staff are wonderful as well; a few of the dining hall ladies even know me by name.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016