StudentsReview :: Waynesburg University - Comments and Student Experiences

Waynesburg University

I'm a Biology & Chemistry student

Mar 31 2014Biology
I'm a Biology & Chemistry student.
The biology department is very nice and helpful, the students and staff are the best. However, the chemistry department has fallen apart. The head of the Chemistry department has gone on a power trip and the administration here cares more about making money and pushing propaganda( their "christian" ideals).

Advice for all newcomers in the biology field:

Stay as far from the chemistry department as possible, outside of general chemistry and organic (which you'll have to take) stay away. If you can get those credits elsewhere, do so.

Learn as much as you can from your Bio professors. They are very intelligent and very easy to access, plus it will make it easier when you have to do your research project your senior year. The professors here, as well as the friends i made in the dept., have made my career here durable.

Physics here is a year of possible suicides. If you can take it elsewhere do so. The professor makes it harder than it needs to be, the tests are so hard that the average score is a 30% on each one, he is unhelpful, and condescending. Oh, and if you don't pay for a website subscription, JUST FOR BONUS POINTS, you will not get above a D.

Security here is the best, and the people who work there are easy to approach and will do anything for students.

I wish i had more positive things to say about this place, but the administration and student services people are arrogant, condescending, and Close-minded. They make everything much more difficult and I even had an issue with my RD hiding up a major incident that occurred to my room over one of my winter breaks. The rules here are strict and the administration/student services are hell-bent on enforcing them. Go ahead, read the student handbook if you get a chance, it is a string of bullcrap rules held together in ink. If you are bent on coming here then I hope you are either too ignorant to understand what is going on here or you have a tough skin, you'll need it. The 24-28k that is costs to go here is just not worth it.

4th Year Male -- Class 2014
Education Quality: A+, Individual Value: F

This school has its perks

Nov 21 2013Criminal
This school has its perks. You feel like you're at home, you know your professors and people in your major, and the atmosphere is friendly. But this school has some serious low points that everyone should know before they come here. Waynesburg is a school where most people go home over the weekends, and so campus is absolutely dead most nights. Without a car, you have limited accessibility to the essentials- Walmart, Giant Eagle, Aldi, and other necessities for a college student. The dining hall hours are absolutely horrendous. Meal exchange hours are limited, and if you have a job off campus like some people do, chances are you will not be able to use your meal plan to eat. Food is available for purchase when meal exchange hours end until 11:00pm. The cheapest meal is about $5.00. This an EXTREMELY Christian campus, so if you're like me and you're not very religious, it can be a bit of a culture shock, so be prepared.
Individual Value: A+, Surrounding City: F

This school is a joke

Apr 13 2014Criminal
This school is a joke. I came here for the Criminal Justice program and I'm leaving after one year for a number of reasons that I will get into shortly.

The faculty for the CJ department are all PHENOMENAL! If I could take them and the CSI House to my new University with me, I would. Quite honestly, they are the only good part about this school that I have seen.

The food is edible. Barely. It is usually overly salty (soup, meat, fries) or completely tasteless (vegetables, potatoes). There really isn't a happy medium there.

I had a problem with one of my professors using derogatory term in one of my classes, and nothing was done about it. He continues to use the term almost every class session.

Student Services staff is completely closed-minded and unhelpful. They do not care about your problem(s). From personal experience, I can say that they simply want you to leave them alone and deal with your problems elsewhere.

Campus security is phenomenal. They're great people down there. They are constantly seen around campus, day and night, and can take students to the hospital if necessary, which is extremely helpful. They have helped me do anything from get into my locked room to jump my car to take me to the ER when I needed to go. They're great. I have never felt unsafe on campus. It's very well lit. The edges of campus are not, and I have felt unsafe there when walking alone at night, though.

The city of Waynesburg itself is dirty, grubby, and gives off a feeling of being unsafe. I was instructed directly from administration NOT to walk alone through the city at night or even with a group of all females. I'll stop there with that description.

I have had numerous problems with my neighbors. The RAs are not at all helpful. Residence life staff in general is a complete joke. There is one RA out of 7 that I have seen on Rounds this entire semester. One. The same one, once a week when it is her night for duty.

The General Education classes are absolutely horrible. I advise you all to take as many classes before coming here so you don't have to take them here. They are absolutely torturous.

The people here are completely closed-minded. I'm borderline atheistic, and I realized that this was a Christian school before I came here and I was fine with that. What I did not realize, however, was that they were going to completely shove religion down my throat when I got here. I got scolded by my New Testament professor for not believing what he believed/how he believed. I assumed I would be taught about the religion, which I am completely fine with. But when you preach to me instead of teaching, I being to have problems, which is what happened here.

They integrate religion into EVERY class. I had to read the Book of David for my Political Science class. And I've had many discussions regarding religion in my law classes. (Separation of Church and State, anyone?)

There is less than nothing to do on weekends. Your options are: go home, go somewhere with friend(s), or sit in your room like a hermit all weekend until civilization returns to the campus. It's absolutely horrible.

The dining hours are absolutely horrible as well. Dinner is from 4:30 to 5:30 on weekends. And the cafeteria isn't big enough to hold all of the students. I would say that it holds about 400 people. Maybe 450? Out of 2,000. So you can imagine how well that works out (hint: it doesn't).

In the winter, maintenance does not understand the concept of using salt on the snow. They simply plow it, so it's unbelievably slippery. I've fallen on the mountains of hills (that are impossible to walk up in the winter) on campus multiple times, and on steps twice.

Parking is an absolute joke. There is not enough parking for all of the students and faculty. It's absolutely ridiculous.

Overall, I would honestly say don't go here. It's not worth the money. The surrounding city is horrible, there are not many good restaurants in town, and almost all require a car. Walmart is not in walking distance, and neither is Giant Eagle. You can do it, but it's quite a hike. With groceries on the way back.

90% of the student body, I would say, comes here because it's so cheap. And there's a reason it's so cheap. People on campus joke that "Waynesburg is nobody's first choice" and it shouldn't be. Trust me, y'all can do way better than this place. Some of the dorms are literally falling apart. I've walked through every dorm at least once. Thayer (boys dorm) currently has a snake living in it, Ray (girls dorm) has rotted out, dripping ceilings, and was allegedly supposed to be temporary. 50 years later, it's still standing. And it's next to the cemetery, so random people are walking 5 feet from your windows at all hours of the day. Seriously, look elsewhere. I have nothing to lose by saying any of this. I'm transferring, and it's for a reason.

Education Quality: A-, Useful Schoolwork: F