StudentsReview :: Villanova University - Comments and Student Experiences

Villanova University

I have recently finished my freshman year at Villanova UniBright
I have recently finished my freshman year at Villanova University and I can honestly say I LOVED it. I had not anticipated writing a review, but after seeing the recent negative one, and recognizing all the help former reviews contributed in my decision making progress, I feel as though it is my duty to report what its like going to Villanova.

I will begin by saying I was very apprehensive going to Villanova. I was scared it would be super preppy, rich, and close minded. Coming from a big family who does not having much, and having a disinterest in designer labels, I did not think I'd fit in, but I found my niche.

Let's delve into the people. Yes, there will be a lot of Tory Birch and Vineyard Vine (Don't worry I didn't know what that meant before I went to Nova lol). There will be people who have a 1,000 balance on their school ID, BUT there are also so many down to earth, hard working people, who come from average families. Wherever you go there will be some snobby people, but its your decision who you hang out with. If you want to be around nice, genuine people, they exist at Villanova. Also, the student body is extremely kind, and polite. I cannot tell you how many people stop to open doors, or smile to each other on campus. Its a great size student body because you see people you know on campus, but you also see unfamiliar faces. I have made friends at Nova that I can see being my friends for the rest of my life. (Sidebar, the student body does not only have excellent school pride and spirit, but is also extremely attractive and easy on the eyes lol).

Let's talk next about academics. I came into Villanova as an undeclared Arts major. Just a warning if you are like me-- the engineering, business, and nursing school will tease you. I wouldn't say Villanova is the best for Arts, but its good. I highly recommend joining BRIDGE, which is a networking club for liberal art majors, and visiting the Career Center. Villanova has one of the best Career Centers in the country-- take advantage of it, its a wonderful resource! One of the best things about Nova is that you do not feel like a number. I have small class sizes, and I personally know all of my professors-- who were nothing short of amazing! This year, I have become a better writer, critical thinker, and speaker. My classes were challenging, in a good way.

And now, the social life. This is were I will admit I wish things were different. I have spent a lot of money this year on transportation because Villanova does not have frat houses on campus. All parties are off campus. Some are walking distance-- but the closest ones will be at least a mile away. If you know guys in a frat you can get a pledge ride. Many weekends friends and I would take the train and hit up parties at Penn or Temple. The only problem is you have to get a taxi back if its too late, and its usually $10 a head. (Also, if you are a guy work on your guy girl ratio, because if not you will not get into a party). I can't talk from personal experience, but joining a sorority or frat will open many social doors for you-- but you do not have to join to have a social life.

Let's talk about the actual campus. It's gorgeous, spread out, and super safe. There are two convenient train stations located on campus, so if you want to go anywhere it is easily accessible. The campus is in the suburbs, so if you are used to the hustle and bustle of the city, you might find it boring. All freshman live on south campus and have their on dining hall. Its super cozy and you get close with people-- its a little bit of a hike from campus, but its worth it.

As for my living situation, I roomed in Good Counsel. There is a chance you will be put into a triple. For some people it works, others it doesn't. Fortunately, my third roommate moved out last semester. Good Counsel is nice and spacious, and has a sink in the room. I was iffy about communal bathrooms, but they are not that bad. Try to steer clear of Stanford. Its the biggest dorm and people do not get that close. I highly recommend joining a learning community--especially the ones in Katharine! Also, apply for the summer program STOVs. It changed my life.

This is going on quite long, so I am going to wrap it up. I love Villanova, and if I could redo my freshman year at another school I wouldn't. I love the people, I love the activities, I love my professors. I cannot wait to start my sophomore year. Its truly my home.

If you decide to go to Villanova, or any school, be open, be friendly, put yourself out there, and lean into discomfort!

1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Faculty Accessibility: A+, Social Life: B-
I came to Villanova as a cross registrantNot so brightArt & Design Department
I came to Villanova as a cross registrant from nearby Rosemont College, so I can only comment on the school's academic aspects. It's undoubtedly a great school, and the professors really make you learn. I am very satisfied with the quality of education I received there.

My professors were approachable and always ready to answer any questions I had.
What was intimidating about Villanova was its size: it's a huge campus. Rosemont's tiny campus could be put into it at least five times. So you will have to do a lot of walking. There is a shuttle that comes through every hour, but I found it easier to just walk. And judging by the crowds, so did most people.

Another reviewer mentioned that most of the students were from the Mid-Atlantic states, and this is true, as most of the people I met were from New Jersey and New York. Also, the student body seemed very affluent. (Try to count the number of Hunter rain boots you see on rainy days; it's impossible.) Given this fact, it's no big surprise that sorority girl/frat boy culture is huge here. I can't comment further on Greek life, as I was only a cross-registrant, but if that's something you're into, this seems to be the right school for it.

Villanova is a good school, and I have no complaints about the education I received or the people I met there.

1st Year Female -- Class 2013
Education Quality: A, Friendliness: C+
Villanova Business School hasBrightFinance
Villanova Business School has top-notch academics. The Alumni network is almost on the level of many Ivy-leauge schools (especially if you stay in the Northeast or Mid-Atlantic). Most Alums are very successful and they eagerly help one another out professionally.
Starting Job: vice president; Preparedness: A+ Reputation: A
Villanova University
Compare VillanovaSave Villanova

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→