StudentsReview :: York College Pennsylvania - Comments and Student Experiences

City University of New York College of Staten Island -- Staten Island, NY
State University of New York College at Geneseo -- Geneseo, NY
Rowan University -- Glassboro, NJ

York College Pennsylvania

This school is so boring

Nov 17 2014Other
This school is so boring. It's literally a high school just you live at school if you don't commute. Almost everyone commutes though. The atmosphere is miserable, I've tried clubs, sports, it's all boring and completely a waste of time. The feeling you get at being at this school is that unless your out at the same 3 houses to party for 5 minutes until it's get busted before 12, then you're either in class or in your room. The people who go here walk around like their sh*t doesn't stink. Everyone keeps to themselves and you see the same 5 faces on the daily basis. This school is just making everyone miserable. No one likes it here and most just endure it to get it over with. It ruins that college experience.
1st Year Female -- Class 2018
Campus Aesthetics: A, Surrounding City: D

Area: Let me just start off by saying

Oct 23 2014Nursing
Area: Let me just start off by saying the school IS pretty, they got that going for them it's a very pretty campus and the immediate areas aren't that trashy either there are some nice houses and if you're into Greek life the school gives them beautiful houses especially ast. I don't really understand why everyone says york isn't a safe place because I've walked down jackson street at 1-2 in the morning or around the neighborhood and no ones even looked twice at me. so as far as the area goes, you should be fine as long as you're somewhat intelligent about that.

Professors: Now the professors here are pretty good and they are helpful, there have been multiple incidents where I wasn't in class and my professor sat with me and we went over what I missed. If you ask they will help you!

Social scene: this is where things are going to get interesting, I NEVER knew it was possible to be this miserable at a school in my entire existence. I'm so depressed and disappointed by the way things turned out for me I could get in my car today and leave mid semester without looking back once but I want to transfer so I need to do well in order to be accepted at another school. Most students are from around here so they either go home for the weekend or they know each other from before this year. If you are going to come here I recommend coming with a friend because once friend groups are formed it's impossible to even dream about feeling welcomed into any group. People say if you know all the right people you should be okay but how do they expect you to know anyone when they don't take the time to get to know you?! It's an endless cycle of bullshit and stupidity. People go here when they're not ready to leave high school and all the drama that comes with it. I understand that you are not going to school for friends you're supposed to be gong for an education but if you are living on campus you have to be happy and I promise you won't find any happiness here.

I hate York College

Nov 22 2014English
I hate York College. I absolutely hate it. I would, however, like to say one positive thing about it. The professors are, for the most part, friendly and approachable. It is likely that the professors will know your name, and they are typically more than willing to help you if you are in need of it. The German professor even bought the class coffee once, and that was pretty much the best thing that I have ever experienced at this school. With that one fact aside, this school is awful. For starters, the food in the dining hall is atrocious. They have the same food every day with little to no variation, and the quality of the food is beyond poor. Plus, most of the dining hall employees are either mentally handicapped, or they don't speak English, or possibly even both. The dining halls close at six P.M. on the weekends, which doesn't tend to suit the average college student very well. The only way you could enjoy the dining hall is if you like overpaying for bad food. The social life is also terrible. If you aren't a commuter, then you probably live at school and go home on the weekends. The only people who stick around on the weekends are future drop-outs who stay to get wasted and cause trouble. I realize that I sound like your mom when I say this, but it is true. If you want to go to a party, then you'll have to head down to the infamous Jackson Street, which is a pretty bad section of an already bad city. You'll undoubtedly hear stories at some point of someone who got held up at knife-point on Jackson, or something to that effect. The Campus security is headache-inducing, and I say that because their sole purpose is to bother and interrogate anyone who looks like they may have been up to no good at some point in their life. As I write this, campus safety is going through my dorm hall trying to find someone who used the hall's public phone to register a complaint about the dining hall. They are usually downright rude, and I try to avoid them as much as possible. I am neutral to the aesthetic of the campus. The grounds crew seems to do their job alright. Some days, however, there is really bad smell that just seems to envelope the campus. It is hard to describe, but the smell is somewhat reminiscent of sulfur. I am sure that those who have attended York will know what I am talking about. I have been told that it has something to do with the paper mill that isn't too far from the campus. If you tour the campus as a prospective student, they will keep you mostly in the gym, which they absolutely love to talk about. It was built in 2008, and it is admittedly a nice gym. However, you aren't going to school to take gym classes, and you shouldn't be fooled. The campus is segmented into two parts, colloquially referred to as "East" and "West" campus. It can be a pain to walk from one side to the other, especially on cold winter days. The school does offer a transportation service, though it does not run on the weekends. Living here is just not a whole lot of fun. Academically, I think this school is alright, though some classes provide no academic value and load you down with busy work. I would recommend this school to commuters, and I strongly advise against living here. I regret my choice of college, and I am actively looking to transfer.
2nd Year Male -- Class 2017