StudentsReview :: The Rhode Island School of Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA

The Rhode Island School of Design

The experience that you get out of RISD

Nov 13 2008Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
The experience that you get out of RISD is directly proportionate to the motivation you bring to it. There are a number of large egos here but they are the minority and tend not to outlast the beatings they take. I note that many of the negative reviews are from 1st years. I resented the $ when I was there, but in retrospect, I have to say that many of the shortcomings I criticized the institution for were actually my own. I would love to go back, the place is like a very expensive Art-based Hogwarts. If you can pay the freight, the education you receive will be good and will sweeten with time and experience. I think this place teaches you to think creatively and interdisciplinarily like nowhere else.
Starting Job: Independent designer Preparedness: B+ Reputation: A

Excellent graphic design program,

Nov 05 2008Design Arts - Industrial Design/Graphic Design/etc
Excellent graphic design program, once you get past the difficult foundation year. The professors are the best in the field, but most of your learning will be from your peers, all of whom are interested and engaged in their major. My one complaint is that there is a lack of community.
2nd Year Female -- Class 2012
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: B-

I really think that the school is worth

Jan 04 2009Fine Arts - Painting/Sculpture/Photography/etc
I really think that the school is worth it. The faculty members in my department are really helpful, dedicated and knowledgeable. I'm not a very social people and hang out only with few people. I can't seem to connect with many other people in the class, but they generally mingle with one another on and off class. They are friendly, though. The location of the campus is in the heart of Providence, a nice little city between Boston and NY. I like the quiet city. It has just about enough of everything that you need to survive and focus on your work.

Do NOT expect:

-to find sports club that compete big-time against other colleges.
-to find everyone sporting school spirit in their chests.
-to find parties in-campus (off-campus activities are subject to connections)
Do expect:
-to endure the allegedly tough foundation year if you apply as freshman
-to work your arse off
-to endure harsh critiques of your work (depending on your department)-to learn from classmates' questions, problems and suggestions

3rd Year Male -- Class 2008