StudentsReview :: The Rhode Island School of Design - Comments and Student Experiences

Pratt Institute -- Brooklyn, NY
Savannah College of Art and Design -- Savannah, GA

The Rhode Island School of Design

RISD is a highly competitive art & designBrightInterior Design
RISD is a highly competitive art & design school. If you are not ready to pull weekly almost daily all-nighters, stay in studio to work past midnight everyday, and find yourself listening to 2 hour critiques, and having to endure "constructive criticism" about how you are a bad artist/not creative or that you just suck then DONT even consider coming here. And for those of you who think art is easy- well RISD will prove you wrong, I don't think i've been this challenged before in terms of academics- and I took 7 APs in hs, was in NHS, and had a part-time job and took a whole bunch of extracurriculars, and thats easy compared to RISD.

People here are all very passionate about art, very arrogant and opinionated and a lil obnoxious. And as with all other art schools, the majority of the students are a little wacky, to b normal here u rlly have to be abnormal. Even the professors are very open, whether it be with their sexuality (my english professor read to our class a book she published on masturbation which apparently is based on personal experiences..humm) etc.

90%+ of the student body are girls, and of the 10%, 5% are gay guys. go to brown if ur looking for a love life.

the entire campus is on a hill, imagine having to carry a toolbox, portfolio, laptop up and down a hill everyday- not so pleasant.

however, despite my personal dissatisfactions with risd, it is a prestigious art school (#1 in ranking), if u survive RISD you could more or less guarantee urself a good job.

So it really just comes down to your priorities and passion for art. Good luck!

3rd Year Female -- Class 2012
Collaboration/Competitive: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C-
As this is my personal review on RISD,Super BrilliantIndustrial Design
As this is my personal review on RISD, a little background on 'me'- I am the type that relishes hard work and criticism. It is how I learn. (Comment 1- RISD is not for the softhearted, which it shouldn't if it's going to prepare you to go into the real world in four years).

However like mentioned by previous reviewers, a lot of this work might seem redundant or like 'busywork'. This is partly because RISD is a heavily 'technical' school, if you are unaware. It is a bit 'outdated' this way- for example in the ID department we focus a lot more on metal and woodworking than any other school and less on the 'design'. But I personally like that, because in my opinion, if you want to go far, strong basic knowledge in your major is exactly the thing we're suppose to be learning in undergrad. Yes you could ask a school to teach you 'creativity', and for freedom to 'try your own projects', but to be bluntly honest at this point do you have enough SKILL to support your creativity (which btw is not something that can be taught).

Be aware though, if you are not someone who have a self-organized system that enables you to glean what needs to be learnt from the mass of information shoved at you, you might verywell be lost. But it's a wonder what you can learn if you step back from the mundane 'work'- it is also this work that enables you to do the stepping back.

I personally was and am very disappointed at the (majority of) staff and resources here. RISD doesn't seem to provide helpful aid in, well any way. But the students here are amazing, brilliant, but most of all motivated people. I learn 90% the time more from peers than the professors.I love RISD. I am an international student and I received quite substantial amounts of scholarship from many other schools, but like a senior student once passed down to me I will pass to you all- if you want to thrive in the long run come to RISD, it might be hard to find normal employment right off the bat because what it has equipped you are the 'things' essential to become leaders, not followers.

4th Year Female -- Class 2017
Education Quality: A+, Extracurricular Activities: C
Art & Design Department
Everybody is so effing wierd.
i thought it wouldn't matter since i sort of went to a highschool like risd.
however, i feel too "normal" to really fit in with people there are no blacks. the only minority represented is asian....