StudentsReview :: Villanova University - Comments and Student Experiences

Villanova University

Villanova has an extremely strong East Coast influence,Super BrilliantMechanical Engineering
Villanova has an extremely strong East Coast influence, reflected by the student body. If I had to guess, I'd say at least 75% of the student body is from Philly, NJ, NYC, and Long Island. If you are from west of here, really make sure you do your homework and make sure you fit in here before committing here. I made the mistake of coming here, and after 2 years of trying to force it to work I am finally transferring out.Outside of the student body and social side of Villanova, the academics are excellent. This is clearly evidenced by the faculty, who really care that their students are successful in and beyond the classroom.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Scholastic Success: A+, Friendliness: F
Quite BrightGeography and Geosciences
Elitist. If you want to be recognized on campus as more than just a number, who need to fit into the "ideal Villanovan mold."
4th Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: F
I wrote a review a few years ago,Quite BrightPolitical Science
I wrote a review a few years ago, upon having first started at Villanova, and I felt I would be remiss to not offer one now that I am coming to the conclusion of my experience here.

Most of what I've said in my first review remains true, but I would like to expand on some things. To begin, the student body is still largely comprised of arrogant, snotty little private-school brats with absolutely no conception of the real world whatsoever. These are the type of people that get excited over the "Villanova Experience." I still haven't quite figured out what "Villanova Experience" means, though attending the University for the last few years has been quite an experience. There are some cool people at 'Nova, you just have to look very hard to find them, but hey, they are there. Younger students tend to be more obnoxious than older students, in my opinion, but if I overhear another conversation about vacationing in Cabo, I swear to God I'm going to explode.

The Professors are, more often than not, great. I'm not just saying this so appear as if I'm giving a genuine review of Villanova rather than ranting endlessly about how bad it is, I've had almost nothing but good experiences with the faculty. The Political Science department in particular has great educators, you just need to know what to expect getting into each class. Most of the classes are relatively easy in my opinion, but paper writing and research comes easily to me, so if you struggle with that, you may wish to consider another University. I can't really say the same for the University administration, however. Most of the office staff in the various different offices (Financial Aid, Bursars, et al.) are fairly nice, but the way the school is administered is nothing short of terrible. I don't want to go into too much detail, but at various times, I've actually been offended by some of the things required of me and said to me by employees of the University; simply put, Villanova doesn't care about you, the student, they care about the school.

Tuition will go up by a ridiculous amount while you're there, just learn and accept this now. In one of the various magazines they send out (tuition money at work, people), the University touted the "smallest tuition increase in Villanova History!" which was around 10%. After they finally figured out that the economy is in the gutter, we had a more modest 3% raise the next year, but I'm glad that I'm done after this year. After accruing roughly 50k in debt over three years, I'm not sure it was worth it.I'm sure nobody's reading this by now, so I'll just close with a few comments. If you want your undergraduate work to lead to graduate school in the Northeast, Villanova may be an option, albeit an expensive one, as the University does maintain a reputation, largely due to marketing rather than any actual value. If you want to rely on Villanova to carry you to a job, think about going somewhere with a bigger alumni base. Penn State is a good PA option, and I hear WVU is an excellent school, especially if you're not a top-of-your-class student, but Villanova simply isn't going to be enough unless you want to live in Philadelphia your whole life. Save your money and go somewhere else.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2012
Perceived Campus Safety: A, Social Life: F
Villanova University
Compare VillanovaSave Villanova

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→