StudentsReview :: York College Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

State University of New York College at Geneseo -- Geneseo, NY
Rowan University -- Glassboro, NJ

York College Pennsylvania

I am about to graduate from York College,Quite BrightEconomics
I am about to graduate from York College, and if you are thinking about coming here...read this review.

First off, this is not going to be like an "OMG this place sucks" review because YCP definitely does not suck, but this place definitely does not rock either.

I transferred to YCP because my last college DEFINITELY sucked. It was too small and it was in a bad area. I needed to find a college that would let me play soccer still and YCP thankfully allowed me to walk on. This school is NOT small. It is a Division III school, so it is big for a Division III college. If you expect a Penn State size campus, this isn't the place for you as YCP only has 5000 kids.

People on campus are either athletes or in Greek Life. There are some Theatre geeks but if you don't fit in the top category you are a minority. That is especially crucial if you want plans for the weekend. Don't think that you can walk into a Greek Life house and expect a free Natty Light on the house, because that aint happening. I never had a problem finding a party because I was on the soccer team, but house parties on "Jackson Street" get super boring (especially by November...).

On to the topic of social life, if you aren't 21 then it is really risky and nerve-wracking at YCP. Every freshman makes the mistake of taking the first sip in the dorm room and getting cited. Campus safety only cares about parking tickets and alcohol. If you make it to Jackson Street then you have to worry about the York Police and the townies. Murph's Bar can be fun, but again gets old by the end of the semester since the same people are there weekend after weekend.

I don't know if it is just YCP or not, but transferring was tough especially with friends. Friend groups are set in stone after freshman year, so I could never find a solid friend when I came to YCP my junior year. It is like a high school here, so I would watch out for that. High school in as "omg why didn't you tag me in that photo" or "was that tweet about me?"If I had the choice of committing to YCP again, I still would. I love the sport of soccer and YCP gave me the opportunity. My professors (despite some really really bad ones) gave me the knowledge in my major that gave me the opportunity to find an awesome internship. Every college is going to have awful professors and TERRIBLE dining hall food, but you have to take the good with the bad. YCP has awesome technology to help you succeed in the classroom and the shuttle does run on the weekends. The city around the campus is not as dangerous as people make it out to be, so do your research.

2nd Year Female -- Class 2015
Education Quality: A, Useful Schoolwork: D
I hate York College.BrightEnglish
I hate York College. I absolutely hate it. I would, however, like to say one positive thing about it. The professors are, for the most part, friendly and approachable. It is likely that the professors will know your name, and they are typically more than willing to help you if you are in need of it. The German professor even bought the class coffee once, and that was pretty much the best thing that I have ever experienced at this school. With that one fact aside, this school is awful. For starters, the food in the dining hall is atrocious. They have the same food every day with little to no variation, and the quality of the food is beyond poor. Plus, most of the dining hall employees are either mentally handicapped, or they don't speak English, or possibly even both. The dining halls close at six P.M. on the weekends, which doesn't tend to suit the average college student very well. The only way you could enjoy the dining hall is if you like overpaying for bad food. The social life is also terrible. If you aren't a commuter, then you probably live at school and go home on the weekends. The only people who stick around on the weekends are future drop-outs who stay to get wasted and cause trouble. I realize that I sound like your mom when I say this, but it is true. If you want to go to a party, then you'll have to head down to the infamous Jackson Street, which is a pretty bad section of an already bad city. You'll undoubtedly hear stories at some point of someone who got held up at knife-point on Jackson, or something to that effect. The Campus security is headache-inducing, and I say that because their sole purpose is to bother and interrogate anyone who looks like they may have been up to no good at some point in their life. As I write this, campus safety is going through my dorm hall trying to find someone who used the hall's public phone to register a complaint about the dining hall. They are usually downright rude, and I try to avoid them as much as possible. I am neutral to the aesthetic of the campus. The grounds crew seems to do their job alright. Some days, however, there is really bad smell that just seems to envelope the campus. It is hard to describe, but the smell is somewhat reminiscent of sulfur. I am sure that those who have attended York will know what I am talking about. I have been told that it has something to do with the paper mill that isn't too far from the campus. If you tour the campus as a prospective student, they will keep you mostly in the gym, which they absolutely love to talk about. It was built in 2008, and it is admittedly a nice gym. However, you aren't going to school to take gym classes, and you shouldn't be fooled. The campus is segmented into two parts, colloquially referred to as "East" and "West" campus. It can be a pain to walk from one side to the other, especially on cold winter days. The school does offer a transportation service, though it does not run on the weekends. Living here is just not a whole lot of fun. Academically, I think this school is alright, though some classes provide no academic value and load you down with busy work. I would recommend this school to commuters, and I strongly advise against living here. I regret my choice of college, and I am actively looking to transfer.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017
Faculty Accessibility: A-, Surrounding City: F
This school is so boring.Quite BrightOther
This school is so boring. It's literally a high school just you live at school if you don't commute. Almost everyone commutes though. The atmosphere is miserable, I've tried clubs, sports, it's all boring and completely a waste of time. The feeling you get at being at this school is that unless your out at the same 3 houses to party for 5 minutes until it's get busted before 12, then you're either in class or in your room. The people who go here walk around like their sh*t doesn't stink. Everyone keeps to themselves and you see the same 5 faces on the daily basis. This school is just making everyone miserable. No one likes it here and most just endure it to get it over with. It ruins that college experience.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018