StudentsReview :: York College Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

State University of New York College at Geneseo -- Geneseo, NY
Rowan University -- Glassboro, NJ

York College Pennsylvania

Let's switch these negative Nancys up for aQuite BrightPolitical Science
Let's switch these negative Nancys up for a change:
York College is a GREAT college, at least in my humble opinion it is. I'm not a huge partier, drinker, Greek Life enthusiast, or sports person, but I still find plenty of things to do on campus. We have movie nights every Thursday and Saturday, there are themed dining hall nights, plenty of clubs, our huge pool, an awesome gym, Sparts Den, and lots of activities like Spring Fest! Heck, we had a camel last year. I repeat: I got to ride a camel on campus before my Math class. It was EPIC.

Look, YCP is not the BEST college out there. We're not A+ for parties, the city isn't AS safe as I thought it would bet, etc. But York is a FANTASTIC place to be. The teachers are nice (seriously, they're only mean if you're mean to them) and helpful, the staff are (for the most part) awesome, and Campus Safety (CAMPO!) seriously isn't that bad. Honestly, Campo has quotas they gotta fill, and if you're parking like an idiot or drinking underage or just being a general nuisance, prepare for tickets. You deserve it .3.

I find the academic side of York brilliant; the array of classes and majors is perfect for me! The languages are my favorite, but the Poli Sci classes are also really cool! We have international students come, we meet them, we talk to them, we have FUN. I seriously don't know why everyone is giving York such a bad name.

Also, not everyone here is born with a silver spoon in their mouth. I can rattle off the names of at least 12 people who work 2 or 3 jobs just to be able to come here. Even the sororities aren't that snooty (although the frats...ohhhhhhh the frats). York is great, it really is, and if you have a problem with our college then leave. Find another college to better suit your needs. But please, for the sake of all that is respectable, don't bad mouth MY college because it doesn't fit up to YOUR standards. *mic drop*

1st Year Female -- Class 2019
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: C-
Let me start with the Administration/Authorities here:Super BrilliantBusiness - Management and Administration
Let me start with the Administration/Authorities here:

Takes advantage of students. Book store is overpriced garbage. Campus safety hands out citations for traffic and alcohol violations but do absolutely nothing to help the countless students robbed and attacked on the campus perimeter. There were seven robberies within 2 blocks of my house my first semester. SEVEN. Not a single one was solved, yet there were easily at least 200 citations reported on the crime log for petty "offences" that involved collecting tiny fees from students, including a major bust at a party where there weren't even underages and the landlords actually had a special events permit. Didn't matter. It was easy money to extort. Not to mention most of the Campo look like unqualified scrawny students that quite honestly couldn't have lasted 5 minutes in my martial arts classes. Arrogant born-with-silver-spoon-in-hand administration. Everything from the mandatory "registration fee" every semester to the overpriced garbage at the book store to the way they look down on you for not having money handed to you when you have to work for yourself just screams these are all people from very well-off backgrounds that never had to struggle for anything ever and have no empathy for self-supporting students. Literally only here still because I've already been left with no choice if I want to get my Bachelors on time. Some of the professors are great but they are overshadowed by the ones that just read from their books or power points and treat you like a moron if you ask perfectly reasonable questions, such as "why do I need your special $200 formula card instead of one I can print out online?"...of course the answer to that is this is a greedy, stingy institutional culture. Don't even get me started on regulations and student senate. "Encourages innovation"...what a joke. Good luck getting anything approved that competes with the school's monopoly on everything. Absolutely pathetic.

Social atmosphere:
Kids have the same silver spoon snotty attitude that the administration have. Greek life is big here, and while some of them are alright, most of them are spoiled punks that think they're GI Joes but couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag. Partying is about the only "extracurricular activity" that's popular on campus, and those are prone to excessive violence, theft, or being busted, of course. I believe my high school was more mature than the student body here. Most of these kids have never worked a day in their life. No respect for private property and a complete entitlement attitude. Never had to earn anything they have and yet they still think everybody is obligated to treat them like children still. Annoying climate of dating drama and pretty difficult to play nice with most of them because quite honestly for the most part they're not likable people. I went through two years of community college before transferring here and never once had a problem with anybody. Since day one here, it's been nothing but middle school drama between a bunch of brats that have no idea how to wipe their own bottom ends let alone live without 24/7 supervision and financial bailouts.

Area/Surrounding city:

I've lived in York for a few years before going to school here, and York sucks, I get that. It's relatively poor and high crime. That being said, it is absolutely hilarious that this school actually bans the second amendment for students, making them prime targets for locals to rob, especially since campo doesn't do anything about it unless it's easy and makes them money. Going after actual criminals is scary stuff for underqualified mommas boys with fancy suits and titles when you can just act like drill sergeants towards suburban college kids stuck in a city for the first time. The school's culture is almost insultingly in contrast to the area's culture and locals of York and students of York college generally hate each other for good reason on both sides. York has no night life outside of bars and house parties. York college has no night life outside of bars and house parties. Ironic how similar they are in that regard, isn't it? Oh, and before I forget, three people I went to school with overdosed during my stay at this school and their deaths were not even mentioned. Not a word. Completely ignored, forgotten, swept under the rug. Absolutely disgusting lack of empathy and transparency.

Conclusion:This review may seem harsh, but it is accurate and well-deserved. This place is insulting to anyone with a sense of dignity and deserves every ounce of negative public relations it gets. Their deceptive practices are pathetic and need immediate revision. Do not go here if you have better options.

1st Year Male -- Class 2016
Education Quality: B, Individual Value: F
Do not go to this fucking stupid assQuite BrightPsychology
Do not go to this fucking stupid ass depressing ass school that claims it is diverse but has 3 people of a different race and that's it. I am transferring to temple where I know I will be better off thank god. My roommate freshman year left because she hated the school. She cried asking her parents to leave. My current roommate whom I meant last year said she went into a depression for awhile because she hated it...And still does. She is also looking to get the fuck out of this hell hole.

The professors are okay, very friendly and most are helpful. As far as education it does depend on the major. Many majors that should have concentrations do not. As far as the school in general, the dorms suck ass. The food is never cooked throughly, my roommate heard a girl got food poising from the chicken. It is always pink and for holidays the meat actually is drenched in blood and its so much blood it flows over the plate it is on and looks like a crime scene.

This fucking city has absolutely nothing for a college student let alone a child. Everything fun is in philly or another damn state like md or d.C. (yes I know d.C. Is not a state). The public transportation is horrible it takes an hour to get somewhere that is only 15 minutes away. My roommate and I called the horrible smell that fills the air "york." the paper mill stinks so damn bad it is unbearable sometimes. Also, everyone transfers because of the cost, it stucks, or they are depressed. Oh by the way what the fuck is the purpose of campus safety. The ra's actually do their job but with no protection for their self.

I am so glad I am leaving, I recommend that no one goes here, ever unless you are a commuter. Which means you are use to this horrible city, sorry that you live here. Anyway, I wish the best to my roommate because it sucks here and the only real friend I mad here was here because no one else on campus is very openminded and everyone is alike. Thats boring. Just don't go here.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A, University Resource Use: F
York College Pennsylvania
Compare YCPSave YCP

According to NPR, the cost of college tuition an... more→