StudentsReview :: The Rhode Island School of Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA

The Rhode Island School of Design

I am content with my time at RISD.Quite BrightFine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I am content with my time at RISD. I am almost halfway through my Senior year here and like everything in life there have been ups and downs, but more ups I would say. I have really lucked out with nearly all of my professors in my department and in Liberal Arts. I can only name one or two teachers who were really disappointing and I believe both of them are no longer employed at RISD. In my Department, we are required to take critique classes as well as a Seminar which I am in now that basically teaches us the "business" of the art world we are entering. I feel fully prepared to apply for grants, jobs, and to graduate institutions. I am fully involved and motivated in MY OWN art, which is the most important thing I am taking away from RISD. Even in a troubling economy, I don't feel RISD has failed me in any way, even if attaining jobs and grants is difficult for me later. My teachers have taught me how, so getting the things I want falls on MY shoulders now. I do think that some facilities could be improved upon, and that there should be MORE studio space (I have a studio, but I wish it were bigger...). I attended European Honors Program, and believe that it is the most enriching experiences RISD has to offer, and I highly recommend applying for it. However, on the program I also found the facilities at RISD's Rome Campus sub-par. I don't like Providence. I think it is a charming town to visit but it is boring and the people here are dull. I am tired of it... That being said I MAINTAIN that I chose RISD for the education, and though it was hard being a younger student here, the older I get the more I can appreciate how worthwhile RISD's faculty, resources, and reputation is to my future as an artist in the real world. RISD is hard, but you WILL make good grades in through sophomore, junior, and senior years because you won't pass freshman year if you can't hack it. I haven't made below a B- in any class and the only people I know who failed classes freshman year no longer attend RISD. YES, ITS REAL HARD WORK. Not just drawing from still lives which gets you NO where in the art world today. RISD is for serious contemporary artists. I want to speak to freshmen or incoming freshmen to choose your majors wisely, and visit the faculty of the departments. You can always switch majors if you don't feel you are getting what you want out of a department. Printmaking and sculpture faculty are realistic and engaging. I don't feel the same about some of the other fine arts departments.
more→Oct 13 2010
3rd Year Female -- Class 2011
Education Quality: A+, Surrounding City: B-
RISD is a highly competitive art & designBrightInterior Design
RISD is a highly competitive art & design school. If you are not ready to pull weekly almost daily all-nighters, stay in studio to work past midnight everyday, and find yourself listening to 2 hour critiques, and having to endure "constructive criticism" about how you are a bad artist/not creative or that you just suck then DONT even consider coming here. And for those of you who think art is easy- well RISD will prove you wrong, I don't think i've been this challenged before in terms of academics- and I took 7 APs in hs, was in NHS, and had a part-time job and took a whole bunch of extracurriculars, and thats easy compared to RISD.

People here are all very passionate about art, very arrogant and opinionated and a lil obnoxious. And as with all other art schools, the majority of the students are a little wacky, to b normal here u rlly have to be abnormal. Even the professors are very open, whether it be with their sexuality (my english professor read to our class a book she published on masturbation which apparently is based on personal experiences..humm) etc.

90%+ of the student body are girls, and of the 10%, 5% are gay guys. go to brown if ur looking for a love life.

the entire campus is on a hill, imagine having to carry a toolbox, portfolio, laptop up and down a hill everyday- not so pleasant.

however, despite my personal dissatisfactions with risd, it is a prestigious art school (#1 in ranking), if u survive RISD you could more or less guarantee urself a good job.

So it really just comes down to your priorities and passion for art. Good luck!

more→Oct 07 2010
3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C-
Art & Design Department
Everybody is so effing wierd.
i thought it wouldn't matter since i sort of went to a highschool like risd.
however, i feel too "normal" to really fit in with people here.plus there are no blacks. the only minority represented is asian....
more→Mar 10 2010