StudentsReview :: York College Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

City University of New York College of Staten Island -- Staten Island, NY
State University of New York College at Geneseo -- Geneseo, NY
Rowan University -- Glassboro, NJ

York College Pennsylvania

Bottom Line if you want to be pushedBrightNursing
Bottom Line if you want to be pushed around by administrators of residence life or other departments while the school over charges you for an education that is not of the quality your money should buy then come here. If you want to get a real education and be treated like a student rather than a cash cow for the college to milk you for every cent take a hard pass on coming here. It was a huge mistake.
2nd Year Female -- Class 1920
Campus Aesthetics: A-, Individual Value: F
Where should I begin.Super BrilliantPolitical Science
Where should I begin... How about at the top. The administration and the people "at the top" are a complete joke. The president of the school does absolutely nothing. The workers in the offices such as the Business Office or Residence Life are incompetent and half the time can't help you and aren't willing to try. There are countless stories of either me or my girlfriend going for help and being led around the building, talking to a bunch of people, only to be told "we can't help you" or "we can't do anything."

Moving down the chain, the dining options on campus suck. The two dining halls never serve anything that is appealing and the food is usually stale or under cooked. Also, a majority of the workers there are either unintelligent, unhelpful, or can't even speak English. The atmosphere is not friendly and it is almost impossible to eat healthy unless you can eat a salad twice a day for 4 years. Also, the hours of the dining halls are stupid. On weekends, they are only open from 10am to 6pm and basically serve Breakfast food all day long. Also, when you get hungry at say 7 pm or maybe you want to eat something later with your friends around 9, then I guess you are out of luck. Or if you work on the weekends, like me, then you can expect to miss the food you already paid for and have to go out and buy food somewhere else. Along those same lines, you there are only a handful of on-campus dining options. If you want anything else, you better get in your car and drive 7 to 20 minutes to grab some McDonald or something else.

The next thing, is the safety. York, for one, is not the safest place to live. But on a college campus you should feel safe. However, in my 3 years I have been here, there have been at least 20 armed robberies, 5 or so rapes, and several home break-ins. And in every one of those cases the person was never found, or if they were, it wasn't made clear to me. Also, campus safety is the definition of pointless. They don't actually do anything to make the campus safe. All they do is ride around in their vehicles and write parking tickets and other fines. They are more concerned with writing citations for having alcohol, even when being over 21 years old, than protecting the students from all the threats that exist in the area.

Moving past the workers and onto the actual York college students. The majority of them are really dumb and want nothing more than to party. Greek Life here is very big and the people involved are always having parties everyday of the week. The sororities and fraternities act like they own the campus and are, for the most part, arrogant, stuck-up, and retarded. The whole campus is basically full of people who want to party and get wasted all the time. The handful of people who don't want that, like me and some of the kids I know in my classes find themselves on the outskirts of the "social atmosphere" of York. I basically have no friends and don't fit in because I don't party and hate drinking. So if you are not into parties then I strongly recommend not coming here.

There is maybe one silver lining to York, and that would be the teachers. I am an International Relations major and I have taken 90 credits to this point. And out of them, I have had several teachers that I have developed great bonds and relationships with. These teachers have become mentors to me and I look forward to learning from them as they are intelligent and really care for you. I have only had a handful of bad teachers, but usually that is because it was for some class I had no interest in but had to take to fulfill a requirement.

However, not every major is equal and the teachers for them are not all great. My girlfriend is a Respiratory Therapist Major and the entire program is a joke and outdated. All her classes are at the hospital and that requires her to drive there and take the hospital shuttle back and forth as there is no on-campus option to get there. So if you don't have a car, this major is impossible. As far as her teachers go, they are all really bad and the person in charge of the program refuses to "let go" of old practices that aren't taught or used anymore in the field. She is forced to learn things and use machinery that hasn't been used in a decade or more. So I guess the teachers and their quality depend on your major.

Overall, I would not recommend York College of Pennsylvania to anyone. I have told several younger cousins, my brothers, and any highschoolers I have met to avoid it. I came here as I liked the "small campus" environment and I liked my major. However, if I could go back to senior year of highschool, I would have applied to other schools. The price, the people, the nonsense I have had to put up with here are not worth it and I question my degree and my education daily as I feel York was not worth anything.Thank you for reading my long review and I hope it helps you. Your college years are supposed to be your best, full of fun and full of excitement. Unfortunately, York has taken all of that from me and have left me with overwhelming disappointment and a desire to leave as soon as possible and never look back. I hope you will really consider what you want and look elsewhere for your college experience.

3rd Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: B+, Individual Value: F
I gave York all A's.Quite BrightPsychology
I gave York all A's. Let's talk about why.
I decided to be unoriginal with this review and go down the line of topics in the survey, so I'll start with the department. So far, in my second year-first semester, I've never met a professor I didn't like, or had any sort of trouble with. The staff are all INCREDIBLY nice, and some have even worked around their office hours to fit my schedule. Now, I know this whole "opinion on the staff" thing varies depending on who you get and your personal preferences, but I suggest at least trying a professor out before you decide that you want to be in their class.

I did find that the assignments I was given really challenged me to think critically, while at the same time, allowed for creative freedom.

So I can't say much about the college's safety and its local surroundings, as I am a commuter. What I can say about the campus has already been said-- the surrounding trees on the main campus are beautiful, we have a neat fountain that is sometimes filled with soap, it's overall nice to look at. Moving on :)

We have an abundance of resources here. The Center for Teaching and Learning, the writing center, counseling services, the list goes on and on. I strongly encourage others as much as I can to use them. You are paying for these services, after all!

Lastly, the social stuff. Again, I can't say much about campus life, but I found that the majority of students here are extremely nice, and will go out of their way to meet you, even if they have a group of friends in a class. Yeah, I've come across a few negative attitudes, but I'm not going to let that spoil my feelings towards the wonderful people I have met here. There are also so many clubs and organizations here. Go to some meetings, I promise you'll end up finding some like-minded people.

Look, no one deserves to feel "stuck" and unhappy, especially when they're in college. Piggybacking on to what the last poster said, find a college that you think you'll like. Having a negative experience here is one thing, but don't encourage others not to come here because you or your friends didn't have the best personal experience. For perspective students, I encourage you to go to open houses. Take a look around the school and the surrounding area. Meet the head of your major's department (if you have a major in mind).

2nd Year Female -- Class 2018