StudentsReview :: The University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh Campus - Comments and Student Experiences

University of Delaware -- Newark, DE

The University of Pittsburgh Pittsburgh Campus

Mar 03 2014Philosophy
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
This is a great University. I would recommend it to anyone considering.
4th Year Male -- Class 2011
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Friendliness: C
Dec 18 2013Mechanical Engineering
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I absolutely love this school and I would simply not think to go anywhere else. I was originally rejected to my top choice so I applied here very last minute. I committed without actually seeing any of the campus (including the amazing Cathedral of Learning) and I am so glad that I did, because I really think I bargained right.

The academics here (at least in my major) are challenging, but definitely manageable. This school has taught me that you NEED to study AHEAD OF TIME, and that there is simply no easy way out when it comes to a good education. I was easily able to find multiple tutors for my most difficult classes and I have learned so much more in this first semester of being here than I have during any other time in my life. The exams were hard, but the professor will curve if the class average is below a 75. Most professors are helpful for the most part, and if you happen to have one that isn't much so, form a study group and take your studies into your own hands. YOU'RE here to learn, and definitely shouldn't let one bad professor turn you off from a class.

If you love to party/like a big social scene, Pitt is the place to go. I know countless students from other universities (like CMU and Duquesne) that come to Pitt on the weekends to party. I have never really had any trouble finding a party, especially if you explore South Oakland. I haven't been to the Frats, so I really can't speak for them, but the house parties that take place are pretty good and consistent. Most of the time, you won't have to pay to get in. I personally have never had any trouble finding parties on the weekends, but that's because I am on a sports team. If you aren't a partier, there are probably more things for you to do around campus and the city. Since students get Port Authority bus access for free (and they're clean, safe, and reliable), anyone can take a short ride to downtown or to Southside, where there's a TON of shopping. I have NEVER been bored at Pitt.

Dorms for the most part are pretty standard, you have your shambly dorms (specifically Holland) and your nice ones (Nordenburg, Sutherland). Freshmen are placed in a lottery and will randomly get their dorm assignments, and although you can fill out a preference, some students may not get what they want (a TON of girls specifically get placed in the all-girls dorm Holland even though it wasn't in their top three at all) but all of the dorms are completely sufficient and most students end up liking where they end up. Overall, I am so glad I came to Pitt and it's a wonderful school to learn lots, make friends, and grow as an individual. H2P!

Innovation: A+, Individual Value: B-
Oct 20 2013Accounting
Major Salary, Salary Trend, Satisfaction, Unemployment
I transferred to Pitt as a sophomore from a small liberal arts school and it was the best decision I have ever made. I was nervous about coming to such a huge school in a city from one that was in the middle of nowhere and that had roughly 2,000 students, but I can honestly say that I couldn't be happier. Pitt has exceeded every single expectation of college life and I definitely don't feel like "just a number". Classes are large but depending on the size of the class, there are usually recitations which definitely help clear up any questions students have. The city is GORGEOUS. Of course, there are some shady areas, but what city doesn't have that? Anywhere I go, on and off campus, I feel safe and it's pretty easy to learn your way around. All the people here are extremely friendly and there's always something to do, somewhere to explore, and invaluable memories to be made. There are endless opportunities in Pittsburgh and faculty/advisors are very helpful when it comes to academic advising or career questions. I've found that this school is EXTREMELY future driven. They're always trying to improve their campus, and they give the students so much excellent advice and guidance to help them shape their own future.
1st Year Female -- Class 2016