StudentsReview :: Villanova University - Comments and Student Experiences

Villanova University

Quite BrightChemical Engineering
Amazing school with a super friendly and welcoming community. Very easy to make friends and call this place home.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Faculty Accessibility: A
I am a graduate from Villanova from NewSuper BrilliantChemical Engineering
I am a graduate from Villanova from New Hampshire, with a bachelor's in chemical engineering and a minor in bioengineering. I chose Villanova based on strong academics, a chance for something new, strong community service and club opportunities, and a decent sports program. After spending four years at Villanova, all of those reasons came to be facts. The academics were challenging, although you do meet people and wonder how they got in here. There are plenty of ways to get involved in service, peace and justice, academic, and religious groups. Diversity could be improved. I myself was not a heavy drinker my first two years, and there are not as many drinking opportunities as you would find at a state college. With that said, if you choose to drink, you will find friends and places to go. The community at Villanova is unlike anything I will be able to find again. The students are generally caring and good people, and welcome to everybody. Villanova was all I could ask for and more. I highly recommend a learning community freshmen year - it's a great opportunity to meet people and experience learning together. My best friends were in my learning community freshmen year. I can say the engineering program is very strong, and the chemical engineering professors are great teachers and eager to talk, help with work, or research with.
4th Year Male -- Class 2016
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Surrounding City: C
Villanova University is an exceptional school - notNot so bright
Villanova University is an exceptional school - not perfect, but a suitable fit for me. The students are friendly and energetic, and the faculty is down-to-earth, approachable, and genuinely care about their students.

Student Body:
More than anything, students love attending Villanova because of the "community" that it fosters. Although during orientation you might think that it's somewhat cheesy that everyone keeps mentioning the "community" here on campus, it truly exists, and it's awesome! Whether at basketball games (amazing experience) Special Olympics (the largest student-run event in the world) or random events that happen across campus, you really get that feeling of being a part of a special group of people.

The students here are generally hard-working and dedicated to their studies. Although the standard for academics is high, there is not the cutthroat competition that runs rampant at other universities throughout the country. You will run into students with a diverse range of academic interests, especially in the liberal arts school. (Although business, engineering and nursing kids often take classes in their own dedicated buildings, they are in no way somehow separated from the student body, even when it comes to academics b/c of core classes.)

Greek life is a moderate deal on campus and it's totally up to you whether you want to get involved or not. It is entirely possible to completely ignore it and pretend it doesn't exist, or go out all the time and make it part of your life. About one fifth of guys and a little over a third of girls are a part of Greek life, so it's entirely up to you what you want to do!

Professors:
Generally, faculty and professors here at Villanova are amazing. As a liberal arts (political science) major, I have somewhat above average class-selection flexibility, but from my experience the professors are the best thing about Villanova. Every professor I had knew my name within the first couple of weeks. My largest class was 30 kids, my smallest was 12. I cannot guarantee this for everyone, (intro science classes can be larger) but the personal connection I have with my professors has been invaluable. They are phenomenal academics (most have field-terminal PhDs), but they genuinely care about their students. Several professors are helping me with career/internship searches, academic trajectories, etc. not because they have to, but because they want to. When people ask about my favorite thing about college, it usually boils down to friends, basketball, and my professors!

Academics:
Everyone's academic experience will vary depending on major, but if you stick with your interests Villanova surely has a strong program in your field! The business kids are highly sought after, and Villanova's Accounting, Finance, and International Business programs (from my limited business school knowledge) are especially strong. (The internships and opportunities these kids get are seriously high-profile). The engineering schools and nursing schools I know less about, though I know that they have very strong programs as well (and are more competitive application-wise). For liberal arts, I can only really speak to the phenomenal political science dept. (ranked #8 undergrad poly-sci by USA Today), but communications is huge and they have some really cool resources. Biggest majors (appear) to include communications, political science, biology (huge pre-med population).

Campus:
Beautiful campus. Looks good every season of the year. Campus is in three-ish sections: main campus, south campus, and west campus. Main campus is the hub of academics, and includes a dining hall, student center, St. Thomas of Villanova Church, and sophomore dorms. South Campus is all freshmen dorms and includes a dining hall. (South campus is highly awesome; the freshmen have their own little universe all to themselves!) West campus includes Junior apartments (which are incredible ? full kitchen, living room etc.) the Law School, and a couple other multipurpose and academic buildings. Currently seniors live in off-campus housing, but by the time readers of this becomes seniors, the ongoing construction of senior apartment complexes will most likely be completed! Living off campus isn't really a big deal for seniors (preps you for the real world) and actually ends up costing even to or less than on campus housing. With that, on future on campus housing should be welcome news for new applicants!

Student Life:
Organizations are huge, and where you're bound to meet most of your friends! I was involved with Special Olympics and it was most fun experiences I?ve had ? no exaggeration. There are a bazillion other organizations to suit your interests! Service is HUGE on campus. If you attend Villanova it is highly likely you will be involved in some type of service event or organization at some point in your college career. The University puts a commendable emphasis on this in part of its message of UNITAS, VERITAS, and CARITAS. Large and well-known organizations include Blue Key (tour guides) Orientation, Band, A Cappella, but there are literally HUNDREDS of organizations to suit your every interest!

ADVICE:
Apply EA if you can. This is a great way to show interest in the University. Even if you get deferred you can still get in, and plenty of people do!

Choose classes by professor if you can. The greatest influencer of your academic experience will be professors, so choose wisely!

Join organizations and clubs! Meet people! Have fun! But DO NOT over-commit! Save some down time.
Overall, I have enjoyed my experience at Villanova. Every college will not fit every person perfectly, but if college is what you make of it, it has certainly been easy to make Villanova work for me.

2nd Year Male -- Class 2018