StudentsReview :: The University of Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

Bloomsburg University of Pennsylvania -- Bloomsburg, PA

The University of Pennsylvania

The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences isQuite BrightComputer Engineering
The School of Engineering and Applied Sciences is an absolute meat grinder. Most of the students form cliques and view other students as the enemy. First year classes were ok. Second year was stunningly difficult with bad instruction and lousy textbooks contributing to make is extremely time-consuming and difficult to learn the material to a high degree of proficiency. Junior and senior year when I specialized things were much easier. I also took courses in the College of Arts and Sciences (liberal arts). About half of the professors there will give a student a B and reserve an A for liberal arts students. That pissed me off a lot. And I took 5 classes in Wharton. The Wharton classes were incredibly easy compared to engineering classes. In fact I would say that engineering classes are 5x as difficult as Wharton classes.

Philadephia is a dangerous city. Very dangerous. I had some incidents which led to me confining myself to campus as much as possible. Even on campus, it was not safe. The local people (welfare people) would come to campus and commit crime. And the homeless problem in Philadelphia is unbelievable. The whole place smells like urine. Do not leave campus in groups of less than 6 males.

Job recruiting and career planning at Penn were half-arsed. You better have your own goal, direction and self-management. Do not expect the school to help.

This is a school that prides itself on graduating the leaders of business, finanance and industry. And it graduates some of them. But the other 90% of the students are ripped apart by the experience. I would say that more than half of the students suffer from depression but try to put a happy face on it, pretending that everything is great. The administration does not care because they are at Penn for a 3-5 year stint and then will move on to another university and a higher paying job.

Financial aid at Penn is modest to meager. Realistically, you need to be either poor or rich but not in between. The students from poor families got everything for free. And that was often a joke. Students from restaurant families simply reported no income on their taxes for a few years and got a free ride even though their families owned several rental properties through trusts. The financial burden on the middle class is crushing, with parents emptying 401(k)s and taking out private loans to cover school costs.

Wharton is a great place to get into the Wall Street scene. The College (liberal arts) is a waste. Engineering is great for those who already know the first 2 years of material, but not for a regular Joe. Then there is a diversity issue. Non-diverse students are constantly pummelled with propaganda which implies that they are somehow bad and must make up for it by making room for and supporting less-qualified and unqualified diverse students. When I went there, the diverse students had scant chance of graduating due to being cognitively underpowered for the task.

4th Year Male -- Class 1988
Useful Schoolwork: A-, Innovation: F
Before I begin my review, I first toNot so brightMath
Before I begin my review, I first to let the reader know that the academics are amazing. Whatever you choose to pursue, you will have prospects. The professors, well some, are friendly, and are more than ready to help you and want to. The professors, the academics, all of that school stuff is amazing and you will learn what you NEED to know and if you just focus on schoolwork and working on time management, then you are fine.

Now, for the students....I have never met the most ignorant, close-minded, snooty, arrogant group of people in my entire life. People here, especially if you are transfer, are not going to give you the time of day. I have met some friends who are cool, smart and open-minded to discussion. Some, on the other hand, are rude and full of themselves. I mean, I get this is the ivy league, but come on. What ever happen to being nice? It might be because I am a transfer and people already have made their friends and so there it is. It could really be that case since all of my friends are transfers. Moreover, people here are obsessed with their grades and their own little bubble. If you aren't part of that bubble, you DO NOT EXIST to them. Please note, that there is a bunch of people at this school and you will find a group of people that are nice and smart and cool to be around with. Most of them are down to earth people willing to work together for the sake of learning and meeting new people. Others are just here to move on with their legacy, make as much money as possible, and they do not care who gets in the way! You will hear about how people sabotage other people here for grades! It's crazy. Little to no down-to-earth people here at all. Also, if you aren't rich, forget about it. Again there is thousands of people here to meet, but I'm not going to go all around campus looking for cool people. The school keeps you busy. TLDR: Bunch of rich, snooty shallow brats and little to no down-to-earth, chill people. I'm here for two years so I don't give a f... but you know.I just care about the degree mostly.

Education Quality: A+, Collaboration/Competitive: F
I came to this school to work hard,Super BrilliantPolitical Science
I came to this school to work hard, and no one appreciates hard work, even the professors. It's all about how fast and brief you can write here. I read slow and methodically. If your not terribly interesting, your outcast. I didn't want to drink, which means no social life here. In brief, if your not social, don't come here.

I hated the Quad, people carelessly taking a dump on bathroom floors, smearing fecal matter on walls, the vomit in the hallway, and the food poisoning and rotten lettuce/food in Hill. I hated the showers that don't give you enough water pressure. I hate the contempt Penn employees in dining hold of Penn students every day, assuming students are all rich, entitled brats.

To get to an Ivy, I gave everything up in high school: family, friends, the idea of ever having a normal life and finding a spouse, wasting my time reading books that I have long forgotten. I have been unable to find friends because the classes are so time-consuming, (if you take these classes half-way seriously unlike a lot of students here that just kind of wing/skim as they do other stuff), that I have been unable to join extracurricular activities and make friends that way. If I could go somewhere else I would have, but I invested too much of my soul, suffered from too much stress on my heart to turn back from this hell. I tried to engage in research, but the never ending sea of just barely above average grades just made it all not worthwhile/interesting.It is damn near impossible to get an A in humanities/social science unless you get to know professors, which shouldn't be a prerequisite to an A. Students will smile to your face in science/math classes, but underneath the politeness are fierce competitors, baying at the sight of blood/weakness, who don't care about you. College is not the time to experiment outside your strengths academically. In my time here, I have known 4 Penn students who successfully committed suicide. If I could go back 7 or 8 years, I would tell myself to become a butcher or maybe find work at a gas station. No amount of money could be worth this. I can't comment on the relevance of this to other Ivies, although I am predisposed to think that these problems are uniquely Pennsylvanian. I had straight A's going back 7 years, 130's IQ, and I frequent Pottruck, so I am not just some schmuck that they let walk in the door. This can happen to you. Think twice before attending.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2016